Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Orient (H)

DomRepWanderer

54 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

Maddest thing was Arthur never got a sniff after his impact the other week for me

Didn’t rate Fonz today but he’s got to stick with them 2 and Doyle next match now 👍🏻

Don't agree with Fonz I thought he had his best game for a long time; yes he should have buried the two chances but his overall play was good. Saying that he didn't challenge for their early corner which could have give a goal away

4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Zebedee, is he conning someone he’s a footballer? The break he made consisted of a touch, a boot upfield and a tame shot. Other (better) players would perhaps have kept the ball close. I thought he got fairly lucky that the keeper didn’t come out to boot it upfield. I certainly thought he was probably closer to it but opted to stay.

All he had to do was square it to Arthur who had virtually an open goal , Arthur deserved a goal as well .

Makes a change watching us running down the clock with a two goal lead.

I was making a lot of self-satisfied "hums" rather than muttering "bastards cunts"  under my breath when putting my coat on to walk the dog after.

442 and 45% possession, we did the basics well and and now need to grow some confidence in front of goal. I can only recall two needless free kicks conceded in our half.

Couple of toughies coming up next, I'd like to think we'll approach these with the same mindset

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Rudy said:

I’m gonna stick up for zebidee

i think he’s a little rusty, lacking in match fitness and sharpness, he’s got ability, I think he has potential to create and score goals 

Exactly. Santos was "the worst defender we've ever signed" after his first couple of starts...

5 minutes ago, Rudy said:

i think he’s a little rusty, lacking in match fitness and sharpness, he’s got ability, I think he has potential to create and score goals 

I'm with you on that. Looks a good player to bring on when the opposition are chasing the game or when they're playing a high line. 

Offers something different. And the way he went for the bottom corner for his second chance today was actually well done - he should have just taken a chance when it first came to him.

Certainly don't understand people writing him off yet. I did that with Santos 😁

Edited by kent_white

• Site Supporter

Yep I’m another one in the too early to call on Elbouzedi yet. I think there’s potential there. Despite the wrong choice in execution on a couple of occasions, he was taking up good positions, demonstrated great pace and nearly scored a couple of goals, an eventful 5/10 mins!  However for now his impact needs to be from the bench. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, bolton va va said:

Could & should have been more but still lovely.......when we put it together for 90 mins & take our chances, we're going to gub somebody. 

Early days, but with Sarce in for Thomasson, this might be our best team.

MOM, Lee did a lot of the unglamorous stuff well, Arthur was a real threat going forward but not always so good defensively, but i'd share it between Baptiste & Santos - both excellent !!

EIEIEIO 

On today's set up, Sarcevic in for Thomasson would worry me: I don't think he does the defensive stuff so well. 

9 minutes ago, Rudy said:

In those two chances he had, he was more threatening than in the entirety of his debut. 

Good pace on the first one- I thought he'd over hit it as he sailed past the first defender, but easily got to it again.

Just needed to get his head up. 

The second one, having controlled it and not shot, it looked like he was going to lay it off to Doyle, then shot.

Hopefully he'll settle in, but at the moment, that front 3 or 4 looked quite good.

I can't help feeling that Jackson will be dropped for John on Tuesday, which would be harsh, unless he moves into midfield.

Pleasant change that, a Saturday night not grumbling and moaning about what's been served up, a lot to like today.

Back four all very good, Baptiste rock steady and just about the pick of them.

Lee solid, sound, showed nouse

Fonz a fair bit better today, seemed to suit him being a bit deeper and having the ball in areas where he could run with it. The misses were awful though 

Arthur was great and deserved a goal, Elbouzedi should have put him one on a plate. Will give that lad a bit longer before judging him, something there I think, needs to get his head up a bit.

Doyle had been awful up to that golden period, touch miles off, gave it away loads but the finish on that second, when it bobbled in front of him, was clinical.

All in all a good day's work, nice to say it for a change 

• Site Supporter

Some of us are quick to criticise IE in defeat, blaming his tactics and selections. Today he deserves credit. Some of his decisions would have been slated had we lost; 4-2-4 weak midfield, no Tutte, and the selections of Brockbank, Fonz, Isgrove and Baptiste, making 6 changes from last week. Can you imagine the uproar if he’d have said “well they did well in training this week and that’s the formation we worked on” the IE in/out thread would have been fun.

