Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Safestanding

Ghana White

Understand you're point, and agree to an extent. I just dont see the point of the compromise of rail seats.

There just needs to be a change in mindset such as persons above who have this misconception that normal terraces should not come back due to safety concerns. 

Well controlled small terraces (and large ones for that matter) are not dangerous, as is proven in countries like Germany. 

Lets face it. All seater stadiums are tosh. English football is actually a bit boring. 

Its no coincidence that some of Boltons largest away followings this season where because of the prospect of standing on terraces.

Lets bring back beer in the stands too while we are at it and return football to the fans. 

The only thing holding football back are the money men and a certain generation of people who had it drilled into them that terraces are a bad thing. Who wants to sit at football? I know some do but a large preportion dont want to.

My point is that I'm all for the installation of rail seats, but I just see them as a pretty rubbish compromise and it's sad we cant have real football stadiums in this country (inside the top 2 leagues anyway).

My other issue with rail seats is that they can fix them down and make a game a seating game. So you can guarantee when the big games come they will try to stifle the atmosphere by doing this. Remember, the people who make these decisions dont really want all this.

They want subdued family middleclass hot chocolate supping football.

Edited by SimonT

Nonsense! Are they not real terraces they have in germany? No problems there. Did terracing cause the Hillbrough Disaster. No. Poor policing, overcrowding etc did.

I go to Germany all the time to watch football in normal terraces with no issues. Its amazing what you can do by making games all ticket, using sufficient crowd control and adequate policing.

If you dont have a ticket, you dont get in. Simple.

Sorry sweep but that post Hillbrough view is very outdated these days, has been shown to be wrong and to the detriment of football.......Dont they have terraces in Rugby?......Dont remember there being a crowd disaster in that game. Its 2017 not the 1980's. 

you are looking at it through very rose tinted glasses. there are problems in the larger standing areas abroad. 

we will not get it and like sweep i agree we shouldn't. safe standing rails / seats yes but sadly the mentality of an english fan is not able to cope with "old school" terracing 

The thing is with just standing regardless in seated areas is that sooner or later summat bad will happen, especially when combined with bad/lax stewarding. It almost happened at Shrewsbury this year when a push came from the back of the stand and there were some people in the aisles and a couple of young uns ended up on the bottom.

• Site Supporter

The thing is with just standing regardless in seated areas is that sooner or later summat bad will happen, especially when combined with bad/lax stewarding. It almost happened at Shrewsbury this year when a push came from the back of the stand and there were some people in the aisles and a couple of young uns ended up on the bottom.

Good point.

A terrace with strict number control and plenty of barriers?

In reality though, as said above its not likely to happen. For me main benefit is it might be a bit warmer at ice station macron.

• Moderators

Its no coincidence that some of Boltons largest away followings this season where because of the prospect of standing

Were they?

I can only think of fleetwood and presumably Wimbledon and Bristol and they were probably amongst our smallest

May have been able to stand up, but the vast majority were not terracing

• Moderators

Would it actually improve the atmosphere at the macron?

Not sure I'm more inclined to sing a song because I'm stood up.

Worth a try like. It can't get any worse. The place is soulless.

I'm only inclined to sing when I'm pissed

And I'm only pissed at away games

Went to 4 last season and stood up at them all but none were terracing

Anyway

No matter what new terraces are like, they won't ever be like they used to be, like after our 2nd goal in this game

You could have a kick about with your own ball or a coke can, or do the conga on terracing when the game was shit though.

All seater stands didn't stop the pompey fans brightening up 'the game where football died' at the DW the season they went belly up, from all but the disabled fans doing a massive conga round the stand.

Best thing about the game.

All seater stands didn't stop the pompey fans brightening up 'the game where football died' at the DW the season they went belly up, from all but the disabled fans doing a massive conga round the stand.

Best thing about the game.

I doubt I'd stand given the choice nowadays (#glass back) unless pished, but it was undoubtedly better and adds to the overall atmosphere.  Anyone whose watched German footy recently can attest to that.

I'm all for it returning.

Time football fans were stopped being treated like dangerous animals and given the same respect and choices as fans of some other sports.

Safe standing is absolutely fucking pointless unless you've got a ground with insufficient capacity to fulfil demand

The whole point about standing on terraces was that you could roll up 5 minutes before the game started and stand with your mates. This won't let that happen

Safe standing already happens in every away end and every ESLSC equivalent anyway

All it will do is give the orange warriors less of an excuse to froth at the mouth

Safe standing is absolutely fucking pointless unless you've got a ground with insufficient capacity to fulfil demand

The whole point about standing on terraces was that you could roll up 5 minutes before the game started and stand with your mates. This won't let that happen

Safe standing already happens in every away end and every ESLSC equivalent anyway

All it will do is give the orange warriors less of an excuse to froth at the mouth

I suppose the 'safe' part will be the driver for this. Standing in the seats won't be seen as safe for the h&s bods. The potential for injury falling among the seats will see to that.

So either removal of the seats or the rail seating will be the only realistic ways to satisfy them