Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

European Super League

Spider

Sorry do not agree with last few posts. 
But I think I maybe contradictory in my thinking! I do watch the EPL, not as much as when we were involved and normally I pick and choose based on teams. Leeds v Liverpool is an example tonight of a game I will watch, had Arsenal Fulham on yesterday but played Wi golf instead of watching. However I can not remember last Champions League game I watched or Championship game I watched. That is where my thinking feels skewed as I do watch some games based on a good watch but the so called highest level Champions League is of no interest , it is not an elite thing as never watch the Championship either.

What fucks me off with the thinking behind these plans is that football clubs are deep rooted in communities and their importance/impact goes way beyond any other business of similar size. This applies to United as much as it does to us. As much to Rochdale as it does to Liverpool. We can not on one hand slag off United for leaving and say let them hang themselves, but not give a shit about the impact on the fans and communities tied into a club. 
The current owners and players are custodians of something that has been built over decades to see that torn down because these custodians do not understand the importance of football is bad enough, to say we do not care makes it worse. To say it only 'add in any of 6' is no more right if those 6 are big and rich than if they are small poor and in our case mis managed. 
I think it is really important to not bracket the current custodians of the club with the actual club itself. Look at us is BWFC a better club based on current custodians compared to the previous guy ? 
The idea that these Johnny know nothing fuck wits think they have bought the right to rip up decades of tradition in the game and not only them not give a fuck but supporters like us should not give a fuck is surrender monkey land for me.

Edited by Ani

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Ani said:

But I think I maybe contradictory in my thinking! I do watch the EPL, not as much as when we were involved and normally I pick and choose based on teams. Leeds v Liverpool is an example tonight of a game I will watch, had Arsenal Fulham on yesterday but played Wi golf instead of watching. However I can not remember last Champions League game I watched or Championship game I watched. That is where my thinking feels skewed as I do watch some games based on a good watch but the so called highest level Champions League is of no interest , it is not an elite thing as never watch the Championship either.

What fucks me off with the thinking behind these plans is that football clubs are deep rooted in communities and their importance/impact goes way beyond any other business of similar size. This applies to United as much as it does to us. As much to Rochdale as it does to Liverpool. We can not on one hand slag off United for leaving and say let them hang themselves, but not give a shit about the impact on the fans and communities tied into a club. 
The current owners and players are custodians of something that has been built over decades to see that torn down because these custodians do not understand the importance of football is bad enough, to say we do not care makes it worse. To say it only 'add in any of 6' is no more right if those 6 are big and rich than if they are small poor and in our case mis managed. 
I think it is really important to not bracket the current custodians of the club with the actual club itself. Look at us is BWFC a better club based on current custodians compared to the previous guy ? 
The idea that these Johnny know nothing fuck wits think they have bought the right to rip up decades of tradition in the game and not only them not give a fuck but supporters like us should not give a fuck is surrender monkey land for me.

I know in my heart of hearts that you're right.

But anything that pisses the scousers and the rags off or threatens to make them suffer generally appeals to me. So I am a bit torn.

14 minutes ago, Ani said:

That is all true, but as I said in my earlier post, you can't put the genie back in the bottle now. Or rather I'd be plesently surprised if it did. Of course these clubs are supposed to be for communities and have been built from that base, but - and here's the real question - a fan in Hong Kong matter less to a club that one in Salford to the actual people running the club? I'd say no. Global fanbases have dictated the larger clubs for a long time.

Should we stand with Liverpool and Utd fans who are fucked off about this decision, absolutely we should. Will it change anything? I'm just not sure it will in the long run.

• Site Supporter

Nicely put Ani.

I don't mind being able to watch a few game over the course of a weekend. 

That said, Tomski's post is essentially how I feel.

No issue in getting back to more interest in cups (proper ones) and keeping a promotion and relegation system.

Some sympathy for fans of these clubs though- not like they have a choice in any of this. If it goes ahead, then these fans must boycott games and the leagues must kick then out.

