Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sheffield United Home

jeep

And now, we are playing against players who in the 70s and 80s would be playing top league

I'm not questioning that the standard has increased, that's the root of why it's more boring, because the better sides dominate possession and don't give inferior opponents a look in. They also defend with more organization, limiting chances created. For interest, 4 players we had in 3rd tier in the 90s that would walk into our team now...Tony Kelly, Steve Thompson, McGinlay, Walker (parky wouldn't pick last 2 though).

They’ve done us similar since too.

Cov home, sheff weds away, Bristol away

Who on earth would put Saturday in amongst that lot?

I'm not for a second saying Saturday was our worst ever. That's a thread all of its own. Just saying I wasn't as bored in the dark days of the 80s as I am on a bad day in the parky era. I even applaud and admire some of our defending which is definitely better than years gone by. But it doesn't get the juices flowing like a few attacks, forward passes and shots.

• Moderators

Me too, and I relished going to 90% of the games home and away. You must admit there were no games then as bad as now. We were never outclassed so comprehensively at home, even if we lost 3-0 we would always get a foothold in the game for a period, and we would always have shots on goal.

Which is why the atmosphere at burnden was electric week in week out and everyone sang non stop for 90 mins

• Site Supporter

I'm not questioning that the standard has increased, that's the root of why it's more boring, because the better sides dominate possession and don't give inferior opponents a look in. They also defend with more organization, limiting chances created. For interest, 4 players we had in 3rd tier in the 90s that would walk into our team now...Tony Kelly, Steve Thompson, McGinlay, Walker (parky wouldn't pick last 2 though).

Was thinking about this the other day, perhaps gumbo and Jules etc may be able to shed some light.

Coaching nowadays is massively more informed that say in the 80s.

That said did players in those days tend to have more of a "footballing brain" than many of today's lot; an essential tool to overcome deficiencies in fitness for example.

I always felt Tony Kelly had tremendous technical ability and vision but couldn't move.

A question those who may be better informed; is it possible that there is too much coaching and theory type stuff, particularly at an early age, rather than letting kids just play and get used to keeping hold of a football?

• Site Supporter

Tony Kelly would walk, he'd be miles off today's pace. Same for all of them really.

Aye, no doubt. Though he had a great touch. Only ameobi seemed to be particularly effective at controlling the ball the other day.

Perhaps I'm just getting older but it doesn't seem to come 'naturally', hence my question above.

Aye, no doubt. Though he had a great touch. Only ameobi seemed to be particularly effective at controlling the ball the other day.

Perhaps I'm just getting older but it doesn't seem to come 'naturally', hence my question above.

Pace and intensity of the game now isn't it....