Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sunderland (a)

L/H White

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Where does Delfonso fit into the set-up ?

Clearly not the obvious sub for Isgrove  on Saturday .Will he get a start on Tuesday? or do we see him being shipped out in January.Not sure what his goal scoring record is but is it worse than Katchungas?

Seems to be a player that has just drifted around after a great start to his career. 

Played much more last season but reckon Evatt just hasn't seen anything in him to make him a consideration. 

• Site Supporter

It's fair to say that most of our players are playing to their potential overall & giving it everything. With Fonz there is a better player in there than we've seen but he doesn't have the tenacity to push himself to his limit, he's happy to amble through his career when he has the ability to play higher up the leagues. 

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

It's fair to say that most of our players are playing to their potential overall & giving it everything. With Fonz there is a better player in there than we've seen but he doesn't have the tenacity to push himself to his limit, he's happy to amble through his career when he has the ability to play higher up the leagues. 

I can understand how this comes across to a fan, I don’t know whether it’s to do with his poise or him being a different looking player to what we have or him just being a bit older now.

Because the professional view seems to be very different. I’ve said before, my nieces fella is involved professionally within the game, working with him at Blackpool and he said there couldn’t have been a better role model for the young lads. Ultimate pro, looks after himself, there on time extra hours on the training pitch. All of which has been backed up by IE, so I think this ambling through his career is way of the mark.

• The topic was unpinned
  • Moderators

no doubt it's been said already

good at keeping the ball and getting it in the final 3rd, but shite at doing anything with it there, which after a good start, has been the case in 4 of the last 5 games

in order to keep a clean sheet, I'd say Lee needs  to come back in

in order to do that, Sheehan or Sarce needs to be dropped and we lose a goal threat - can't see that happening unless one gets injured/suspended

and then that leaves it up to Doyle, and he's struggling, and Kachunga isn't a replacement, so we're waiting on players to come back 

they get the benefit of the doubt and plenty of time and backing, but Sarce and Doyle look like L2 and not L1 for the most part, which is fine for this season

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Zico said:

no doubt it's been said already

good at keeping the ball and getting it in the final 3rd, but shite at doing anything with it there, which after a good start, has been the case in 4 of the last 5 games

in order to keep a clean sheet, I'd say Lee needs  to come back in

in order to do that, Sheehan or Sarce needs to be dropped and we lose a goal threat - can't see that happening unless one gets injured/suspended

and then that leaves it up to Doyle, and he's struggling, and Kachunga isn't a replacement, so we're waiting on players to come back 

they get the benefit of the doubt and plenty of time and backing, but Sarce and Doyle look like L2 and not L1 for the most part, which is fine for this season

I nearly got lynched for saying that on Saturday

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Thing is, although neither are perhaps at their peak, we're top half of the league.

Doesn't that suggest that they are OK for league one?

Maybe not the best, but decent enough for now.

Yes, decent enough for now. We'd need better to progress but Evatt knows that too. We just need to be patient, we'll slowly but surely improve over the next few windows. 

Much better than getting progressively worse which had been happening for far too long

• Moderators

Did I read in the Ben that Doyle had 14 attempts at goal?

Now, no doubt that will be another stick to beat him with. But it doesn't suggest we have any issues getting in the box...and his history says he won't draw many blanks on those numbers

To the three very good chances he missed on Saturday. I'm adding Johnstons that should've gone in

It's another Ipswich with a bit more luck

Stfu and enjoy the ride. 😉 

Fwiw, my lasting memory of Saturday was right near the end..

Possibly in injury time, when we played 4 or 5 first time passes in or around our own box to clear danger and they didn't know what the fuck was happening

8 hours ago, desperado said:

I can understand how this comes across to a fan, I don’t know whether it’s to do with his poise or him being a different looking player to what we have or him just being a bit older now.

Because the professional view seems to be very different. I’ve said before, my nieces fella is involved professionally within the game, working with him at Blackpool and he said there couldn’t have been a better role model for the young lads. Ultimate pro, looks after himself, there on time extra hours on the training pitch. All of which has been backed up by IE, so I think this ambling through his career is way of the mark.

Coincidentally I worked with the Dad of a young Blackpool player when Fonz was there and when we signed him they said they were sorry to see him go, said basically what you said.  And also that he was great in the community etc, a role model on and off the pitch.

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, desperado said:

I wasn't questioning him as a pro, more that I feel the only thing stopping him from playing at a higher level is he doesn't seem to use his ability to it's full potential. I may be being fooled by his general demeanour but I just wish he if had a bit more intensity about him.