Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BLM

miamiwhite

7 minutes ago, royal white said:

NIC not long ago you said that if you witnessed fans booing players taking the knee at the game you would report them. Wouldn’t you put that alongside freedom and of speech? If so why are you trying to silence people? 

Nic also claimed certain non offensive phrases are actually offensive therefore shouldn't be said.

18 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I think I've outlined I understand the anger above, there is no need to go over it again and I've described why there is currently a lot of self-analysis from the left at this time, that's not answering one's own questions, that's providing context.

What I've described is why I'm still facing with asking you the same two questions. I get you are very angry with people in London who didn't listen. But you have constantly gone on about being shut down. Just because someone in a Shoreditch pub is a bit of a dick, doesn't mean everyone who has liberal values is, nor is every liberal value wrong - that's where the anger falls down, because its actually not going to help. You and the bloke with the bread in John the Unicorn are like WW1 fighters, popping your heads over the trenches, taking pot shots and neither of you gaining any ground to the benefit of anyone.

You say you speak for millions, if that isn't arrogant I don't know what it, there are also millions that would disagree with you. I would like more of a consensus politics with listening and debate - not this upper hand dismissiveness that causes divisiveness. Interestingly you mention monoculture, I actually think this is exactly what a lot of your missives prove, I'm not sure you are aiming for a broadening of speech, you are looking for what you think is the correct way. If someone supports BLM for whatever reason - dismissed as woke-ist nonsense, if someone says I don't have an issue with people defining themselves as whatever they want to - attention seeking twattery, If someone says as an organisation they have an open and inclusive policy statement - bowing to an agenda, if someone discusses the structural issues with gender pay-gaps - moaning feminazis, nothing to see here, move along.

You can see how this comes across as a monoculture as you have described? No one is seeking moral perfection, and no one has the right to dismiss views, and I still can't see who is stopping you saying what you want to, unless I've misunderstood what you actually want to say, and I really hope I haven't because you seem like a decent bloke.

I am not saying I speak for millions. I am saying I have similar views to millions. Recent brushes with the ballot box make this indisputable. It is yet another subtle attempt to try to undermine by personalising and you have no latitude for doing so.

I am all for broadening of speech. If people want to believe the things you describe in your third paragraph they are welcome to do so. If they believed these things with humility and sought to explain them humbly they may get more traction. Instead we get the wagging finger and the lecturing.

People are also welcome to describe their views as attention seeking twattery and the rest if that is what they think. Open and inclusive policy statements are not beyond criticism just because someone in officialdom decides they are the orthodoxy.  If people think they are bowing to an agenda then it for the characters who believe in such things to make the counter-point in open and free debate. The English language is full of words - none of them should be off limits. Through the cut and thrust of such debate comes the closest you will ever get to the consensus you seek - a view prevails through the democratic process and Government's are formed.  Focus groups with biscuits and tea and people speaking in riddles and platitudes won't do the trick. In any case there should never, ever be a complete consensus. There are/were nations in the world who present themselves as having such a thing - you would not want to live in any of them. 

I'm mystified as to how you can watch the Labour Party lose four general elections on the trot, watch Brexit and then write sentences that admit there are people who thought all views other than a liberal world-view are "null and void" - only to then in the somehow fail to understand how people thought their views were being undermined, marginalised and ignored. You really do need to wire these two things together in your thought process. Is it by accident or design that this has not occurred?

Political discourse is untidy and challenging.  We knew this for decades and the left of years gone by from Attlee to Wilson to Benn and on to Kinnock did not fall prey to the illiberal trends we see today on the left. Can that common sense be reclaimed? 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Youri McAnespie said:

You're 'not sure where I'm going with this...' - then make a precise counter argument which suggests you think you did know where I was going...

Where I was actually going was - certain posters lay claim that this site is some 'woke' (whatever the fuck that means) shangri-la.

It isn't.

Same folk come on with 'political' schtick most of which does the site no favours at all, some of which is outright embarrassing.

I'm a Battlenips fan, Zico should be commended, I'd trade a single round of Battlenips for all the 'little bit of politics' bollocks.

Battlenips is a throwback to the good old days when it was bollocks and tits and a smidgin of football.

