Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Market Place/bolton Town Centre/rant Page.

Horwich

• Moderators

Read on twatter a post by Reebok Voice saying he had been in The Market Place and was suprised to see so many empty shops.

I think he said 20 odd closed. I went in sunday and also couldnt believe how many closed!

Well according to the Bolton News, another 2 are closing.

Top man and The body shop.

Place will be closed in 5 years!!

Edited by Horwich

• Moderators

see, when i'm not in rant mode, i'm symapthetic and think to myself taht they're just victims of the changing times

then i think, is it not their job to see times changing and adapt

and, as been said many times before, bury has plenty retail parks, it has the metro to manchester is an even bigger draw over there

trafford still casts a large shadow over them, so why is it bury can have what looks like a nice, busy hub

is it that the cost of the rock units is that much lower?

They should revive it with loads of small, independent stalls selling niche goods - stuff it's not worth sourcing online, or difficult to source online...Like, erm...it was in the first place.

They'd have to cater for those that still come into town now tho', so loads of small stalls offering loans at ursurous urrsur extortionate rates of interest, gold-buying, items for £1, scratchcards/fags and pasties.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

It needs to contract, the more empty shops one has to pass to get to the open ones - not good, it's too big for purpose.

Bulldoze the Newport Street 'Parade' and move the Market there. That'd be a start.

Offer incentives to shift businesses around, try and create 'quarters'. Victoria Square for a food quarter? Take advantage of it not looking like a shithole to encourage outdoor seating? Rename it Vittoria Piazza. :)

• Moderators

That's it, I live in Bolton, work in Manc. I went into the centre once last year, into Holland & Barrett then back into the car and home for a shower.

Bloke across the street reckons he collared a Romania robbed in a charity shop!

Surely the answer is to put the Victorian parts back and make Bolton different? That can be done far cheaper than rebuilding the whole place.

• Moderators

Labour have only been in control since 2011.

I haven't heard any Tories or Lib Dems doing fuck all.

Maybe be need to put contact/Twitter details of all councillors on here and ask for a statement.

Of course, anyone dissing Bolton is accused of talking Bolton down by our straight as they come, trustworthy leader, Cllr Morris.

It's not just our town it's everywhere, the Market Hall is a disaster I admit but this recession and new spend trends has caught a lot of people out. I agree with Newport Arcade getting bulldozed, just like Bradshawgate, but once Trinity Street is done up well be reet, given the right investment and infrastructure fingers crossed.

I go to Chorley for bits and bobs, the market isn't full of refugees & they have a Booths. Maybe because it's easier for me, I don't know, but it certainly doesn't feel as scutty.

The Bolton M&S may be bigger than the Middlebrook one but I'm fucked if I'm paying to park on that underground carbuncle.

Blackburn 'Mall' (God I hate that word) used to be a real shithole. It pains me to admit it but they have done a bloody good job of turning it into somewhere actually worth visiting. Still loads of the dregs of society wandering around but no surprises there...

Blackburn 'Mall' (God I hate that word) used to be a real shithole. It pains me to admit it but they have done a bloody good job of turning it into somewhere actually worth visiting. Still loads of the dregs of society wandering around but no surprises there...

Especially when pronounced Maul.

That's the problem, bolton town centre was so busy giving it the victim complex of middlebrook and Trafford centre being there that it did nothing to challenge it besides shooting itself in the foot.. I'm not suggesting other surrounding towns are like Manhattan but bury for one is a great example of a town riding out the storm