Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

21 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

the Tories are making people poorer but you are blind or don’t care. The gap will widen between the haves and have nots, is that the society you want?

To be honest, most people, provided they in the "haves" which I recon most of us on here are, probably don't really care too much about society and those that don't have much. I'm certainly not overly arsed about them.

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

How am I not engaging? I'm literally asking you to outline the benefits for us.

Now the TPP has its critics outside of just remainers, how come and do you think their concerns are valid?

Well then the ball is in your court. Explain why improved and more free trading relations with all of those countries would be a bad idea? 

Explain what it is about the EU's shrinking significance in terms of GDP and trade that eludes you? Why do you have a complete inability to engage with what's so obvious.

The people of Europe are waking up to the way EU smothers their prospects. Its a pity UK remainers can't do the same... .so pickled are they in their prejudices.

5 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Well then the ball is in your court. Explain why improved and more free trading relations with all of those countries would be a bad idea? 

Explain what it is about the EU's shrinking significance in terms of GDP and trade that eludes you? Why do you have a complete inability to engage with what's so obvious.

The people of Europe are waking up to the way EU smothers their prospects. Its a pity UK remainers can't do the same... .so pickled are they in their prejudices.

Well.it would be if you had answered my question, as it is I'm still waiting. Many people feel its a huge gamble with very little pay off and draws us into a foreign policy issue that we'd rather avoid and potentially puts the UKs farming industry at risk, which is why the government has been so hesitant in publishing its risk study but quiet happy announcing trade deals which were either legacy agreements pre leaving the EU or of little significant differences to the economic prospects of the UK.

Now, do you think these concerns are valid or not?

Just now, Not in Crawley said:

Well.it would be if you had answered my question, as it is I'm still waiting. Many people feel its a huge gamble with very little pay off and draws us into a foreign policy issue that we'd rather avoid and potentially puts the UKs farming industry at risk, which is why the government has been so hesitant in publishing its risk study but quiet happy announcing trade deals which were either legacy agreements pre leaving the EU or of little significant differences to the economic prospects of the UK.

Now, do you think these concerns are valid or not?

There's nothing I or anyone else will ever do to answer your so called questions because the answers are beyond the narrow lines in which you view the world.

Free trade and freer trade are mutually beneficial. I am quite sure our negotiators will not leave agriculture in the UK vulnerable and nor would our new partners seek to make that happen. Nor incidentally would they try to tie us in to ever increasing political union and all of the other paraphanalia.

I take it from the way you phrase things that you were a massive fan of the dreadful Common Agricultural Policy? Let's not assess these things just on the basis of what's in store, let's do so on the basis of the baggage we'e freed ourselves from. 

I think you and your fellow "concerned" people (ie entrenched remainers with no capacity for rational analysis) need to drop the smothering "precautionary principle" so beloved of your Brussels friends. One day you won't leave the house in the morning because you'll be too busy completing your risk register rather than actually improving your lot.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Free trade and freer trade are mutually beneficial. I am quite sure our negotiators will not leave agriculture in the UK vulnerable and nor would our new partners seek to make that happen. Nor incidentally would they try to tie us in to ever increasing political union and all of the other paraphanalia.

Indeed

Look how well they took care of our fisherfolk.

Now this is proving difficult. I don't think I'm being obtuse or in anyway vague, also I don't believe my questions are narrow or blinkered. 

I'm simply asking some very basic questions about some of the concerns that have been raised by people of a non political bias about some of the deals you have held up as being important and demonstrating why we are now better off outside of the existing trade agreements we had in place already.

These are fair and rational questions, I would expect at the very least a fair and rational response.

• Site Supporter

Bottom line from a personal perspective Paul is this

I am out of pocket due to the shitty way Boris "negotiated" the withdrawal agreement.

You can't blame politics anyomore as he won an election fair and square which enabled him to do things His Way.

Whilst on the subject of democracy denying - how democratic is a one off vote? Democracy as I understand it means we can change things if the majority are not happy with the way they are going. A one time vote is basically communism by any definition. But that's a separate subject really.

I'm out of pocket, and it sounds like the only benefits you can pick at are notional ones.

In the real world, it's been shit and doesn't seem to be improving.

19 minutes ago, Sweep said:

To be honest, most people, provided they in the "haves" which I recon most of us on here are, probably don't really care too much about society and those that don't have much. I'm certainly not overly arsed about them.

