Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

70's Football

miamiwhite

2 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Funny how your memory plays tricks. I was convinced it was a Bremner back header at the Embankment end.

Full enquiry required!

Well me & thee agree it was Embankment .The other semi the Stretford rags lost against Everton was to a Colin Harvey  Lever End goal.

Cant remember a back header but you & Steejay agree on that so on the balance of probability it was ,but Embankment definitely .

So Bolty 100% memory faculty to you & 50% to us other oldies.

Took a while but managed to find a picture of Bremner scoring at the Embankment end with a volley after a knockdown from Alan Clark.

Cant upload the picture cos I’m a Luddite .

So our memories are only partially fckd.

It was the second reply ,played on a Thursday evening 

in those days only minimal coverage ie no cameras.

The final shenanigans v Chelsea overshadowed all that went before really.

51 minutes ago, leigh white said:

I managed to get a ticket outside the ground at cost price for the Lever End, biggest attendance i've ever been on at BP that night, some papers had it at 60,000 that night.

According to a Leeds fan site it was 56k .Don't tell Roger but I seem to remember Leeds didn't sell their full allocation & managed 17k .

Obviously the Bolton contingent made up for the shortfall + a few more.In those days it was anybody but the rags ....even Leeds.

1 hour ago, Take Hunt Off said:

According to a Leeds fan site it was 56k .Don't tell Roger but I seem to remember Leeds didn't sell their full allocation & managed 17k .

Obviously the Bolton contingent made up for the shortfall + a few more.In those days it was anybody but the rags ....even Leeds.

I was there that night

Also went to the Everton vs Munich game 1966 - another 1-0 defeat for that scum

I was on the Embankment and there were a good few Reds in there. Leeds started twirling their scarves above their heads after they scored, whereas previously their scarves had been hidden out of sight. Quite a few Man U fans left before the final whistle to ambush Yerkshiremen walking up Manny Rd  towards the train station.

It was one of the first times i'd witnessed football violence close up - all fairly tame stuff really, compared to what was to come.

a9f10fc36367aa5bb171dc796f79fd78.jpg

Cardiff-away-74-5.jpg1_Plymouth-v-Portsmouth-82-83.jpg

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Members
13 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Took a while but managed to find a picture of Bremner scoring at the Embankment end with a volley after a knockdown from Alan Clark.

Cant upload the picture cos I’m a Luddite .

So our memories are only partially fckd.

It was the second reply ,played on a Thursday evening 

in those days only minimal coverage ie no cameras.

The final shenanigans v Chelsea overshadowed all that went before really.

...and, by virtue of my old man blagging some tickets, I was at both legs of that final. 2-2 at Wenbley and 2-1 to Chelsea at OT.

Weird that I thought it was a back header. Where the fuck did that come from?

15 hours ago, bolty58 said:

...and, by virtue of my old man blagging some tickets, I was at both legs of that final. 2-2 at Wenbley and 2-1 to Chelsea at OT.

Weird that I thought it was a back header. Where the fuck did that come from?

Obviously not off the back of Bremner's head mate 😉 

23 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I was on the Embankment and there were a good few Reds in there. Leeds started twirling their scarves above their heads after they scored, whereas previously their scarves had been hidden out of sight. Quite a few Man U fans left before the final whistle to ambush Yerkshiremen walking up Manny Rd  towards the train station.

It was one of the first times i'd witnessed football violence close up - all fairly tame stuff really, compared to what was to come.

a9f10fc36367aa5bb171dc796f79fd78.jpg

Cardiff-away-74-5.jpg1_Plymouth-v-Portsmouth-82-83.jpg

Bottom pic is Pompey taking liberties at Home Park. 10,000of the buggers to clinch old Div 3.  Painted Stonehenge blue on way down. Its 83 and not 70s to be a pedantic.

Edited by green genie