Cannot have best of both worlds.

9 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

That is all true, but as I said in my earlier post, you can't put the genie back in the bottle now. Or rather I'd be plesently surprised if it did. Of course these clubs are supposed to be for communities and have been built from that base, but - and here's the real question - a fan in Hong Kong matter less to a club that one in Salford to the actual people running the club? I'd say no. Global fanbases have dictated the larger clubs for a long time.

Should we stand with Liverpool and Utd fans who are fucked off about this decision, absolutely we should. Will it change anything? I'm just not sure it will in the long run.

Happy to stand with Utd and Liverpool fans, but I don’t want Munichs coming to watch us. Perhaps apart from seeing a regular, routine, ritualistic, beating.

6 hours ago, Zico said:

not if anyone who plays in the this super league gets banned from playing in FIFA tournaments whihc I think has been touted

still think with the timining it's some sort of bargaining chip to make sure they get the bulk of the revamped CL money, the format of which, funnily enough, is to be announced today

While I am totally opposed to this proposal It is actually better in its fixture arrangement than  the new UEFA proposal for the Champions' League!

As for bans from FIFA competitions, you might look up the Colombian El Dorado in the early 1950s. It didn't end well for those English players who got involved as a way to escape the maximum wage limits here. 

11 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Think our posts crossed so my reply was more about 'not giving a fuck' . 

I am sure there are umpteen business models that have been produced that show commercially this makes sense in terms of balance sheets and show some guy in HK has higher net value to the business than some bloke in Moss Side. I agree putting the genie back in the bottle is an unlikely option but the impact of this will be more for the few and less for the rest. 

5 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

While I am totally opposed to this proposal It is actually better in its fixture arrangement than  the new UEFA proposal for the Champions' League!

As for bans from FIFA competitions, you might look up the Colombian El Dorado in the early 1950s. It didn't end well for those English players who got involved as a way to escape the maximum wage limits here. 

Ah the old El Dorado scheme.

Didn't end well for the BBC either.

6 minutes ago, Ani said:

Think our posts crossed so my reply was more about 'not giving a fuck' . 

I am sure there are umpteen business models that have been produced that show commercially this makes sense in terms of balance sheets and show some guy in HK has higher net value to the business than some bloke in Moss Side. I agree putting the genie back in the bottle is an unlikely option but the impact of this will be more for the few and less for the rest. 

Absolutley it will - that's the model that football has been built on since the 90s. Soon as you floated clubs growth in financial terms is always the real aim. This will ensure more money for the already rich. The issue is squeezing an asset so hard it loses its innate value - that of being an actual bloody football club. They are just interchangable brands, pick you favourite colour, favourite player, manager whatever - it matters not one jot. Just paid the subscriptions, buy the merch, sign up to the alerts - be part of the brand experience. That's what these clubs want, and the access to it is for the highest bidder.

Its a road we've been on for a long time now, and I don't see it changing, sadly - even if this gets knocked on its head - its an opening salvo in a longer war about who controls the game and therefore the money. The clubs or the governing bodies. 

EDIT: Its certainly not the fans.

Edited by Not in Crawley

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, DirtySanchez said:

They're your old club, what do you think?

The Flixton contingent are surprisingly unarsed.

They seem to think playing Burnley every week is tedious but relish the prospect of trips to the cultural centres of Europe several times a year.

It's not all gnashing teeth, it seems.

1 minute ago, Spider said:

The Flixton contingent are surprisingly unarsed.

They seem to think playing Burnley every week is tedious but relish the prospect of trips to the cultural centres of Europe several times a year.

It's not all gnashing teeth, it seems.

That's the thing isn't it, the big clubs are so distant from the rest. Real have more in common with Utd than a club 10 miles down the road

51 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Happy to stand with Utd and Liverpool fans, but I don’t want Munichs coming to watch us. Perhaps apart from seeing a regular, routine, ritualistic, beating.

Surely they’ll create a 4th Man U and watch them. We don’t want them at ours