Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

80Mph

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the brake technology is the complete issue here though.... I reckon reaction time is as important. An 85 year old with ceramic brakes is still going to take an age to react compared to an 18 year old with an anchor to throw out the window.

You have to legislate for the worst possible scenario I suppose.

I still agree the limit should be raised though

• Site Supporter

I don't think the brake technology is the complete issue here though.... I reckon reaction time is as important. An 85 year old with ceramic brakes is still going to take an age to react compared to an 18 year old with an anchor to throw out the window.

You have to legislate for the worst possible scenario I suppose.

I still agree the limit should be raised though

Is 80 enough for it to be raised to

What about the 70 to 80 signs.

I have never seen a sign that says 70 mph on it, its always the generic national speed limit sign instead

unofficialy the limit has been 80 for years anyway, the cops wont pull you and the cameras wont go off until you do above 79 mph

Edited by Danny G

There are 70MPH signs on slip roads

edit to say... I was talking bollocks

This is taken from Speedlimit.org

All roads with a motorway designation, e.g. M6 or A627(M), have a default speed limit of 70 mph unless signs indicate otherwise - for example, the A57(M) Mancunian Way in Manchester has a 50 mph limit as it has some very tight junctions. This 70 limit includes the handful of single-carriageway roads with motorway status such as the A6144(M) off the M60 near Sale.

Speed limit roundels painted on the road surface may be used to supplement a system of speed limit repeaters, but on their own do not constitute a legal system of speed limit marking. For a limit to be enforceable, the proper number of repeaters must also be present.

Edited by jazza

Seriously?

I can honestly say I have never seen a 70 mph sign.

I have edited my post.. was talking bollocks

The only 70MPH signs will be at the end of 50MPH limited areas for example.

Look at my last post, I've pasted official explaination

• Site Supporter

I have never seen a sign that says 70 mph on it, its always the generic national speed limit sign instead

unofficialy the limit has been 80 for years anyway, the cops wont pull you and the cameras wont go off until you do above 79 mph

should never see that sign on a motorway, as, the national speed limit law doesn't apply on motorways. 70 should be displayed at the start of motorways and slip roads entering a motorway from different speed limits.

should never see that sign on a motorway, as, the national speed limit law doesn't apply on motorways. 70 should be displayed at the start of motorways and slip roads entering a motorway from different speed limits.

that's precisely what I thought.

• Members

Surely on a motorway it's 70mph unless stated otherwise. If there are variable limits - ie on the M25 at certain times - then when/where it reverts back to 70mph then the national speed limit sign would be displayed, not a sign saying 70mph.

Just think about the signs at the end of roadworks where a lower limit has been enforced, it's always the white circle with a diagonla black line.

I think I've read somewhere you use 20% more fuel at 80 rather than 70.

Aye but you'll travel 10 miles further in an hour which is 12.5%

It's up to whether you you value time more than money

Edited by jazza

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.