Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Play-Off Final

davidjack

Derby for me. Think QPR could go into meltdown if they don't go up.

I see both have sold 38k tickets. You'd expect QPR to, given it's like a home game and their first appearance in a final for nearly 30 years. Derby sold out in a few hours and got an extra allocation of 64 quid tickets which also went like hot cakes.

I'd like to think we'd take that many but we've never seemed to sell out for a play-off, yet for the two League Cup finals 33k tickets went in no time and we could have sold more (especially for Boro which we all know about). I just wonder why that is...?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most disappointing for me was Preston when we had about 25 or 26k to their 28 or 29k. It was their first final for decades I suppose, whereas we've had 10 appearances at Wembley or Cardiff since 86. It just seems it's the finals with the chance of a trophy where our fans decide they want to take their whole family with em, rather than for a play-off which is mainly regulars.

Yeah, Watford only had about 7 miles to travel, which helped them sell 38k, though we took 31k that day which was a good effort. But how many of those 38k have been regulars before or since? Not many - I bet half have never watched Watford again.

The most disappointing for me was Preston when we had about 25 or 26k to their 28 or 29k. It was their first final for decades I suppose, whereas we've had 10 appearances at Wembley or Cardiff since 86. It just seems it's the finals with the chance of a trophy where our fans decide they want to take their whole family with em, rather than for a play-off which is mainly regulars.

... apart from losing the 1954 FA Cup Final to WBA.

Derby for me but for different reasons. On 31 minutes today, the Derby fans will applaud for a dear friend of mine, Colin Bloomfield, who has terminal cancer at 31 years of age. Colin, until recently, fronted BBC Radio Derby's Breakfast show, but the tumours have spread to his brain and he doesn't have long left unless a miracle cure can be found. Col is actually a massive Shrewsbury Town fan and I have had the absolute privilege of commentating with him on ShrewsPlayer a few times. Sadly, his father - also a brilliant journalist with the Beeb - lost his life last week at 80 so as you can imagine, Colin and his family aren't having the best of times right now. He's a guest of the club today so COYR I say. Any twitter followers he's @colinbloomfield or search #clap4bloomfield. Thanks.

Derby for me but for different reasons. On 31 minutes today, the Derby fans will applaud for a dear friend of mine, Colin Bloomfield, who has terminal cancer at 31 years of age. Colin, until recently, fronted BBC Radio Derby's Breakfast show, but the tumours have spread to his brain and he doesn't have long left unless a miracle cure can be found. Col is actually a massive Shrewsbury Town fan and I have had the absolute privilege of commentating with him on ShrewsPlayer a few times. Sadly, his father - also a brilliant journalist with the Beeb - lost his life last week at 80 so as you can imagine, Colin and his family aren't having the best of times right now. He's a guest of the club today so COYR I say. Any twitter followers he's @colinbloomfield or search #clap4bloomfield. Thanks.

What's your twitter Salop? Will follow your mate and I hope it goes well as it possibly can for him.

They are, but they seem to have built their fanbase significantly since they moved grounds. The old Baseball Ground only held 20k and they had a smaller average crowd than us in 78-79 - even though they'd won the old Div 1 title twice in the previous 7 years.

Now following you both. Will listen out at 31 minutes.

Hope Derby get the result for your mate!