I've been heartened recently to see more and more of the leftist cable stop chiming in to this 'debate' farce on 'political' threads which then become a beyond parody 'yes mate', 'indeed mate' alty-righty gammony spinach circle-jerky lemon party.

There was a belting one t'other day - about sixty posts uninterrupted from the 'ooh, we are SO right-wing' club...

It was fucking laughable.

Doesn't confirm what I thought then. Still none the wiser in fact. I gave a point aimed at what I thought you were saying, but you weren't. So, no it wasn't a counterargument. Very much not, just a justification for putting up pictures of busters.

As for the other stuff, you understand full well the points being made in general- you can choose to agree or disagree. Simple.

18 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I am not saying I speak for millions. I am saying I have similar views to millions. Recent brushes with the ballot box make this indisputable. It is yet another subtle attempt to try to undermine by personalising and you have no latitude for doing so.

I am all for broadening of speech. If people want to believe the things you describe in your third paragraph they are welcome to do so. If they believed these things with humility and sought to explain them humbly they may get more traction. Instead we get the wagging finger and the lecturing.

People are also welcome to describe their views as attention seeking twattery and the rest if that is what they think. Open and inclusive policy statements are not beyond criticism just because someone in officialdom decides they are the orthodoxy.  If people think they are bowing to an agenda then it for the characters who believe in such things to make the counter-point in open and free debate. The English language is full of words - none of them should be off limits. Through the cut and thrust of such debate comes the closest you will ever get to the consensus you seek - a view prevails through the democratic process and Government's are formed.  Focus groups with biscuits and tea and people speaking in riddles and platitudes won't do the trick. In any case there should never, ever be a complete consensus. There are/were nations in the world who present themselves as having such a thing - you would not want to live in any of them. 

I'm mystified as to how you can watch the Labour Party lose four general elections on the trot, watch Brexit and then write sentences that admit there are people who thought all views other than a liberal world-view are "null and void" - only to then in the somehow fail to understand how people thought their views were being undermined, marginalised and ignored. You really do need to wire these two things together in your thought process. Is it by accident or design that this has not occurred?

Political discourse is untidy and challenging.  We knew this for decades and the left of years gone by from Attlee to Wilson to Benn and on to Kinnock did not fall prey to the illiberal trends we see today on the left. Can that common sense be reclaimed? 

The crowd is hushed in The Crucible as we await the return of NiC, you can hear a pin 📌 drop.

Royal White has already chalked his cue and is strutting around the table like a Funky Chicken.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, miamiwhite said:

The crowd is hushed in The Crucible as we await the return of NiC, you can hear a pin 📌 drop.

Royal White has already chalked his cue and is strutting around the table like a Funky Chicken.

It's the mental equivalent of a woman ( woops person of some fuckin obscure gender or identifying as an inanimate object) reverse parking. 🤣

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Snooker behind the ball of ethNiC origin? 

4 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

It's the mental equivalent of a woman ( woops person of some fuckin obscure gender or identifying as an inanimate object) reverse parking. 🤣

The crowd are now giving it the slow hand clap as NiC shats himself in the dressing room.

Paul Hurricane Hanley and Ronnie Royal White are entertaining the audience to a variety of trick shots in the meantime and posing for selfies with the fans

1 minute ago, miamiwhite said:

The crowd are now giving it the slow hand clap as NiC shats himself in the dressing room.

Paul Hurricane Hanley and Ronnie Royal White are entertaining the audience to a variety of trick shots in the meantime and posing for selfies with the fans

Laptop being switched off for domestic reasons so I will leave the floor open to Cliff Thorburn AKA NiC to construct a very long-winded 147 break and send everyone to sleep. 

9 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

The recent episode involving the teacher in Batley would be a good example of a restriction of free speech.

Even the match referee has joined in and put the Chirpy Cockney wannabee in an impossible to get out of snooker.

I've not seen such one sided snooker since Steve Davis played Abu Hamza

• Site Supporter
Just now, miamiwhite said:

Even the match referee has joined in and put the Chirpy Cockney wannabee in an impossible to get out of snooker.

Just nipping out to get a wheelie bin full of popcorn... 

Just now, miamiwhite said:

When Lennie Peters played snooker it made Cliff Thorburn look like he was on speed 😂😂😂