Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Staycations

Dimron

Just now, Escobarp said:

Because I wanted to add something. Is that ok? I think you confuse yourself with someone else as well tbh

anyway have a cracking warm day down there 

I don't think I do, I don't know who you are to be honest aside from an advatar on a football forum.

Will do thanks, and you enjoy your splendid isolation.

38 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Seahouses has got busier over the years, last time I went it wasn't as good.

Further up, find the ship Inn at Newton by the sea.

Obviously its closed at the moment, but its quite a place; you have to park up in the village and have a mooch along the beach to it. Lots of character.

Further down, a great walk from Embleton to Craster. Along beaches or through fields. Go past Dunstanburgh Castle ruin.

The jolly fisherman (I think) opposite the smoke House in Craster does good food (crab soup is top stuff).

Rothbury is a lovely area, with Cragside gardens if that floats your boat. Other national trust places too.

Great walking country.

Bamburgh Castle is impressive, but for fucks sake, dont take any pictures inside!

Doddington dairy does a some great local cheese, and is available in the area.

Wooler also a good base for walking (great butchers too), but there is so much space, its easy to get away from the crowds.

Rivers give fishing opportunities too.

That's brilliant thanks very much, exactly what i was looking for, when this is over I'll get out and report back

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Ghana White said:

That's brilliant thanks very much, exactly what i was looking for, when this is over I'll get out and report back

Stayed at Bulmer couple of years back. Not particularly touristy but a good base for exploring. Right on the sea, good beach with some rocky areas. 

Ale House, and local fisherman, who supplied us with a sea trout and two bass, freshly caught, for a tenner. Probably worth around £50+; was lovely and so much even the dogs got some.

If you're into rock pools, there are thousands of them in the area- once got a video of two crabs having a right go at each other, big buggers too, lad was fascinated. :)

46 minutes ago, crawshawbooth said:

that proper southern hard stuff ?

i didnt think it would trouble us tonight but having been out and seeing the odd flake swirling around and feeling the drop in temperature i am not so sure now

Nah, this is rubbish. Looks pretty but not sticking and it's been snowing since 10.

4 hours ago, Escobarp said:

I am sweaty today actually 7 miles into a 15mile walk down by the beach and sea in the back of beyond. 
And no chips on my health kick.  

In shorts?

5 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

No fully wrapped up today. Biting wind coming off the sea. Only managed 13.5 miles though. Blew away the cobwebs though 

That kind of day

13.5 miles is pretty good, mind!

2 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

I can't be arsed reading back to see if another pedant has picked up on this, but staycations are when you don't leave the house.

Going to Cornwall is still a holiday

Can be either, apparently 

Any which way

9 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

That kind of day

13.5 miles is pretty good, mind!

Yeah I’ve had a sore calf this week so running has been out but have covered 100km this week. 
found some stunning coastal paths/walks since the turn of the year that I never knew existed 

Snow is trying but it’s just a flurry won’t come to much 

4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Yeah I’ve had a sore calf this week so running has been out but have covered 100km this week. 
found some stunning coastal paths/walks since the turn of the year that I never knew existed 

Snow is trying but it’s just a flurry won’t come to much 

62 miles, excellent 

I’m at 48

20 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Are these going to be regrettable words when you wake up to six foot snow drifts tomorrow?

😁 5 miles inland from me they get bad snow but here we don’t really get it bad although I’ve only lived here 2 1/2 years so might wake up to a white out.