Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

3 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

If you say so. You are the font of all reason and knowledge and wisdom after all.

And it suits your purposes to be dismissive rather than engaging with it.

I'm not sure why to peg me as such other than to dismiss what I'm saying.

It's just an over simplistic reading of something that is much more complex. I'm sure it plays well to most but don't be spouting it as a fact or you'll quite rightly be pulled up on it.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

We've improved our trading position considerably since Brexit and there's more to come, See my previous post.

If you like the EUs way of doing things then join forces with 27 of your neighbours, negotiate bulk-buying of your shopping and see how often your fridge is full of exactly what you and your family need and desire. It doesn't work. It didn't work for us and it doesn't work for the 27. And that's a big contributory factor to why the EU has been the slowest growing part of the world this last 30 years. 

Or have an empty fridge.

Your comparison is uncharacteristically vague.

The Asia-Pacific region was always going to be the biggest growth area over the last 20 years.

The EU have insisted on workers getting holidays and rights and decent wages, the fucking weirdoes.

China, meanwhile, has flogged folk to death (literally) for a dollar a day so we can all have cheap iphones and toys that squeak.

You witter on about level playing fields but the world market is more uneven than the Reebok car park.

I just find it amusing that we are now "hoping" for trade deals when all we've done is reinstate ones we already had, whilst sending Sulimaine and his wigmaker to Washington to get the biggest deal of all only to come back having sold some lamb fucking koftas.

We're a long way off where you said we would be and you know it luv.

Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

The word 'ain't' is a contraction for am not, is not, are not, has not, and have not in the common English language vernacular. In some dialects ain't is also used as a 

Poor use of the written word my friend. Come on, you're a proud English man, let's use the beautiful language we have correctly.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The word 'ain't' is a contraction for am not, is not, are not, has not, and have not in the common English language vernacular. In some dialects ain't is also used as a 

Not is derived from Naught. Trace it back and it's actually old German.

You massive nazi.

3 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I'm not sure why to peg me as such other than to dismiss what I'm saying.

It's just an over simplistic reading of something that is much more complex. I'm sure it plays well to most but don't be spouting it as a fact or you'll quite rightly be pulled up on it.

No it isn't complex. It is the very, very simple crux of the matter. The EU seeks a trade deal with Australia but somebody in Italy objects (can't remember now of it was viticultarlists or tomato growers) - and so nobody gets a trade deal. The UK outside of the EU sorts a free trade deal six months after being out of the common market. 

You can always tell when a remainer is on the back-foot when the old "its all too complex for you" nonsense is wheeled out.

1 minute ago, paulhanley said:

No it isn't complex. It is the very, very simple crux of the matter. The EU seeks a trade deal with Australia but somebody in Italy objects (can't remember now of it was viticultarlists or tomato growers) - and so nobody gets a trade deal. The UK outside of the EU sorts a free trade deal six months after being out of the common market. 

You can always tell when a remainer is on the back-foot when the old "its all too complex for you" nonsense is wheeled out.

Wow, you actually believe this, don't you?

Fucking hell.

6 minutes ago, Spider said:

Or have an empty fridge.

Your comparison is uncharacteristically vague.

The Asia-Pacific region was always going to be the biggest growth area over the last 20 years.

The EU have insisted on workers getting holidays and rights and decent wages, the fucking weirdoes.

China, meanwhile, has flogged folk to death (literally) for a dollar a day so we can all have cheap iphones and toys that squeak.

You witter on about level playing fields but the world market is more uneven than the Reebok car park.

I just find it amusing that we are now "hoping" for trade deals when all we've done is reinstate ones we already had, whilst sending Sulimaine and his wigmaker to Washington to get the biggest deal of all only to come back having sold some lamb fucking koftas.

We're a long way off where you said we would be and you know it luv.

We're not hoping for trade deals we are out there negotiating them. What is your blind spot about this? Australia, Canada, Japan, NZ coming soon, negotiating to join the Trans-Pacific Partnership. You don't want to deal with this do you? 

