Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

California Wildfires

deane koontz

• Members

Trees and forests are wonderful places to visit. Live amongst it? No thanks. Give me the concrete jungle any time.

Fucking horrendous - we have them here too. Last one was Yarloop not too long ago. Different scale to this though. Shocking.

Edited by bolty58

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

Trees and forests are wonderful places to visit. Live amongst it? No thanks. Give me the concrete jungle any time.

Fucking horrendous - we have them here too. Last one was Yarloop not too long ago. Different scale to this though. Shocking.

I'd take my chances amongst the trees!

Just perhaps have a most instead of a swimming pool.

We actually get the aftermath of these fires here in Reno. Last year we got a governmental warning to remain indoors as the air outside was dangerous to breathe.

At least we don't get the fires though. There's nothing green here. I can't imagine what these people go through watching their whole lives burning to the ground.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

The footage I saw was a bit mad in that you had houses burnt to a crisp next door to houses that remain intact

A shocking scene indeed. A question though, the only thing left standing is often the chimney breast- are many American homes made of wood (largely) and if so should they look at stone/brick?

Whether or not it would help I don't know, but perhaps it might give a bit more protection?

Come on Micky, shed some light on this.

Anyone else thinking z list celebs like Robin thicke have tried it on (I've literally no idea if he's a producer or owt his one hit wonder was shit) ...

How has he got a miami beach house next to blokes who have been churning out decent enough tunes since the 70s like Neil Young? 

Or miley Cyrus who's dad was famous. Or Charlie sheen who fucked that many prostitutes he's got HIV.

Maybe it's not that good a neighbourhood...

1 hour ago, stevieb said:

Anyone else thinking z list celebs like Robin thicke have tried it on (I've literally no idea if he's a producer or owt his one hit wonder was shit) ...

How has he got a miami beach house next to blokes who have been churning out decent enough tunes since the 70s like Neil Young? 

Or miley Cyrus who's dad was famous. Or Charlie sheen who fucked that many prostitutes he's got HIV.

Maybe it's not that good a neighbourhood...

Well his dad was super famous too.

Still struggling to see what this has to do with wildfires in California, however.

1 hour ago, SnoopJohnnyJohn said:

Most west-coast houses are wood.

As Frank said, they're a lot more flexible for earthquakes, AND considerably cheaper to construct.

The engineering term is ductility. Timber framing is fantastic in earthquakes, plus it's light. 

You can design masonry and concrete for earthquakes of course, it requires steel reinforcement, but it's more expensive. So you avoid unless your client wants for example, a concrete suspended floor which you cant support on timber framing. 

Some famous victim, cant remember who was worried about his priceless art collection going up in flames. Well he should have built a fire rated room the idiot. 

16 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Some famous victim, cant remember who was worried about his priceless art collection going up in flames. Well he should have built a fire rated room the idiot. 

Was that Guillermo del Toro? I saw his face on an article about the fires this morning but I dislike the guy so I didn't read it.