Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Official Boxing Thread...

gonzo

• Site Supporter

Fury - Wilder is #1 vs #2.

Theres absolutely nowhere for him to go now.  He's not the sort to keep defending in easy fights either.  Uysk is a mismatch and he destroys AJ (as does Wilder)

Cant see who he fights next.

One of the all time greats

• Members
3 minutes ago, royal white said:

Following on from @barryk32and @gonzo where does Fury come in the top heavyweights of all time? Is he in anyone’s top 5/10

Heavyweight yes definitely top 10

overall no, not yet at least. 

People won’t get want to hear it but AJ has had tougher opponents 

Pulev, Klitschko, Povetkin, Parker, Martin, Brezeale, Whyte, Molina, Takam

Fury has beaten Wilder 3 times IMO and after that Klitschko who else is on his resume? Chisora 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Heavyweight yes definitely top 10

overall no, not yet at least. 

People won’t get want to hear it but AJ has had tougher opponents 

Pulev, Klitschko, Povetkin, Parker, Martin, Brezeale, Whyte, Molina, Takam

Fury has beaten Wilder 3 times IMO and after that Klitschko who else is on his resume? Chisora 

Thing is Fury has had his chequered past due to his problems but always finds a way to win. Though he may not have fought those mentioned Wilder beats them all.... & he has destroyed Wilder. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, royal white said:

I think Tyson is mint, hes quality and I’m a big fan but he wouldn’t make my top 5 just because of who he has (or hasnt) faced. 

I get that, to be fair. Because he did beat some right old dross, but he also had way more fights than modern boxers so his stamina was tested more.

Who’s your top 5?

• Members
Just now, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Thing is Fury has had his chequered past due to his problems but always finds a way to win. Though he may not have fought those mentioned Wilder beats them all.... & he has destroyed Wilder. 

Win with who though? There’s too many nobodies in his list for him to be considered HW the greatest of all time without throwing in hypotheticals 

Can only beat the men in front of you I get that, but has he been truly tested other than Wilder? 

And I’m a Fury Fan. That’s the best I’ve seen him box, clinch, respond, counter last night. 

Wilder came out and boxed in the first and he looked like he had learned but as soon as he got figured out he went trying to throw these heavy rights over and over again and gassed himself out and then had no business being in the ring with a long reach boxer 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Rudy said:

Win with who though? There’s too many nobodies in his list for him to be considered HW the greatest of all time without throwing in hypotheticals 

Can only beat the men in front of you I get that, but has he been truly tested other than Wilder? 

And I’m a Fury Fan. That’s the best I’ve seen him box, clinch, respond, counter last night. 

Wilder came out and boxed in the first and he looked like he had learned but as soon as he got figured out he went trying to throw these heavy rights over and over again and gassed himself out and then had no business being in the ring with a long reach boxer 

Even if Fury beat everyone on your list it wouldn't make it any more of a case for him to be called an all time great. He is by far the best of his generation though. 

• Members
Just now, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Even if Fury beat everyone on your list it wouldn't make it any more of a case for him to be called an all time great. He is by far the best of his generation though. 

Don’t dispute that I just think his record of who he has fought and beat isn’t as impressive as other HW’s

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Don’t dispute that I just think his record of who he has fought and beat isn’t as impressive as other HW’s

I agree but he can't do anything about the quality out there. Personally I wouldn't write him off against anyone of the past greats.... With possibly the exception of a peak Mike Tyson. 

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Mannyroader said:

Punch him on the ear trick works again, possible burst eardrum. Wilder was off balance after round 4. So brave; don't know how he stayed on his feet in round 7.

Fury now has a mandatory defence v Whyte or Wallin. Win that and he fights the winner of the AJ v Usyk rematch, presumably.

If only Wilder had deployed the "punch him on the ear" tactic.