Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Loan players

MickyD

Dread to think how many loan players we had under Allardyce who barely saw the light of day. And I bet there are a good few of the ones under Freedman, Lennon and Parkinson who I still haven't a clue who they are.

I always thought Isaiah Rankin was one of the better ones, but it turns out he only scored two goals in sixteen games so far from it, really. Sturridge has to be up there as our best one.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Amos was good on loan 《shudders》

Otsemobor, O'Kane, Moreno, Ba, the other Holdsworth and Howey were some of Sam's shockers.

Owen Coyle outdid him with Gael Kakuta and the dreadful Boyata

the same boyata that celtic rejected 9m for?

I was thinking about David Lee the other day watching 1 of our slow, ponderous games (that's not just us, its most of this league).  Generally the game is faster now than 10 years ago, never mind 25.  Yet David Lee was playing in the 3rd tier for Bury and us for years, he was like lightning.  People say his crossing was poor but God it was miles better than what we see today, and he scored a few too.  People rate Verlinden but Lee could probably give him a game for half an hour now, he was 2 or 3 times the player in his day.  When he played for Bury against us in the play offs, the only current winger I can compare him to in terms of being impossible to mark is Traore, who ripped us apart playing for Boro, probably the 2 best wing displays I've ever seen against us.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DazBob said:

Campo and Djorkaeff.

Djorkaeff wasn't a loan

Kaiserslauten basically cancelled his contract so we could sign him to the end of the season, then permanently

anyway

it shouldn't be about loan players who came then later joined permanently, more them that came for a bit, then fucked off leaving us pissed off the didn't stay, or relieved they didn't

• Moderators
1 hour ago, HomerJay said:

the same boyata that celtic rejected 9m for?

aye, though he was shite for us

likewise - Salva Ballesta managed to find himself as La Liga's top scorer, but did fuck all for us

38 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I was thinking about David Lee the other day watching 1 of our slow, ponderous games (that's not just us, its most of this league).  Generally the game is faster now than 10 years ago, never mind 25.  Yet David Lee was playing in the 3rd tier for Bury and us for years, he was like lightning.  People say his crossing was poor but God it was miles better than what we see today, and he scored a few too.  People rate Verlinden but Lee could probably give him a game for half an hour now, he was 2 or 3 times the player in his day.  When he played for Bury against us in the play offs, the only current winger I can compare him to in terms of being impossible to mark is Traore, who ripped us apart playing for Boro, probably the 2 best wing displays I've ever seen against us.

His crossing was shit hot 

never seemed to be out with injuries either considering he got chopped down a few times 

• Moderators
Just now, dusan nikolic said:

Florent Laville was absolute quality , him and Gudni were fucking awesome , didn,t Pierre yves Andre come on loan at the same time?.

Andy May in the Division 4 season .

Aye

Laville, andre and ballesta all got flown in on deadline day without alladyce ever having seen them play