Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nfl

clown

• Site Supporter

Did you see the nfl show last week when they did a peice on the atlanta qb and how they communicate the plays?

Throwing is the least of their worries

The one with Matt Ryan and his coach?

It was brilliant. Learning all the codes, plays and phrases - then having to come up with something on the fly when their defence susses you out, whilst a 27 stone lineman comes barrelling towards you.

Reet, a 20 year old kid who never went to college, never played before, he's spotted with his mates on the park

Can a team just sign him

Yes, Jared Hayne, the aussie rugby League player, played for the 49ers for a season.

A lad who was playing in London went to the Cowboys.

Usually they'll go over in the summer for training camps then may end up on the practice squad

Didn't thst happen to a lad from Manchester?

Friend of a friend knew of a lad who was on chelsea's books as a kepeer; didn't make it and ended up being a kicker over there as he was good at kicking

Something like that

i know the answer to that second bit.

rhys lloyd was minesota's placekicker (but he only ever took the kickoffs for the vikings, i remember them being the only team at the time that had  placekicker , punter , and kickoffs dudes as three seperate people).

but there's been a fair few foriegners that played in college then go to the nfl. being foriegn and going from 'nothing' > nfl is probably a million times rarer. i can only think of two off the top of me head that anywhere near meet that.

Clive Allen placekicked for the monarchs [nfl europe , tho].

The discus thrower at the 49ers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Okoye) but he's probably played rugby union.

-somewhat slacker , but kind of interesting--

kurt warner were working in a grocers after he didnt get drafted. antonio gates just did basketball in college.

there's that pats reserve squad dude that won a superbowl ring https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_McCready .

mick luckhurst ,

sean payton's probably in this video or similar

and this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Saunders

O_o

Edited by e2e4

sorry don't understand the question

they sometimes change the 'divisions/conferences' about when a team moves. flipping from one conference eg, afl (afc) to nfl (nfc) is rarer than when they re-jig the divisions for logistics/rivalry reasons. i think if the raiders move to vegas they have to move someone. i forget why.

last time they did owt major was between the 2001 and 2002 seasons. and because houston came back. 

the fixtures are organised currently on a four year formula that a chimeric clone of james clerk maxwell and neils bohr won't understand.

Edited by e2e4

sorry don't understand the question

Apologies, just trying to get my head around the divisions / groups being 4's even though they all play each other anyway

AFC & NFC (North, East etc etc)

Are the teams ever shuffled around either each season or if a franchise moves from one side of the country to the other?

Seems a bit bonkers that a team could be disadvantaged by being in a strong group of 4. It looks on the face of it like you could finish third in one group with more wins than 2nd place in another

Would it not make more sense to have two divisions (AFC & NFC) with all 16 teams in it

EDIT e2e4 half answered as I was typing - thanks pal

Edited by birch-chorley

• Moderators

Seems a bit bonkers that a team could be disadvantaged by being in a strong group of 4. It looks on the face of it like you could finish third in one group with more wins than 2nd place in another

The bills always seem to be at a point with about 6 or 7 games to go where they are 2nd or 3rd miles behind the patriots with a record that would have them top of most the other divisions and always think they are hard done by, before they go to shit and don't even get a wild card spot

Apologies, just trying to get my head around the divisions / groups being 4's even though they all play each other anyway

AFC & NFC (North, East etc etc)

Are the teams ever shuffled around either each season or if a franchise moves from one side of the country to the other?

Would it not make more sense to have two divisions (AFC & NFC) with all 16 teams in it

EDIT e2e4 half answered as I was typing - thanks pal

The draft and free agency mean that in most divisions it's very rare for one team to be so continually dominant and win it every year.

The Pats being the one exception but they've been a massive exception throughout the whole nfl in the Brady and Bellecheat era.

Also finishing 3rd with a better record than any of the other 2nd place teams would get you in to the playoffs.

Edited by frank_spencer

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i know the answer to that second bit.

rhys lloyd was minesota's placekicker (but he only ever took the kickoffs for the vikings, i remember them being the only team at the time that had  placekicker , punter , and kickoffs dudes as three seperate people).

but there's been a fair few foriegners that played in college then go to the nfl. being foriegn and going from 'nothing' > nfl is probably a million times rarer. i can only think of two off the top of me head that anywhere near meet that.

Clive Allen placekicked for the monarchs [nfl europe , tho].

The discus thrower at the 49ers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Okoye) but he's probably played rugby union.

Okoye played on the wing forWhitgift School, Croydon, with Marland Yarde on the other wing. They only lost 2 matches in 2009/10 - one in a pre-season tour of NZ(!) and the other in the National Schools' Cup Final.

shows how hard it is being good at one sport but being not as good at a seemingly similar one.

(i think he's on the practice squads at the dolphins, now, so he's still plugging away at it. )

bbc 4 probably could do documentries about it.

neon deion and ian botham for 90 minutes. for 14 weeks.

maybe. haha.

Edited by e2e4

• 2 months later...

Who you off to see?

Pre season games come with a massive health warning in that the big name players don't get seen all that often and are fleetingly used in Games and as such you wont get a true insight into the joys of a proper game

I'm away to tampa in October to watch the patriots (my team) and New York Dec to watch giants (missus team) and cowboys

Who you off to see?

Pre season games come with a massive health warning in that the big name players don't get seen all that often and are fleetingly used in Games and as such you wont get a true insight into the joys of a proper game

I'm away to tampa in October to watch the patriots (my team) and New York Dec to watch giants (missus team) and cowboys

2nd and 3rd pre season games generally the 1st team offence will play the first quarter then the QB will sit out the rest of the game and gradually less and less of the first team on both sides of the ball will play.

Without having an interest in either team that's playing I can't imagine pre season games are much fun.