I'm glad you acknowledge that the world has dramatically changed and that Asia is now the centre of global trade with its fast developing economies and burgeoning middle classes. Think a bit harder about that. 

We're a long way ahead where we'd be if we'd stayed in the sticky bureaucratic ponderous clutches of the EU. Let's hope the rest of Europe bins them off soon too.

Just now, Farrelli said:

It’s the utterings of a nutter. 

That the best you can come up with? 

Absolutely no answers whatsoever to what I put in my original message. 

In 2031 you will still be sobbing away about the EU - even if the EU no longer exists in any recognisable form. 

An absolute lost cause.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

We're not hoping for trade deals we are out there negotiating them. What is your blind spot about this? Australia, Canada, Japan, NZ coming soon, negotiating to join the Trans-Pacific Partnership. You don't want to deal with this do you? 

I'm glad you acknowledge that the world has dramatically changed and that Asia is now the centre of global trade with its fast developing economies and burgeoning middle classes. Think a bit harder about that. 

We're a long way ahead where we'd be if we'd stayed in the sticky bureaucratic ponderous clutches of the EU. Let's hope the rest of Europe bins them off soon too.

Forgive me

I blindly believed that 5 years ago this would all have been sorted out.

The visionaries said so.

It’s obviously going very well then. Do I get my money back that I lost over the last 2 years now?

• Site Supporter
Just now, Not in Crawley said:

I've always hoped we join the Trans Pacific Partnership.

Now, Paul. Can we have specifics? I'm sure it would be to the benefit of us who are still blind to the benefits of leaving the EU. Could you list the trade deals we now have that we couldn't have had before?

Woah

i need some popcorn for this one

15 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Im not a fan of this government, nor am I a Tory but the only comfort is they aren’t a Labour Party government. 

the Tories are making people poorer but you are blind or don’t care. The gap will widen between the haves and have nots, is that the society you want?

Just now, paulhanley said:

Sneering from a remainer. 

Who'd have ever thought it.

Easier than actually examining the facts isn't it though.

I'm not sneering, I'm just shocked that you actually believe this stuff.

As I said, just lay out the bald facts of the benefits for those of us too idiotic or blindly stupid to understand.

Not rehotoric mind you, just the plain, boring facts.

1 minute ago, Spider said:

Forgive me

I blindly believed that 5 years ago this would all have been sorted out.

The visionaries said so.

It’s obviously going very well then. Do I get my money back that I lost over the last 2 years now?

Ill list them again:

New trade deals with Japan, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

Negotiating to join the Trans-Pacific Partnership

Enhanced trade arrangements with India.

That's before we get in to the 60 odd other deals signed.

The fact you won't engage with this proves that nothing is ever going to satisfy you. You are not an impartial judge. If we sign a trade deal with the US tomorrow you'll find a reason to deride it. 

Ill list them again:

New trade deals with Japan, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

Negotiating to join the Trans-Pacific Partnership

Enhanced trade arrangements with India.

That's before we get in to the 60 odd other deals signed.

The fact you won't engage with this proves that nothing is ever going to satisfy you. You are not an impartial judge. If we sign a trade deal with the US tomorrow you'll find a reason to deride it. 

No, that's not what I asked. Give us specifics. The trade deals with Japan etc al - what are they and how has it improved things for the UK?

I'm engaging with you 100% - I'm asking for the details so I can understand why you are so set on the path we have taken as a country. 

2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I'm not sneering, I'm just shocked that you actually believe this stuff.

As I said, just lay out the bald facts of the benefits for those of us too idiotic or blindly stupid to understand.

Not rehotoric mind you, just the plain, boring facts.

I direct the honourable member to my original post. 

This conversation is becoming very circular owing to your inability to absorb and deal with Liz Truss's work in her previous role over the past couple of years. Canada, Japan, Aus, NZ, Trans-Pacific trade deal being discussed. You and Salford Trotter solemnly told us that none of this would be achievable. You were horribly wrong.

Every trade deal announced must have been like a dagger to your heart ... until of course you decided to ignore them because they don't fit your pre-ordained narrative. 

