Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pigeon Fancier's

leigh white

4 hours ago, leigh white said:

Going on random trips you don't half get some knowledge about stuff you haven't a clue about. I know how to rear a proper racing bird what will fly across water to win prizes was a bloke what sat next to me.

My grandad raced pigeons and had a few good ones according to my dad but i can't get beyond the anger when the ones in my garden crap on my car

Edited by Salford Trotter

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

My grandad raced pigeons and had a few good ones according to my dad but i can't beyond the anger when the ones in my garden crap on my car

Be grateful it ain't the one that shat on Tommy Robinson 😁

They have a big weekend in Blackpool in January every year.

Massive auction jobby at the winter gardens and some smaller ones at a few hotels. Some of em go for fortunes, talking £20-£30k if not more.

Always loads of taffs with em.

• Site Supporter

I'd love to own a bird of prey, a lot of work but very rewarding..

I've been looking into Harris Hawks as they are one of the more sociable birds of prey, however never in a million years would I get the chance to own one..

• Members

Spot on M. I am very lucky where I work. I pass a flock of geese every day close to our factory.They waddle from one field, across a road to another where there's a pond every morning and then return every evening. Regularly see foxes (introduced), rabbits (introduced), kangaroo's, quenda's and all sorts of parrots including the ubiquitous Galah, Lorekeet, Twenty Eights and, at this time of year, absolutely enormous flocks of Banks' black cockatoo heading north to warmer climes before winter sets in down here (they head south in spring).

When I left the UK in '88, we would never see a deer or squirrel etc. anywhere near Bolton's urban sprawl. Been great to see how all that has changed during the intervening years.

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Spot on M. I am very lucky where I work. I pass a flock of geese every day close to our factory.They waddle from one field, across a road to another where there's a pond every morning and then return every evening. Regularly see foxes (introduced), rabbits (introduced), kangaroo's, quenda's and all sorts of parrots including the ubiquitous Galah, Lorekeet, Twenty Eights and, at this time of year, absolutely enormous flocks of Banks' black cockatoo heading north to warmer climes before winter sets in down here (they head south in spring).

When I left the UK in '88, we would never see a deer or squirrel etc. anywhere near Bolton's urban sprawl. Been great to see how all that has changed during the intervening years.

You can keep your bloody squirrels. Absolute menaces.

We need an army of pine martens or some such to remove them.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Sorry pal, we'll have to disagree. I would however agree to a culling of the greys if it meant the red ones would flourish and prosper.

That's what I was alluding to.

Greys are horrible bastards. Fascinating dexterity, but other than that cunts to a mammal.

American reds are far more feisty than ours and will see off greys.

Unfortunately ours aren't capable and are at risk of infection if they tried.

We need to find a way of rebalancing the situation. Maybe the Don could take a few back home on air force one.