Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Never mind the politics here’s the talking bollocks thread

Rudy

1 hour ago, Zico said:

I always say the 90s were the time for the best bands and music, though most of my favourites turned up in the 00s 

Yeah yeah yeahs 

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club 

White Stripes 

Queens of the stone age 

Kings of leon (for a bit) 

And some good albums from the likes of Doves 

But the 00s also brought us shit like Razorlight and Pigeon Detectives 

I think the 90s win for indie, but the 00s for most rock genres, except funk metal

You've forgotten Nu-Metal though. Almost negates any progress in rock.

Personally guitar bands were overall a bit shit from mid 90s and the more innovative, creative and just sheer brilliant stuff was being done in dance and electronic music. Yeah yeah yeahs best album was a great dance album really. QoTSA started in Kyruss and were a (fanatastic) progression. I really struggle (Strokes aside) to think a band that appeared without a larger band backstory that amounted to very much.

Daft Punk changed so much for pop music (and I include metal, rock and indie in popular music overall) and that late 90s/early 2000s electronic music just left the stale guitar bands in their dust.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

You've forgotten Nu-Metal though. Almost negates any progress in rock.

Personally guitar bands were overall a bit shit from mid 90s and the more innovative, creative and just sheer brilliant stuff was being done in dance and electronic music. Yeah yeah yeahs best album was a great dance album really. QoTSA started in Kyruss and were a (fanatastic) progression. I really struggle (Strokes aside) to think a band that appeared without a larger band backstory that amounted to very much.

Daft Punk changed so much for pop music (and I include metal, rock and indie in popular music overall) and that late 90s/early 2000s electronic music just left the stale guitar bands in their dust.

I know there was a remix of Heads Will Roll but I wouldn't class anything the YYYs did as dance

looking at the ones i listed, for me it was garage/blues rock that came good in the 00s and beyond - or more it was what was on my radar, doubt many have heard much from the likes of Black Angels and Dead Weather - Jack White did good things and the Raconteurs too

basically, this sort of stuff was the best thing to come from the 00s onwards

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Personally think the YYYs were better at crossing it over so those not into guitar music liked it.

Good mix (not sure about White Stripes mind, but they never really did it for me)

I was on a real folky tip at that time, totally rejected anything loud for some reason.

You'll probably like this one then, in a similar vein to that last one 

• 4 months later...