Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Musical Guilty Pleasures

Rudy

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Spider said:

Tom Odell

Imagine, if you can, a more annoying 2013 sound than the trout-tongued singer from Bastille going “Ayd if yew clews yer ayezzz” before EVERY SINGLE YouTube clip of the year so far. Can’t do it? Then imagine this – an act that’s three parts Ben Howard, five parts Adele, four parts Keane, eight parts Florence and 500 parts Marcus Mumford’s arse. The sort of artist that’s a shoo-in for the Brits Critics Award, voted for by made-up ‘critics’ from Whatever Soporific MOR Shite Sold Fuckloads Last Year To People Who Don’t Really Like Music Magazine. Welcome to Tom Odell. Please, you’re welcome to him. 

Just as there was a certain brooding promise to his teaser hit ‘Another Love’ before someone waterboarded it with cod-pagan pomp until it was a trembling, desperate mess prepared to do anything its overlords told it to, ‘Long Way Down’ is a decently bland album by a (probably) decently bland sort of bloke that’s been shafted so hard by The Man it’s submitted to gospel choirs (‘Can’t Pretend’), Coldplay chorus ballast (‘I Know’, ‘Till I Lost’) and Mumford money jigs (‘Grow Old With Me’) – all over-emoting songs about nothing. 

During the maudlin quietude of ‘Sense’ or the title track, a tiny inkling of pity emerges in your sickened soul, and you convince yourself the 22-year-old from Chichester is just a poor, misguided wannabe who’s fallen into the hands of the music industry equivalent of Hungarian sex traffickers. Then he comes over all Lionel Richie on ‘Supposed To Be’. I wish I could say there’s a place in Hell reserved for Tom Odell. There’s not. Just loads more Brits. He’ll be all over 2013 like a virulent dose of musical syphilis, pounding and warbling away at every Papal election and Bradley Wiggins finishing line. Be warned, you can’t unhear it. 

I'm glad someone else noticed how annoying the bloke out of Bastille sounds

• Moderators
10 hours ago, bolton_blondie said:

Wouldn't say its a guilty pleasure. It's a beautiful song that I don't hear often and it made a tired and hormonal woman very emotional on her drove home from work today. 

He sounds like my three year old daughter when she walks round with a sheet on her head pretending to be a ghost

• Members

Is Tom Odell the one who tried to pass off it’s real love as his own for the John Lewis advert? Did it on live lounge saying I’ve got this new song called Real love, before he was pulled and they had to reshoot it because it wasn’t his. 

When in fact it was a little know scouse bands called The Beatles.

Tit

• Moderators
On 20/05/2021 at 11:57, Rudy said:

Madonna - Vogue

not even ashamed

BANGER

1000 points if without googling you can tell me what film soundtrack that was from 

(I know because i owned it) 

• Members
1 minute ago, Zico said:

1000 points if without googling you can tell me what film soundtrack that was from 

I wanna say it’s a Wesley snipes film

2 hours ago, Zico said:

Devil Wears Prada

I was a big Madonna fan on the sly.