So presumably if those 11 did show up well in training and that formation worked well today, he deserves some credit. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, kent_white said:

Agree with this. But he doesn't half put a shift in. Every game!

I think Doyle generally has a very decent first touch, but perhaps doesn't have the pace to get away from a defender afterwards, so perhaps needs someone running off him quickly. 

Works really hard though, early involvement for the second, used it well then got into the box.

Still our best finisher.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, desperado said:

Some of us are quick to criticise IE in defeat, blaming his tactics and selections. Today he deserves credit. Some of his decisions would have been slated had we lost; 4-2-4 weak midfield, no Tutte, and the selections of Brockbank, Fonz, Isgrove and Baptiste, making 6 changes from last week. Can you imagine the uproar if he’d have said “well they did well in training this week and that’s the formation we worked on” the IE in/out thread would have been fun.

So presumably if those 11 did show up well in training and that formation worked well today, he deserves some credit. 

Midfield did look weak to me at 2.55 but it worked. I like Evatt, want him to succeed and think he will succeed.

Not sure them 11 would be suited to an away day but I trust Evatt. 

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think Doyle generally has a very decent first touch, but perhaps doesn't have the pace to get away from a defender afterwards, so perhaps needs someone running off him quickly. 

Works really hard though, early involvement for the second, used it well then got into the box.

Still our best finisher.

I find it hard to get mad with anybody who works their arse of. Frustrated with me, but never mad..... 🙂

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, captainmed said:

A big 2 away games to come.

Hope you are right.

Need a minimum of 4 points if we are looking up.

The bar has been lowered that much, that most would take 2 draws.

Mansfield and Salford, 2 big games. Beats being shifted to 12pm at Hartlepool though because Wasps were playing rugby there and that was a bigger game

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, captainmed said:

A big 2 away games to come.

Hope you are right.

Need a minimum of 4 points if we are looking up.

The bar has been lowered that much, that most would take 2 draws.

Are you gonna report back?

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Midfield did look weak to me at 2.55 but it worked. I like Evatt, want him to succeed and think he will succeed.

Not sure them 11 would be suited to an away day but I trust Evatt. 

Yeh it’s an interesting one come Tuesday, the case for and against keeping it the same or resting/refreshing. And this is where we can hypothesise all we want, but only IE and the coaching team will know the players well enough to make that call, who needs resting, whether the plan changes or not. You could justify as someone claimed earlier the rotation of some players as part of the plan to get through a multitude of games or keeping the winning side together for another crack.

22 minutes ago, desperado said:

Credit where its due, no problem with that today - attacking line up, that's what we've wanted, with 2 centre backs sticking to their jobs, not 3 getting in each other's way and trying to cover the none existent full backs.  And I said at half time it was better regardless of result, so as not to be wise after the event if we won.  You must surely be a bit frustrated that this has hardly happened before?  And the "training" thing is a myth as proven by him picking 2 new signings in the previous home game who had hardly even met their team mates never mind proved themselves better than the others.  Its a convenient thing to say because there is no comeback, we can't comment on training standards.  

Anyway onwards and upwards, 2020 has gone and its all going to come right in 2021.

Got to admit I was concerned at HT .We looked a bit open through the middle of the park & Thomason although game was struggling to get to grips with McNuff or whatever his name is in their midfield. I would have had Fonz or Doyle off at HT & Tutte on.We seemed top heavy but not effective .Anyway can now give my head a wobble.

Hoping he tweaks it a bit on Tues

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Credit where its due, no problem with that today - attacking line up, that's what we've wanted, with 2 centre backs sticking to their jobs, not 3 getting in each other's way and trying to cover the none existent full backs.  And I said at half time it was better regardless of result, so as not to be wise after the event if we won.  You must surely be a bit frustrated that this has hardly happened before?  And the "training" thing is a myth as proven by him picking 2 new signings in the previous home game who had hardly even met their team mates never mind proved themselves better than the others.  Its a convenient thing to say because there is no comeback, we can't comment on training standards.  

Anyway onwards and upwards, 2020 has gone and its all going to come right in 2021.

Yes fair play I see you’ve recognised the positives and improvements. And similar to you I did claim before the Cheltenham game that I wasn’t a fan of throwing walk through the door signings straight into the team, although the Jackson selection proved to be a good one. 

But hopefully these claims of IE being stubborn can be put to bed, he’s made lots of changes to personnel and formations these last few weeks in trying to find the right formula.