Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Name The Ground

Zico

• Moderators
12 hours ago, tomski said:

York?

7 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Great shout. Odd little ground. The kiosks are little huts in each corner that are open to the elements with a flat roof. Nailed on they’ll cave in within a couple of years. 

Aye 

Odd ground also as it doesn't even look like a ground from the front, looks more like a university campus or something 

PXL_20240510_151040204.jpg

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Aye 

Odd ground also as it doesn't even look like a ground from the front, looks more like a university campus or something 

Even more mad at one end where it’s built in to a bowling alley!

Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

Still hosting games, too. A weird mix of kids games, women’s and pub teams. 

Yeah saw something like a shit local Saturday league or Sunday league team use it.

I fail to see the point. Remember at the time thinking it wasn’t a terrible ground. Think they were building a new stand or something too. 

5 minutes ago, tomski said:

Yeah saw something like a shit local Saturday league or Sunday league team use it.

I fail to see the point. Remember at the time thinking it wasn’t a terrible ground. Think they were building a new stand or something too. 

Yeah they’d not long since built a new stand, I think. Fall out with the landlord and he thought the club were bluffing when they said they were going to fuck off and build a ground of their own (and in a better location).

Some similarities with Oxford in that sense, minus the better location bit. 

51 minutes ago, tomski said:

Millmoor - Wikipedia

Just now, paulhanley said:

There weren't all those seats behind the goal when we regularly got dicked there in the 80s and early 90s. 

I think that’s the new stand they never finished.

• Site Supporter
On 11/05/2024 at 08:18, Zico said:

Aye 

It looks likethat ESSA at the top of LEL from there.

Watched one of those urban exploration videos recently from Milmoor, such a strange place. Abandoned offices and executive suites, fixtures and stands falling to bits yet the pitch still very much in use.

Posted (edited)

I got refused entry to Millmore in the 80s because I was too inebriated. OK, I was but I was no more pissed than any other Bolton fan who rocked up in Rotherham at 12pm. Spent the match in a chicken coop type holding area under the away end. Then I was taken to Rotherham nick were I met, for the first time, Boltons very own dedicated hoolie officer, PC Roscoe. He was wanted me to be his "inside man" in the AHM. He wanted Mr. Big, @victor meldrew

Edited by Underpants

• Site Supporter
21 hours ago, Underpants said:

I got refused entry to Millmore in the 80s because I was too inebriated. OK, I was but I was no more pissed than any other Bolton fan who rocked up in Rotherham at 12pm. Spent the match in a chicken coop type holding area under the away end. Then I was taken to Rotherham nick were I met, for the first time, Boltons very own dedicated hoolie officer, PC Roscoe. He was wanted me to be his "inside man" in the AHM. He wanted Mr. Big, @victor meldrew

It8s a slow burner being an “inside man” I’ve heard. Did you end up in a relationship with folk to keep up the charade?

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

It8s a slow burner being an “inside man” I’ve heard. Did you end up in a relationship with folk to keep up the charade?

Roscoe actually did ask me to give him a shout if I heard of anything that might happen. Don't forget this was around the time of operation Gamma so it was kicking off almost everywhere Bolton rocked up.