Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford H

W.cramp

• Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Anyone else feel like we are due to give an absolute thrashing?

Their team are on the ropes, missing multiple key players, sit near the bottom and even their manager is suspended from the sidelines.

No doubt the more realistic will happen, tight cagey game, antics from them, time wasting.

But just hoping we start the game in 6th gear and give a battering and let them chase us.

I feel like that every game we play. Someone is going to cop for 5 or 6 this season. Hopefully a few will

1 minute ago, Alf Hartigan said:

I'm waiting for a repeat of the Sunderland performance, know a fan of them who went to that game last season, he was utterly convinced we would be going up last season. Unfortunately, we've not come close to that performance since.

Aye this and ipswich away we was immense, every time we went forward looked liked scoring

No breaking into opposition half slowing down and playing back, be great to see that again 

Come on @Tonge moor green jacket you've probably got one of the widest ranges of vocabulary on the forum 😆

Honest question - when did you last refer to a person you know as it? Are you actually trying to argue that 'it' isn't used to offend? 

They were clearly acting the prick - so let's just call them out for that. 

Edited by London Wanderer

Anyway - we're gonna lose the thread and Radcliffe White will rightly be sad. 

I think we're due a big win. But it's Bolton and I'm not sure Evatt has quite moved on from his experiments. Burton was tough but the first 15 minutes were promising and if Dapo had put his chance away, I think we could have gone on to win by a bigger margin. 

Would like to see the 4, 3, 3 that folk have been talking about. Just hope he keeps Dapo in and that Bodvar starts. Don't deny that it's a headfuck for Evatt though. Bodvar and Bakayoko looked dangerous when we were playing a different style looking for goals late on. So it could be different starting against Oxford. 

I'm going 3 - 1 to the Whites. 
Dapo, Bodvar and Lee. 

26 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Are you actually trying to argue that 'it' isn't used to offend? 

Is a bloke in a frock and a wig inviting people to fight him not inviting offence ?

Plus, it's very likely that whilst you're offended on his behalf he won't be as it's extremely unlikely he's reading this forum.

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Come on @Tonge moor green jacket you've probably got one of the widest ranges of vocabulary on the forum 😆

Honest question - when did you last refer to a person you know as it? Are you actually trying to argue that 'it' isn't used to offend? 

They were clearly acting the prick - so let's just call them out for that. 

That's entirely down to the bloke who used it. 

It isn't unreasonable to use it if the same folk are preferring "they". Both are equally inaccurate.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Is a bloke in a frock and a wig inviting people to fight him not inviting offence ?

Plus, it's very likely that whilst you're offended on his behalf he won't be as it's extremely unlikely he's reading this forum.

Course they're inviting offence - bet they got a lot of it. Imagine if it was a 6ft tall Asian fella - would it be alreet to swap the word Tranny with P*** if they were acting like a dick? 

I'm not offended on anyone's behalf mate - they sound like a prick (as I said in the other part of my post that you ignored). 
I'm just curious as to when 'it' became an affectionate pronoun? Being curious about language doesn't mean you're offended; but I knew it wouldn't be long before someone jumped to that conclusion. 

But what's baffling me the most is why they were driving up and not travelling on the TransPennine Express? 

11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That's entirely down to the bloke who used it. 

It isn't unreasonable to use it if the same folk are preferring "they". Both are equally inaccurate.

"They" would indicate they are human.  "It" indicates not human.  Big difference.

If you're not offended then fine, but it seems odd that you're trying to justify it as ok.

It's all about us getting that early goal.  I thought we started really well on Tuesday and should've made more of our pressure.  Thing is though, for all our pressure I can only think of the Dapo shot that went wide.  Everything else was us getting to the edge of the box and then passing it out wide for a cross into an area that had too many bodies in it.  Just fucking shoot!

I think teams who drop deep and let us play in front of them nullify Charles' pace, and unfortunately his hold up play just isn't good enough, we rarely work openings in or around the D, we are always forced wide.

No coincidence his form has dropped as more teams play this way against us. If we do go 4 3 3 then really needs be Dadi or Baka as the focul point for me, but is a weak spot currently so hope we get someone in January, a Daryl Murphy type would be perfect!

1 hour ago, London Wanderer said:

Course they're inviting offence - bet they got a lot of it. Imagine if it was a 6ft tall Asian fella - would it be alreet to swap the word Tranny with P*** if they were acting like a dick? 

Of course one may say "Asian bloke" as it's descriptive. Pa*i would inevitably be viewed as an insult due to the way it's historically used.

Afghani, or Indian bloke would be fine in a normal context, as would 'Pakistani' for that matter.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Of course one may say "Asian bloke" as it's descriptive. Pa*i would inevitably be viewed as an insult due to the way it's historically used.

Afghani, or Indian bloke would be fine in a normal context, as would 'Pakistani' for that matter.

Frankly, if an Asian bloke is inciting violence and threatening folk, then him being called a Paki is tough shit.

A perverse argument being lobbied- don't call a criminal anything as you might hurt his feelings. Kinell.

2 0 win, Dion Charles needs a rest for me. I'd also prefer away fans down in the lower tier. I think having them up there doesn't trigger the CC and our noise level is lower. I see Blackburn started off this season with away fans up top and soon reverted back.

5 hours ago, marple whites said:

See Portsmouth fans saying Oxford were the worst team they had seen for a long time, wasting time and feigning injuries.

we need to score early for once.

Either that or go a goal behind in the 2nd half and score twice in the last 10 minutes.  Either will do!

3 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

Anyone else feel like we are due to give an absolute thrashing?

Their team are on the ropes, missing multiple key players, sit near the bottom and even their manager is suspended from the sidelines.

No doubt the more realistic will happen, tight cagey game, antics from them, time wasting.

But just hoping we start the game in 6th gear and give a battering and let them chase us.

In all honesty, no.  We don't have enough shots on target, not saying we can't score 3 in a game but that's good enough.  If we were taking pot shots and the keeper was tipping them over the bar I'd agree one of these days it will come right, but we go whole halves without troubling the keeper.  Any win will do.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, they have a great away record and even with 10 men for last 15 minutes they drew at Pompey.   2-1 to us will do nicely, same as last season.