Rudy

10 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Cheltenham.

Liverpool v Madrid.

Help out to eat out.

PPE contracts

Tiers.

Xmas relaxation.

10 months to sort testing before entry of country.

Some might say some of these decisions weren't made in the best of faith.

That along with a large percentage of the general public who think they know best and it was never going to end well. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Cheltenham.

Liverpool v Madrid.

Help out to eat out.

PPE contracts

Tiers.

Xmas relaxation.

10 months to sort testing before entry of country.

Some might say some of these decisions weren't made in the best of faith.

Which ones?

First two, insufficient knowledge and naivety. Other uk nations said similar. 

PPE- distasteful maybe, but ensuring we got what we needed as quickly as possible within a worldwide shortage- needs must. Moral high ground but more nurses dead wasn't an option. Any illegal activity within that should be rooted out if it occurred.

The rest judgements based on evidence at the time; as the rest of Europe does. Open a bit, close a bit. Don't see how this relates to not in good faith.

The travel testing was discussed at length, and reasoning made. May well not have been best practice, but again not necessarily not in best faith.

Hence why a proper inquiry is needed. Avoids opinion and politics.

1 hour ago, Ani said:

I think it goes back much earlier than this   - it took them until late march to change tack

yet by the 21st Feb, China and S.Korea shared info with the world that proved the disease was airborne (not just droplet), and that asymptomatic spread was happening.

however 10 days Later , on 3rd March Boris told us this in a press conference

I was at a hospital the other night where there where a few coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody, you'll be pleased to know, and i continue to shake hands, I think it's very important.  

Finally, crucially, we must not forget what we can all do to fight this virus, which is to wash our hands, you knew I was going to say this, but wash our hands with soap and water. And forgive me for repeating this but there will be people who will be tuning into this for the first time: wash your hands with soap and hot water for the length of time it takes to sing Happy Birthday twice.

It’s simple advice but it’s the single most important thing we can do, as I think our experts would attest.

But at this stage, and with the exception of all of the points I have just mentioned, I want to stress that for the vast majority of the people of this country, we should be going about our business as usual.

WTF were they telling him

Edited by peelyfeet

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Ani said:

Having said that announcing a lockdown starting in 3-4 days and giving people one last Friday night was a mistake. 
What will be unfair will be criticising decisions made 'then' based on what we know 'now'. Eat out to Help out falls in that category.

how so?

it was known at that point the virus had airborne transmission (we knew that in February)

what's changed since Eat Out to show it was a bad idea that we didn't know already?

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

I think it goes back much earlier than this   - it took them until late march to change tack

yet by the 21st Feb, China and S.Korea shared info with the world that proved the disease was airborne (not just droplet), and that asymptomatic spread was happening.

however 10 days Later , on 3rd March Boris told us this in a press conference

WTF where they telling him

The whole mask wearing business was also weird.

For me, why wait so long and wait for more concrete evidence? Suggest they may be of use in the interim.

OK, there were shortages, but other face coverings could be used.

1 minute ago, ZicoKelly said:

how so?

it was known at that point the virus had airborne transmission (we knew that in February)

what's changed since Eat Out to show it was a bad idea that we didn't know already?

The level of airborne transmission was not fully understood at the time. 
Do you think the Govt would have knowingly introduced a scheme that would drive up infections ? And lead to another lock down ? 

41 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Just announced earliest schools are reopening is 8th March.

So that one won't be relaxed for mid February then will it?

Must be pubs then eh? 

The lying cunt.

There are no relaxations up here and won’t be until after Easter it’s looking like and I cannot remember the last time I listened to him or watched a briefing tbh. I just find the reaction funny 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

how so?

Your last sentence is interesting.

So many on here and in general poured scorn on the actual transmission levels in pubs and restaurants. Some still do. Difficult to measure for sure, but majority of establishments were covid secure so maybe those levels weren't adequate. Maybe folk giving false details didn't help etc etc.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Ani said:

Do you think the Govt would have knowingly introduced a scheme that would drive up infections ? And lead to another lock down ? 

This is the very essence of why an inquiry is needed. 

A bit of rational thinking says no government (barring one or two obvious ones) would intentionally or through negligence, injure the nation.

However, such an investigation should be used to highlight weaknesses and errors and make sure they're learned from.

2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

There are no relaxations up here and won’t be until after Easter it’s looking like and I cannot remember the last time I listened to him or watched a briefing tbh. I just find the reaction funny 

Exactly. I bet there won't be here either.

I just don't understand him, he can't help himself. It's like a nervous tic.

37 minutes ago, Ani said:

It might not have been understood by our experts, but it was by Chinese and South Korean, and then Taiwanese, nations with better experience than us in dealing with similar spread -

I honestly think there was an initial delay because they regarded being hesitant with the introduction of restrictions to protect the economy as more important than being over cautious and following the example of the far Eastern nations.

I think the desire to prioritise protecting the economy has been the Achillies heel of the West. I dont think it's a coincidence that Australia and New Zealand copied the far east, and even though the WHO have some flack - this is what DR Mike Ryan told us - if only we'd listened

Edited by peelyfeet

1 minute ago, peelyfeet said:

It might not have been understood by our experts, but it was by Chinese and South Korean, and then Taiwanese, nations with better experience than us in dealing with similar spread -

I honestly think there was an initial delay because they regarded being hesitant with the introduction of restrictions to protect the economy as more important than being over cautious and following the example of the far Eastern nations.

I think the desire to prioritise protecting the economy has been the Achillies heel of the West. I dont think it's a coincidence that Australia and New Zealand copied them, and even though the WHO have some flack - this is what DR Mike Ryan told us - if only we'd listened

I think it was understood by all but we didn’t act because we didn’t even have enough PPE for hospital staff.  

1 hour ago, jmjhb said:

Interesting to see Sanofi, Merck and Pasteur Institute have basically given up on their version of the vaccine. Shows how incredibly lucky we were to have 3 viable options so quickly.

Also good news that Sanofi (I think) are going to help with production of the Pfizer vaccine

Lucky or good planning?

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I think it was understood by all but we didn’t act because we didn’t even have enough PPE for hospital staff.  

if it comes out that they knew, and bullshitted us to protect PPE supplies, told people to shake hands and go about their business, knowing that the virus is airborne indoors - told us to go to pubs for months - told our kids to go to school, there will be murder. Theres 100k dead, probably going to be 140k maybe more - thats a lot of pissed off relatives.  I think they just undersatimated it to an extent and were more concerned about the economic impact

3 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Lucky or good planning?

The fact the first three are so effective  could be classed as 'lucky' simply because so much work in this area does not deliver the outcomes you would hope. There was a great documentary on BBC following the Oxford team which showed their emotional roller coaster awaiting the results  

3 minutes ago, Traf said:

Yeah, but apart from those minor blips, he's done his best.

So easy to focus on the negatives, isn't it? 😉

Another way of describing what they've done could be mass murder?

Good job we didn't take Sir Keir's advice to stick with the EU vaccination process; how  many lives would that cost?

18 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

In Taiwan, on the 2nd Feb they got the army to make masks ASAP because they identified a shortage - they ploughed money into quickly upscaling the production lines - making 10 million a day, banned exports - took us until 15th June to make them mandatory on public transport - 19 weeks. hindisght is everything, but it's a long time that

Edited by peelyfeet

Just now, boltondiver said:

Good job we didn't take Sir Keir's advice to stick with the EU vaccination process; how  many lives would that cost?

I couldn't give a shit about what Keir said/did etc : he's not running the country.

Sticking up for a guy culpable in over 100k of deaths by saying someone else would have done worse isn't a good look.