Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

European Super League


Spider
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Site Supporter

Looks like Bayern and Dortmund are joining up, along with Porto and PSG.

Porto. Snigger.

It's happening for sure.

I'm out, but tellingly, my 14 year old lad and all his mates seem very interested indeed.

Life moves on dunnit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

Looks like Bayern and Dortmund are joining up, along with Porto and PSG.

Porto. Snigger.

It's happening for sure.

I'm out, but tellingly, my 14 year old lad and all his mates seem very interested indeed.

Life moves on dunnit?

Porto had to join, as it is was the only club missing from Mourinho's CV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't get it. If there is no promotion, relegation or qualification to a european competition on merit, what's the point ? Once the novelty wears off why would anyone - even armchair fans - want to watch glorified exhibition matches ?

If the leagues & football authorities keep their nerve & totally exclude these "elite" wankers from any other competitions,their "elite" league will surely quickly become a meaningless sideshow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Spider said:

Talksport and Sky Sports News are wanking themselves silly today though. 

They can fill 24 hours with this for the next few months.

They've just been distracted by Jose being sacked. #Wanking frenzy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Porto had to join, as it is was the only club missing from Mourinho's CV

He's just about to add another to his list... #potted

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the German clubs are going to join then they might have to change their set up. 51% owned by fans and hard to see how they can go for it.

Best thing the new clubs could do is invite Rangers & Celtic. They would be desperate to join and the shit would really hit the fan. They are big enough and lets face it previous performance on pitch has nothing to do with this super league.

I think PSG with their owners would be others leaving French PM with egg on his face after his comments yesterday 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

If the German clubs are going to join then they might have to change their set up. 51% owned by fans and hard to see how they can go for it.

Best thing the new clubs could do is invite Rangers & Celtic. They would be desperate to join and the shit would really hit the fan. They are big enough and lets face it previous performance on pitch has nothing to do with this super league.

I think PSG with their owners would be others leaving French PM with egg on his face after his comments yesterday 

Macron with egg on his face?

There’s a first!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sky have created this monster. Pushing the "top 6" all the time....even when half of that group are not even top 6 in the league.

Pandering ot them as much as possible, contact coverage, prime TV slots etc, its created this monster and handed them that "power".

Although FIFA / UEFA are fuming....they are only so because it does not involve them.

But all domestic league need to stcik together and stand up to these clubs.

Who cares if the sky money reduces next season....clubs will have to change how we all operate, stuff the foreigners, play the kids.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Spider said:

Be interesting to hear the thoughts of the assorted managers.

These are, after all, their employers. 

 

Well, Spurs dealt with Mourinho swiftly after he refused to take training over it 

Edit: that reason is based on one source, awaydaysbible, on Instagram

Edited by Zico
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

I don't get it. If there is no promotion, relegation or qualification to a european competition on merit, what's the point ? Once the novelty wears off why would anyone - even armchair fans - want to watch glorified exhibition matches ?

If the leagues & football authorities keep their nerve & totally exclude these "elite" wankers from any other competitions,their "elite" league will surely quickly become a meaningless sideshow. 

See that's the perfect end point, it'll go on and on until there is only one team left, a global superteam that just roams the earth sucking up players, playing no one just selling merch and gathering global sponsorship. A mass blackholed vaccum of hyperbole where super sunday never ends and transfer deadline day is every monday until we all get dragged into its commercial mass and the world goes pop. Or something like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

In Blackburn, it still is 1994.

For 

 

1 minute ago, jmjhb said:

Dortmund and surprisingly Leipzig have said no apparently. Still time to get Salford City in there 

Not surprising given German club ownership.  To be honest i don't think Super League will be too fussed about them. ok they might like Bayern in but do they actually have millions of supporters in US, Far East, Africa etc like others? Premier League has highest profile hence at least 6 places plus your Real & Barca. Thats where your money is. Top Italian clubs are skint they need this as well 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

Amazon will be all over this.

They make Sky look like a local newspaper in comparison.

Bottom line, people will pay to watch the best footballers in the world. Always.

There can be no caterwauling from Murdoch & Co. simply because a bigger lad has walked onto the park and kicked them off it. They've driven the football juggernaut in this direction for 20 years, and aren't suddenly saints.

It's been heading this way for years and little by little this ESL will unveil its plans and we'll realise it's just the way things are going to be.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
2 hours ago, Max Cherry said:

This has been planned behind the scenes for long time and i bet lawyers for JP Morgan/owners of these clubs think they can take on UEFA/FIFA. The timing has everything to do with this UEFA meeting today. Its a war.

I think that is one that UEFA and FIFA will win 

They can say to those clubs and players they aren't playing in their competitions if they are setting up their own thing 

The big thing will be what happens to players with aspirations on the international stage 

Players like Kane are going to acheive nothing of note in their career if they go down this route

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyway, its the perfect end to this. Capitalism is based on constant expansion. Football in the 90s dirverted into a path where revenue and capital become the end goal - not winning - but just earning money. Winning stuff is a by-product now.

Constantly expansion needs, well - more growth, so we have things like an increased Champions League format wihich means more dull group games - but fuck it, they will generate more money.

People pay more to see the biggest clubs play each other, so do it more often, create a false competition to house it in and bingo - more money.

If we paused and went back to football clubs being part of towns, cities and communities rather than global entities then we wouldn't have this; but you can't put this genie back in the bottle. We've all drunk the koolaid, from even having our time in the PL sunshine and watching global players on our pitch. Fans want their clubs to have unrealistic expectations and so we all push for more.

Let them do it,  - I mean for a club like ours we might be 15 miles up the road but we might as well be on the moon in relation to Man City. Let them play Juventus every three weeks, I'll be getting more butterfiles and excitiment from us playing Harrogate, and that surely is what supporting a football team is really about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So they'll split the new league into 2 groups with play offs at the end to determine the champions, a bit like NFL.

What odds on the play-offs and final being in China or Qatar etc?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Traf said:

So they'll split the new league into 2 groups with play offs at the end to determine the champions, a bit like NFL.

What odds on the play-offs and final being in China or Qatar etc?

I mean eventually they could have 32 teams like the NFL

North, South, East, West conferences. 8 teams in each culminating in play offs and a SuperBowl with all the razzmatazz that goes with it.

Invitation only or - with a team the likes of Monaco who have  a small fan base - a franchise opportunity to bring a Super League club to your town/stadium.

It's the future, Gerry.

#GoTeam

 

Edited by Spider
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.