Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, fatty said:

I think it was a big mistake leaving the south east to live the life of Riley for so long and I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what’s behind the current wave rather than a new strain being the main cause, but we’ll never know. 

I agree with most of your post but not this bit about the new strain. Scientists don't make shit up to suit politicians. We do know there is a new strain and to be honest, it isn't unexpected, it is what virus' do.

I agree it is always a balancing act but for me, seeing the numbers in Italy and Spain at the start we knew it was coming and probably already here in bigger numbers than feared yet airports remained open.

Once we did lock down, you have to praise them for the extensive furlough and business help, despite some being shafted it was always going to be unfortunately. They have helped a lot more than most countries.

This 2nd wave is just a nightmare though, the numbers dying day on day is just awful.

We can't blame everything on the Government, we need to look at ourselves too of course.

17 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

I agree with most of your post but not this bit about the new strain. Scientists don't make shit up to suit politicians. We do know there is a new strain and to be honest, it isn't unexpected, it is what virus' do.

I agree it is always a balancing act but for me, seeing the numbers in Italy and Spain at the start we knew it was coming and probably already here in bigger numbers than feared yet airports remained open.

Fair point about the airports.

Im not doubting that the new strains exist. I’m suspicious that it isn’t the cause of the recent wave and it’s more  of a distraction from the real cause of not closing down the south east. Pure speculation on my part though and we’ll never know. 

I think keeping south east open was a big error of judgment and as an aside has also undone much of the progress made trying close the north-south divide. 

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Bill Gates still involved? I can't keep up with the drivel they spread 

Anyone who thinks bill gates is part of some sinister conspiracy to take over the world should watch this video 

He's no Hitler 

5 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Yes we always have been. Scroll back about 800 pages and find out where I’ve said it about 10 times as folk trot out meaningless graphs comparing us and other nations. Apple and a egg in most cases is the comparison. 

Excess deaths for various countries about half way down this page.

https://www.ft.com/content/a2901ce8-5eb7-4633-b89c-cbdf5b386938

There's no way of slicing it that doesn't have us as one of the worst.

3 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

Ive never said we aren’t one of the worst. Ever. My issue always has been and my point again is that we are comparing data that isn’t the same data set. It’s as simple as that. 

every death we’ve had is truly unfortunate and undoubtedly some could be avoided and rightly there will be questions to answer for this in due course. 

But for me comparing deaths in a league table is one strange fucking thing to do be it by the government or anyone off here. And it’s even worse when it’s done to prove a political point as some on here regularly do. It’s actually sick 

3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Ive never said we aren’t one of the worst. Ever. My issue always has been and my point again is that we are comparing data that isn’t the same data set. It’s as simple as that. 

every death we’ve had is truly unfortunate and undoubtedly some could be avoided and rightly there will be questions to answer for this in due course. 

But for me comparing deaths in a league table is one strange fucking thing to do be it by the government or anyone off here. And it’s even worse when it’s done to prove a political point as some on here regularly do. It’s actually sick 

I think calling it sick is a bit of pearl clutching to be honest. In a global pandemic where multiple countries have been affected by the same threat, it's perfectly reasonable (if not absolutely essential) to look at who's approach has fared better. That means deaths and the economy (where we've done shite) as well as testing and vaccines (where we've done well).

As mentioned, nobody seemed to have an issue with this - including the government - until it made us look bad.

Anyway, the idea that our numbers are higher than elsewhere because of the way we're counting them is incorrect. 

11 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

He looks like a scientologist and a shit Douglas Hurd.

and the quote from him on wiki:

In a television interview in December 2020 he called for healthcare and scientific experts to be "put in their place" and said: "We're [the government] paying too much attention to health professionals and scientists on health and science issues."

Where the fuck do we get these people from? Oh and he's apparently on the Parliament Ecclesiastical Committee  - so presumably his wisdom comes from a higher power

15 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

I think calling it sick is a bit of pearl clutching to be honest. In a global pandemic where multiple countries have been affected by the same threat, it's perfectly reasonable (if not absolutely essential) to look at who's approach has fared better. That means deaths and the economy (where we've done shite) as well as testing and vaccines (where we've done well).

As mentioned, nobody seemed to have an issue with this - including the government - until it made us look bad.

Anyway, the idea that our numbers are higher than elsewhere because of the way we're counting them is incorrect. 

Can you show me where italy and France I think it was , care home deaths are being counted in the figures as they certainly weren’t. It was at one point purely hospitals I believe. 

and I’ve always had an issue with comparing death totals it’s grim as fuck. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Michael, now you know that's bollox, F.E.A.R is a classic and lyrically brilliant, anyone who says otherwise is trying to be different.

Browns solo stuff was, to be a bit 90's .... top, mint 👌

Pity his singing voice is flat as a fart eh?

44 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Can you show me where italy and France I think it was , care home deaths are being counted in the figures as they certainly weren’t. It was at one point purely hospitals I believe. 

and I’ve always had an issue with comparing death totals it’s grim as fuck. 

Care home deaths, and all deaths, are counted in the excess death totals, which are on the charts in that FT link.

7 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

Good data there

If we can get ahead with the vaccinations, we can get farther up the league

Edited by boltondiver
w

14 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Also we have to remember China was the source of this and seemingly within about 4’week they had it under control. Or so they said 🧐

Talking to textile agent yesterday he said over 80 city’s/ regions back under lockdown in China, don’t think it’s ever been in control. 

• Members
16 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Talking to textile agent yesterday he said over 80 city’s/ regions back under lockdown in China, don’t think it’s ever been in control. 

When you say Chinese textile agent is that code for sweatshop?