It’s honest of you to say that but an appalling attitude all the same. To have a society with increasing poverty ultimately affects us all whether we like it or not.  Social deprivation leads to more crime, homelessness and increased health issues that more affluent individuals will pay for.

9 minutes ago, Spider said:

Bottom line from a personal perspective Paul is this

I am out of pocket due to the shitty way Boris "negotiated" the withdrawal agreement.

You can't blame politics anyomore as he won an election fair and square which enabled him to do things His Way.

Whilst on the subject of democracy denying - how democratic is a one off vote? Democracy as I understand it means we can change things if the majority are not happy with the way they are going. A one time vote is basically communism by any definition. But that's a separate subject really.

I'm out of pocket, and it sounds like the only benefits you can pick at are notional ones.

In the real world, it's been shit and doesn't seem to be improving.

wE wUn🇬🇧

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Name a positive thus far....

We have freed ourselves from one of the biggest trade organisations on our doorstep, a shining example of negotiating that Thatcher quite rightly held up as one of her crowning achievements, we've pissed off our closest neighbours and oldest allies to seek engagement with countries outside our sphere of influence under the misguided delusion of still being a real global power rather than close partnership working we need to prosper in today's world, divided the country, made ourselves poorer, caused generational discontent and economic turbulence, ignored the prospects from experts as 'we don't do those' anymore, become slavishly addicted to rhetoric ignoring facts, prized the individual over the collective and become more selfish and conceited as a result, elected one of the most intellectually impoverished governments in living memory who take money from those who have least and let those with most get away with contributing the least, created a phrase 'levelling up' whilst the North of the country continues to struggle on almost every metric set against the South East propping up a legacy of inequality which will be there long after we've shuffled off this mortal coil....

Still, boo yah to the bureaucrats.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Name a positive thus far....

#InsidePaulHanleysHead

....They should bring back the penny tray at the corner shop..........She'd better mash the spuds properly tonight, they were really lumpy last time.......I miss 4 star petrol.......Bet that news presenter is a lesbian......you don't see joke shops anymore.......real binmen would still put the bins over their shoulders and not use machinery........I'm never playing Jenga again........Thatcher mmmmm........Last Night of the Proms later, better dig the flags out.........I hope everyone who buys camembert chokes like a pig in a fence......

Edited by Spider

2 hours ago, Farrelli said:

the Tories are making people poorer but you are blind or don’t care. The gap will widen between the haves and have nots, is that the society you want?

It’s not what I want, the question is asked at each general election and the answer more often than not is another Tory government, therefore the country gets the government it wants and the policies and spend that it votes for, sadly in every democracy there are winners and losers and that applies if the Labour Party ever get their act together. 

• Site Supporter

#InsideMountsKippersHead

...........Easyjet need to hoover their seats more often.............Jeff Chandler had nice hair............I wonder what it feels like when Boris kisses you.....that waiter should speak better english........poor people should have their own island.......did i leave the chip pan on?........i wonder if cats eat cheese.......Crawley off WWays probably smells like Boy George.........that union jack is upside down I'm ringing the police.......going to order a snorkel off british amazon.....my socks are wet again....

42 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s not what I want, the question is asked at each general election and the answer more often than not is another Tory government, therefore the country gets the government it wants and the policies and spend that it votes for, sadly in every democracy there are winners and losers and that applies if the Labour Party ever get their act together. 

I agree we always gets the Government we want, as the number of votes doesn't lie - I don't agree that we always get the policies and spend that we vote for though, as more often than not, the Government doesn't always do as promised during it's electioneering.

9 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I agree we always gets the Government we want, as the number of votes doesn't lie - I don't agree that we always get the policies and spend that we vote for though, as more often than not, the Government doesn't always do as promised during it's electioneering.

This Government has spent more money than most Tory governments and probably more than most labour govts on supporting the low paid, yet the Labour Party continue to ask for more.  It is not a bottomless pit. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

8 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

So we’ve no free trade deal with the USA just yet… same as the EU then… despite the EU trying for years to get one. So by that reckoning EU is also in the less relevant basket. Let’s see where we are in 4/5 years shall we. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

So we’ve no free trade deal with the USA just yet… same as the EU then… despite trying for years to get one. So by that reckoning EU is also in the less relevant basket. Let’s see where we are in 4/5 years shall we. 

Aye just pointing out, the yanks don't really give a fuck one way or the other.