Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Electric Cars / Company Cars

birch-chorley

14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Iirc, someone one here commented that the rapid charging point reduce the life of the battery, adding maintenance costs.

Not sure if it was an issue but it isn’t an issue now so wouldn’t worry about it. 

I work in the industry so have a reasonable grasp on all this. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Not sure if it was an issue but it isn’t an issue now so wouldn’t worry about it. 

I work in the industry so have a reasonable grasp on all this. 

I know- hoped you'd be along to put some facts into the thread. :)

hopefully Boris will have a big push on it all, and we'll all be in electric vehicles within 10 years. At which point spider will explode.

1 hour ago, Traf said:

Piss easy, I'm told.

Costs about £300 or you can just plug into your mains, but that's a slow charge.

A husband of a woman I used to work with bought her one of these as her Xmas present a couple of years ago.

The year before he took an early upgrade on his phone and gave her his old one.

4 hours ago, Traf said:

Yeah, it's about £800, but you get £500 from the govt.

Mine cost £99 through an approved supplier at my old job but was heavily subsidized by work and government grant. 

on that note companies used to get £2500 from government per hybrid they put into the fleet but they closed this about 12 months ago thus not quite as attractive from a Company point of view especially when you take into account a huge increase in fuel consumption 

4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I know- hoped you'd be along to put some facts into the thread. :)

hopefully Boris will have a big push on it all, and we'll all be in electric vehicles within 10 years. At which point spider will explode.

batteries are fine on these things but technology is moving so fast that something deemed high tech this year will be outdone in 6 months which is why a lot of manufacturers are just dipping their toes in waiting for that real breakthrough technology then it will be full steam ahead  

Electric vehicles will become a big part of normal life within the next 5 years I would estimate. 

electric vans and trucks delivering considerable ranges are on the horizon

london has a huge need for these vehicles now with all the various schemes to lower emissions in the capital and penalize anything but. 

I was driving a small electric goods vehicle  round our test track the other day. Goes like shit off a shovel And up there with some cars. Can carry 3.5t in the back and has a range of about 80 miles to a charge which is ideal for city multi drop etc. 

as I’ve eluded to previously on another thread there are huges things planned re the charging infrastructure etc in the UK which we need to deliver the necessary to allow a move to more electric vehicles  

11 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

as I’ve eluded to previously on another thread there are huges things planned re the charging infrastructure etc in the UK which we need to deliver the necessary to allow a move to more electric vehicles  

Indeed, the company I work for is doing loads of work with firms involved in the infrastructure, big things are happening. It'll be a massive part of my companies growth over the next few years

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I was told that the main issue is getting enough power out of the electricity grid and to the charging points up and down the motorway network 

Not sure how true it is 

Makes sense. Infrastructure needed is more than just the charging points.

I do wonder if some of these large buildings like service stations could be covered with solar panels to help with this?

Anyone know how this salary sacrifice car works? 

Tesla make it sound like the cycle to work scheme, you buy a car and the money comes out of your salary before tax 

Apparently worthwhile for full electric cars given the tax advantages 

Hows it any different from a company car then? 

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/salary-sacrifice

23 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Anyone know how this salary sacrifice car works? 

Tesla make it sound like the cycle to work scheme, you buy a car and the money comes out of your salary before tax 

Apparently worthwhile for full electric cars given the tax advantages 

Hows it any different from a company car then? 

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/salary-sacrifice

Appears it’s a lease that you take out on the equipment (car). Looks like a no brainer. Not seen this before but appears to be government driven and subject to your company allowing it looks quality eh?

FWIW I pay no company car tax either as my car is leased (lease Purchase) from my company (manufacturer) by me and deducted from my salary before tax and NI and then they pay me for my business useage which nets off almost. I pay about 70 a month for 70k motor. They have a closed buyback on the car and just take it back and settle the lease off everytime I swap it out. 

19 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

That sounds excellent, how does it work? Or when you say manufacturer, do you mean you work for a car manufacturer? 

Yes I work for a manufacturer. I pay nominal BIK on it. But my tax code is unaffected so miss out on the dreaded company car tax. God knows how much I would be out of pocket for otherwise. 

but by the sounds of it the Tesla scheme  You put up sounds immense and will just need your company buy in 

Edited by Escobarp

8 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Yes I work for a manufacturer. I pay nominal BIK on it. But my tax code is unaffected so miss out on the dreaded company car tax. God knows how much I would be out of pocket for otherwise. 

but by the sounds of it the Tesla scheme  You put up sounds immense and will just need your company buy in 

Somebody at our office asked about that scheme, or HR department came back pretty quickly with a "no" sadly

We do already salary sacrifice for our pension schemes though, so fingers crossed they'll have another look at it

Edited by Sweep

30 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Somebody at our office asked about that scheme, or HR department came back pretty quickly with a "no" sadly

We do already salary sacrifice for our pension schemes though, so fingers crossed they'll have another look at it

What was the reason given Sweep? 

Keen to get my positioning right when I approach my HR in the new year 

36 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Off set somewhat if they only need to pay £0.04 per mile vs £0.15 on Diesel

Save the company £1500 a year that 

I agree with you. Just trying to look for a reason why They wouldn’t go for it as nothing springs to mind. Must be something in the detail surely 

26 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Think your right 

Sure they will find some reason not to break with tradition 

I wonder if they are liable for the lease and vehicle under the terms of the scheme? If you left employment then they would remain liable? Although that’s the case for all company fleets so god knows.  Worth a shot to ask though if you can do it