Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Three New Signings Already

Holden, Ricketts and Sean Davis.

Holden might not be fit for start of season - will have to see.

Ricketts is no better defending at right-back than Steinsson, though is good cover for centre-back.

S Davis won't have played for 2 years when he does get back, for which we have no date yet.

Not 'three new signings' I'd want to pin next season on.

How about being constructive and give response to my suggestions/ideas, isn't that what a forum is for, I typed that with thought and care, some people are so inconsiderate ;) :rofl:

I aggre with about half the points you have raised diddles

As long as they don't give Elmander a new contract but I bet he gets one and re-signs.

Bye bye JOB,Ricardo (thanks for your service mate and Cohen.

Al Habsi No 1 next year.

Need RB,LB and new CB for when Cahill goes.

CM and 2 new strikers.

Can't see KD being anymore than bit part player next season.

Promote the youth next year.

• Site Supporter

As long as they don't give Elmander a new contract but I bet he gets one and re-signs.

Bye bye JOB,Ricardo (thanks for your service mate and Cohen.

Al Habsi No 1 next year.

Need RB,LB and new CB for when Cahill goes.

CM and 2 new strikers.

Can't see KD being anymore than bit part player next season.

Promote the youth next year.

Who from the youth?

Seems an odd one, claiming Holden, Davis and Ricketts as "new signings". Holden has only missed a handful of games, so I don't see why the claim fits there. Davis, we have no idea when he will be fit and (if he ever is) whether he will stay fit. Ricketts has played about 20 games this season, so again I'm not sure how the "new signing" tag fits. If they are new signings, then every player becomes a "new signing" during the summer, because they haven't played in ages.

The fact is that only Holden of the three is likely to have a real impact when he returns.

Guest Biff

Likely to be given a run out this season(?)

I wouldn't think that Vela good prospect that he is will make the first team either this season or next.

Can a club of our stature afford to let any reasonable player leave on a free transfer?

It depends on how much he wants to be paid to stay. A club of our stature can't afford to pay someone megabucks in return for one good month during the entirety of his contract.

Elmander is now at the age where he will only get one more big contract so he'll go to whoever is offering him the most... and I really can't see that being us.

Can a club of our stature afford to let any reasonable player leave on a free transfer?

I agree we cannot really afford to let players go as it costs to replace them but I do not think at his age that he can be taught how to stay in position and try to stop crosses coming in, he is a drain on the wage bill and I think letting him go and trying to find somebody a bit more competent is a risk worth taking.

Edited by Big_Sharps

Oops.

Regarding Steinsson then, his defending has been nothing short of abysmal this season. Any half-decent winger who likes to run at a full-back absolutely destroys him.

He's worth keeping hold of, but only as back-up IMO... and on a vastly reduced wage to what we must be paying him now.

Seems like a nice chap though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.