2 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I direct the honourable member to my original post. 

This conversation is becoming very circular owing to your inability to absorb and deal with Liz Truss's work in her previous role over the past couple of years. Canada, Japan, Aus, NZ, Trans-Pacific trade deal being discussed. You and Salford Trotter solemnly told us that none of this would be achievable. You were horribly wrong.

Every trade deal announced must have been like a dagger to your heart ... until of course you decided to ignore them because they don't fit your pre-ordained narrative. 

OK I'll even make it easy for you, details re Japan, https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-uk-japan-comprehensive-economic-partnership-benefits-for-the-uk

Now, you can post the St Kitts one I'd you like?

Its not circular, you just don't like being questioned. I'm being fair, objective and giving you the chance to make a coherent case for the benefits without resorting to remainer jibes.

You have yet to do so. Please, just tell the class the specifics, to convince those who are sceptical as to why we are on the right course.

5 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

No, that's not what I asked. Give us specifics. The trade deals with Japan etc al - what are they and how has it improved things for the UK?

I'm engaging with you 100% - I'm asking for the details so I can understand why you are so set on the path we have taken as a country. 

The trade deal with Japan was agreed in 2020. It goes beyond existing EU deals particularly in the areas of digital, financial services and food and drink as well as creative industries. The agreement also includes a strong commitment from Japan to support UK joining the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), one of the world’s biggest free trade areas, covering 13% of the global economy and more than £110 billion of trade in 2019.  We're now seeing that commitment coming to life as we enter negotiations re TPP.

The trade deal with Japan was agreed in 2020. It goes beyond existing EU deals particularly in the areas of digital, financial services and food and drink as well as creative industries. The agreement also includes a strong commitment from Japan to support UK joining the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), one of the world’s biggest free trade areas, covering 13% of the global economy and more than £110 billion of trade in 2019.  We're now seeing that commitment coming to life as we enter negotiations re TPP.

OK, now why do you believe this is better for the UK than an existing trade agreement with the EU?

2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

OK I'll even make it easy for you, details re Japan, https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-uk-japan-comprehensive-economic-partnership-benefits-for-the-uk

Now, you can post the St Kitts one I'd you like?

Its not circular, you just don't like being questioned. I'm being fair, objective and giving you the chance to make a coherent case for the benefits without resorting to remainer jibes.

You have yet to do so. Please, just tell the class the specifics, to convince those who are sceptical as to why we are on the right course.

Your failure to engage with the fact the the EU is a shrinking part of world trade and GDP is stark. Seemingly nothing will help you understand that the world in 2021 is very different from 1975. 

European nation states would be better off out of the EU and engaging with this new world. Plenty of folk in Europe absolutely know this. They aren't all EU stooges.

• Site Supporter

In a world where production is carried out across borders, such as in the car manufacturing and electronics sectors, Japan has agreed to count products with a significant amount of EU components as a UK export.

While these measures should ensure the continuity of UK exports to Japan, fundamentally, Britain is still likely to lose a lot of Japanese production where companies were using the country as a hub to export into the EU single market

“Not my words, the words of top gear magazine”

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

OK, now why do you believe this is better for the UK than an existing trade agreement with the EU?

Because it is more bespoke to our individual needs and improves on the EU deal in the areas mentioned. 

Why do you believe that having a trade deal with Australia and New Zealand is better than not having one? Why do you believe that our improved trading relationship with India agreed in May is a bad thing?

Why do you think that joining the TPP is a bad idea? 

Why can't you get your head up and view the UK's future from a global perspective - managing its own trade policy based on up to date assessments and judgements?

1 minute ago, paulhanley said:

Your failure to engage with the fact the the EU is a shrinking part of world trade and GDP is stark. Seemingly nothing will help you understand that the world in 2021 is very different from 1975. 

European nation states would be better off out of the EU and engaging with this new world. Plenty of folk in Europe absolutely know this. They aren't all EU stooges.

How am I not engaging? I'm literally asking you to outline the benefits for us.

Now the TPP has its critics outside of just remainers, how come and do you think their concerns are valid?