Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Closed Pubs

M G WHITES

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what they can do about it as you dont need planning permission (permitted development rights) to change a pub (A4 use class) into a shop (A1,2 & 3 use class). They could convert it into the shops as approved and then apply for the change into a vets at a later date when everybody realises it will never be a pub again and gives up.

They want to flatten it and build a purpose built vets surgery.

There's no actual legal protection on the building just this appeal from this fella.

Good luck to him ! hope he wins ! At least someone's standing up for an historical building

I agree with that, everyone tells us that Chester is better to shop in but barring Cheshire Oaks its not. It's nicer because of original buildings with character. Now I might be being biase because it was my local but it's a lovely building front and back, with signs of historical heritage all over it, but it needs saving.

I agree with that, everyone tells us that Chester is better to shop in but barring Cheshire Oaks its not. It's nicer because of original buildings with character. Now I might be being biase because it was my local but it's a lovely building front and back, with signs of historical heritage all over it, but it needs saving.

Ha Ha! You are funny, BB.

Breightmet, the Chester of Bolton

• Site Supporter

Now I know we don't have WKD fights in our boozers unlike Horwich but our stone buildings like the ones around Red Bridge need preserving, we can't lower our standards to these pauper areas :)

indeed, we could even let the cop shop across the road shut and move to Hall Ith wood where such things are needed, such is the peaceful nature of the area. :shifty:

Believe we are having a Mc D's where the labour club used to be, though this could just be the lads on site telling kids lies when mythered about whats going on. I usually say mosque when on a site and get asked, that gets the jungle drums going whichever town you're in :D

Edited by fatolive

Wetherspoons are taking over round here....

Including St Annes,there are 7 already on the Fylde with another 2 due to open in Layton and North shore.

9 Wetherspoons....give the pisspots what they want I suppose.

How many you got in Bolton??

Believe we are having a Mc D's where the labour club used to be, though this could just be the lads on site telling kids lies when mythered about whats going on. I usually say mosque when on a site and get asked, that gets the jungle drums going whichever town you're in :D

Where Breightmet Labour Club used to be will be a building for kids with Autism. I ain't got a clue where you got McD's from :)

Good luck to him ! hope he wins ! At least someone's standing up for an historical building

say he saves it then what?

it stays empty for years like Breightmet library or gets burnt down like the Greenwood?

If someone has a viable use for them I'm all in favour of keeping historical buildings, but just leaving things standing because they're old does nobody any good.

It's not like the hare and hounds has any great architectural prestige either.

I know i'm probably on my own here and will get flack for this but i dont see any issue in taking the H&H down if someone has a better use for the site

• Site Supporter

it stays empty for years like Breightmet library or gets burnt down like the Greenwood?

If someone has a viable use for them I'm all in favour of keeping historical buildings, but just leaving things standing because they're old does nobody any good.

I know i'm probably on my own here and will get flack for this but i dont see any issue in taking the H&H down if someone has a better use for the site

that's a fancy antique auction house now, and was it not the council that made that building empty?

that's a fancy antique auction house now, and was it not the council that made that building empty?

I never said it wasn't.

I didn't know it'd been turned into an auction place, last i'd heard it had been refused planning for a restaurant due to lack of parking where do all the auction hunters park then?

I never said it wasn't.

I didn't know it'd been turned into an auction place, last i'd heard it had been refused planning for a restaurant due to lack of parking where do all the auction hunters park then?

Bolton planners. A current bugbear, actually they're a constant one.

How does one get to be in the council planning department?

• Site Supporter

I never said it wasn't.

no i know you didnt, wasnt having a pop, just the original use of that building was transferred, not that the building want needed as the service provided by it is still in use up the road.

bargain hunt types have permission to park on the top car park of St Osmunds church, the prospective restaurant owners made a rod for their own back regarding the same arrangement (different story all together) so permission was refused for them.

Guest Frandsen08

Sure is.Still owned by the same bloke(Bill)and still a lot of the same old faces in there too.Its another one of those time warp pubs where nowt changes!

Brilliant, i have been in a few times, but the spirits and beers they have in there that you have never heard about are lethal, plus its impossible to get out of with the door of coats!

There's nothing wrong with the structure bar where the new owners loosened the tiles on the roof (what have been there for god knows how many years) before the local councillors visited so it looks like it needs a new roof. That's how they get round the history of the building, make it look worse than it is, even turning a blind eye to break ins hoping one day it's torched.