Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Peterborough (H)

Marc505

I'd go......either Lee or Dempsey, but they're both too good to leave out if fit !!

Thomason or Morley, with Thomason 1st choice at the moment for doing more defensively, & Sheehan 3rd choice.

The problem is MJ, in that we don't have anyone else who can play his role currently......no problem in the "easier" home games but vital away & in the harder home games.

Can't see a position in midfield for Sadlier when everyone else is available & he's too weak defensively for a wing back.

3 hours ago, Army 11 said:

When will people realise when fit enough to compete Lee will be the first name on the team sheet. That’s all you need to get ya head around. Please don’t ever compare the worth of MJ over Lee. 

In my opinion Lee will be called on less than MJ, folk saying he’d be a premier league player without injuries, that’s absolute rubbish, check his stats over his career, 5 years at Oldham in league 1, scored 5 goals, 8 years at Sheffield wed in championship scored 20 goals, he’s not getting any younger and he ain’t getting any better, not knocking him he’s had a decent career but he’s not a regular starter or even a player who’ll play 90 minutes when he does start, yes there will be a time and place for him but let’s not get carried away about his ability.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

17 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

In my opinion Lee will be called on less than MJ, folk saying he’d be a premier league player without injuries, that’s absolute rubbish, check his stats over his career, 5 years at Oldham in league 1, scored 5 goals, 8 years at Sheffield wed in championship scored 20 goals, he’s not getting any younger and he ain’t getting any better, not knocking him he’s had a decent career but he’s not a regular starter or even a player who’ll play 90 minutes when he does start, yes there will be a time and place for him but let’s not get carried away about his ability.

I don't necessarily disagree but I think he played at full back at Oldham.

I'm not sure he's ever picked as a goalscorer either, more a midfield engine.

6 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I don't necessarily disagree but I think he played at full back at Oldham.

I'm not sure he's ever picked as a goalscorer either, more a midfield engine.

And that’s the problem for him virtually every midfielder we have in our first team squad has a better engine than him. He does add something creatively though that some of the others don’t do as well as he does and that’s when he can come in handy. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

And that’s the problem for him virtually every midfielder we have in our first team squad has a better engine than him. He does add something creatively though that some of the others don’t do as well as he does and that’s when he can come in handy. 

But they don’t have a better engine- you’re just ageist. 😁

Plymouth game, he was by far our best midfielder, tracking back etc. Yes, he missed a good chance but he was our best player on the day.

Evatt substitutes most of the midfield, except for MJ, nearly every game. 

Obviously he’s not Premier standard but he has got qualities that are rare at our level.

We are really blessed atm with midfield choices - Morley just dropped off slightly and he was out. But Lee is just so clever, silky smooth and gets into scoring areas that others don’t.

I think you’re jealous of him really. 😄

• Site Supporter

If anyone, I'd say MJ struggles the most in terms of energy. Certainly last season and I think that's why we're seeing Dempsey and Thomason in the side now. Bolsters that defensive side, whilst still giving a passing/goal scoring element from box to bix type players.

27 minutes ago, Steejay said:

But they don’t have a better engine- you’re just ageist. 😁

Plymouth game, he was by far our best midfielder, tracking back etc. Yes, he missed a good chance but he was our best player on the day.

Evatt substitutes most of the midfield, except for MJ, nearly every game. 

Obviously he’s not Premier standard but he has got qualities that are rare at our level.

We are really blessed atm with midfield choices - Morley just dropped off slightly and he was out. But Lee is just so clever, silky smooth and gets into scoring areas that others don’t.

I think you’re jealous of him really. 😄

Bit like you Lee not bad nick for the age 😀

35 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Aye, I think his engine's fine.

His game time begs to differ. It’s clear Evatt likes to use him more at home and changes it for away games, Lee played one 90 minutes in league games sort of backs up my viewpoint, but I’m just an ex kids footy cone putter outer. 🤣

Away Ipswich 70 minutes. Drew 

Away Plymouth 90 minutes Lost

Home Sheff Wed 0 minutes lost 

Home Morecambe 82 minutes Won 

Away Port vale 0 minutes Drew 

Away Wycombe Won 0 minutes 

Home Charlton Won 77  minutes 

Home Milton Keynes won 73 minutes 

Home Peterborough won 0 minutes 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

I'm not sure it'll prove anything either way about his engine, to be honest. Our midfielders will rotate because we now have that luxury. 

If we needed him to play ninety minutes in a given match, I don't think it'd be too much of a problem. He couldn't do it three times a week or probably every Saturday, but that's not because of a lack of aerobic fitness.

9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Bit daft using minutes purely as a marker.

Our strikers are frequently replaced, guess none of them have much of an engine. 

Here's me thinking it's all part of the policy of trying to win games.

The best players win you more games and will play more minutes as a general rule of thumb. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper