Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

What I Love About Bolton

tomski

It's a magnet, it's home. No matter where you go in the world you'll be back here one day, it's changed for the worse in the last 20yrs but it's ours. They don't call Bolty that because the town isn't in his heart and I'm sure there's 1,000's more around the globe who feel the same. I love my town, there's room for improvement but I love it.

True. No matter where one lives,

or how many years pass. Once

a Boltonian,always a Boltonian!

COYWM!

I live outside if Bolton for the time being. Plenty of posh southerners are always taking the piss about the town and about the football club. I could quite easily say I'm from Manchester. But why the fuck would I when I can proudly say no, I'm a Bolton lad.

I need to slow down on this JD.

I live outside if Bolton for the time being. Plenty of posh southerners are always taking the piss about the town and about the football club. I could quite easily say I'm from Manchester. But why the fuck would I when I can proudly say no, I'm a Bolton lad.

Then they'd start calling Manchester in the same vein. Having lived down there a few years ago and sporadically spending time down there, I was and still am quite astounded at the backward view of us Northerners by many Southerners.

Odd folk they are, quite myopic really.

Edited by no balls

Then they'd start calling Manchester in the same vein. Having lived down there a few years ago and sporadically spending time down there, I was and still am quite astounded at the backward view of us Northerners by many Southerners.

Odd folk they are, quite myopic really.

They're just intimidated by our intoxicating mixing of practicality with artistry, earthiness with intellectualism and the ability to cut through the bullshit and grasp the nettle. :) Here's George Orwell with a few words on the topic...

There exists in England a curious cult of Northernness, sort of Northern snobbishness. A Yorkshireman in the South will always take care to let you know that he regards you as an inferior. If you ask him why, he will explain that it is only in the North that life is ‘real’ life, that the industrial work done in the North is the only ‘real’ work, that the North is inhabited by ‘real’ people, the South merely by rentiers and their parasites. The Northerner has ‘grit’, he is grim, ‘dour’, plucky, warm-hearted, and democratic; the Southerner is snobbish, effeminate, and lazy — that at any rate is the theory. Hence the Southerner goes north, at any rate for the first time, with the vague inferiority-complex of a civilized man venturing among savages, while the Yorkshireman, like the Scotchman, comes to London in the spirit of a barbarian out for loot. And feelings of this kind, which are the result of tradition, are not affected by visible facts. Just as an Englishman five feet four inches high and twenty-nine inches round the chest feels that as an Englishman he is the physical superior of Camera (Camera being a Dago), so also with the Northerner and the Southerner. I remember a weedy little Yorkshireman, who would almost certainly have run away if a fox-terrier had snapped at him, telling me that in the South of England he felt ‘like a wild invader’. But the cult is often adopted by people who are not by birth Northerners themselves. A year or two ago a friend of mine, brought up in the South but now living in the North, was driving me through Suffolk in a car. We passed through a rather beautiful village. He glanced disapprovingly at the cottages and said:

‘Of course most of the villages in Yorkshire are hideous; but the Yorkshiremen are splendid chaps. Down here it’s just the other way about — beautiful villages and rotten people. All the people in those cottages there are worthless, absolutely worthless.’

Substitute Yorkshireman for Boltonian, and the beautiful villages for Shoreditch etc.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

When speaking to foreigners about where I'm from I tell them "Boltons in North West England, Liverpools near it". :)

When speaking to foreigners about where I'm from I tell them "Boltons in North West England, Liverpools near it". :)

Wherever we go in the world, they know of Bolton, because of our time int Prem

Worked in a few places over the years, Pusan, Kalamazoo, Paris, Pune, Nantes etc on business, one thing is always common, if they hadn't heard of Bolton initially, by the time I'd left they knew about the towns history, football, and always be an ABU