Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

London Recommendation?

worthy10

Camden is a must visit.

Loved it on my last trip to the big smoke.

I always like a trip to the tate modern but then I like a bit of contemporary art, and it's not to everyones taste.

I'm going to Tate Modern tomorrow.......I've been to Liverpool Tate & the other Tate in London & hated both of them !! In London I was looking at a cup & saucer & genuinely didn't know if it was an exhibit or not.

But, I've been told that the Modern is worth a visit, if only to have a look at the building itself & that you can get quite high up (which i like doing )

I'm going to Tate Modern tomorrow.......I've been to Liverpool Tate & the other Tate in London & hated both of them !! In London I was looking at a cup & saucer & genuinely didn't know if it was an exhibit or not.

But, I've been told that the Modern is worth a visit, if only to have a look at the building itself & that you can get quite high up (which i like doing )

There's plenty of stuff that's 'not art' in the TM.

But the building is impressive and there's plenty of really good pieces too.

• Site Supporter

My basic understanding of Modern Art is : If you look at it and it makes you think something - even if you think it's fucking stupid or wonder if it's even an exhibit - it's art.

My basic understanding of Modern Art is : If you look at it and it makes you think something - even if you think it's fucking stupid or wonder if it's even an exhibit - it's art.

Pretty much.

Whether it's good art or not is a different thing entirely and is often highly subjective.

Often utter shite is liked by those who try and be 'individual' and like it just to appear different.

• Site Supporter

Pretty much.

Whether it's good art or not is a different thing entirely and is often highly subjective.

Often utter shite is liked by those who try and be 'individual' and like it just to appear different.

Which is why I sort of like the concept. It would be shit if we all liked (or pretended to like) the exact same things.

I can understand why Tracy Emin has made a fortune. Nobody can PROVE a tent full of used condoms and fag ends isn't art. It's an extreme example of personal taste, whether the people who buy it actually like it or not.

Edited by Cheese

Which is why I sort of like the concept. It would be shit if we all liked (or pretended to like) the exact same things.

I can understand why Tracy Emin has made a fortune. Nobody can PROVE a tent full of used condoms and fag ends isn't art. It's an extreme example of personal taste, whether the people who buy it actually like it or not.

Emin is utter shite but I did like her Liver bird mainly cos it pissed off the scousers

Depends when you are going but if it's before Xmas there is a fair bit on which would be worth a visit. This is just stuff I'd do/have done, it's just some thoughts. You can always Time Out this sort of stuff and there's other London based whites with probably more idea.

I think the virtues of Shoreditch and East London in general have been extolled elsewhere and there's loads of recommendations on that thread if you fancy a visit. Also some great late night drinking establishments if you don't want a club. Same with Brixton, the craft beer co is open until 1. I also love Camden but the High St seems a bit old fashioned now (!) now - although, a walk from there up to Camden lock and then Chalk Farm up to Primrose Hill is great.

This time of year, you've got Winter wonderland at Hyde Park from November, which can be tacky but it's worth a look in on a visit for your usual winter drinking and eating fare. If you are around pre Xmas there is the Sommerset House ice rink (I know sounds a bit lame but this isn't like a ones in German Markets - it's a pretty amazing setting with bars etc) then I'd walk down the strand down to Embankment and on Villers St there is the legendary Gordon's Wine Bar plus you can get some great cheese and charcuterie for relative peanuts as a lunch.

As mentioned Southbank - in winter it's great to go up the Oxo tower for a drink and see the view with London lit up. I'd pop into the Tate at the moment even if you don't like modern art because there is something in the Turbine Hall (Can't remember what it's called) but it's got great reviews, plus inflatable fish being blown around a massive space, that's got to be worth five minutes of anyone's time. There is also a festive market on the southbank from next month I think and a drink in the BFI bar is always nice.

Although if you want a bit of culture, there's been stuff going on all around London this year to celebrate the 40th anniversary of punk, and the Museum of London has just opened its huge Punk exhibition. Not been yet, but looks good. IWM is good and has a war and film exhibition on at the moment which I went to during the Somme memorial night and was interesting.

For food in the centre and if you are on your way to get the train back, pop over to Granary Square at King's Cross. Loads of nice places to eat and drink.

If, of course this is all round us visiting Millwall, get yourself to Borough Market - good food, good beer, easy to get to the ground from there and you can have a look at the bottom of the Shard if you are so inclined.

That's it off the top of me head - enjoy it!

Edited by Not in Crawley

Depends when you are going but if it's before Xmas there is a fair bit on which would be worth a visit. This is just stuff I'd do/have done, it's just some thoughts. You can always Time Out this sort of stuff and there's other London based whites with probably more idea.

I think the virtues of Shoreditch and East London in general have been extolled elsewhere and there's loads of recommendations on that thread if you fancy a visit. Also some great late night drinking establishments if you don't want a club. Same with Brixton, the craft beer co is open until 1. I also love Camden but the High St seems a bit old fashioned now (!) now - although, a walk from there up to Camden lock and then Chalk Farm up to Primrose Hill is great.

This time of year, you've got Winter wonderland at Hyde Park from November, which can be tacky but it's worth a look in on a visit for your usual winter drinking and eating fare. If you are around pre Xmas there is the Sommerset House ice rink (I know sounds a bit lame but this isn't like a ones in German Markets - it's a pretty amazing setting with bars etc) then I'd walk down the strand down to Embankment and on Villers St there is the legendary Gordon's Wine Bar plus you can get some great cheese and charcuterie for relative peanuts as a lunch.

As mentioned Southbank - in winter it's great to go up the Oxo tower for a drink and see the view with London lit up. I'd pop into the Tate at the moment even if you don't like modern art because there is something in the Turbine Hall (Can't remember what it's called) but it's got great reviews, plus inflatable fish being blown around a massive space, that's got to be worth five minutes of anyone's time. There is also a festive market on the southbank from next month I think and a drink in the BFI bar is always nice.

Although if you want a bit of culture, there's been stuff going on all around London this year to celebrate the 40th anniversary of punk, and the Museum of London has just opened its huge Punk exhibition. Not been yet, but looks good. IWM is good and has a war and film exhibition on at the moment which I went to during the Somme memorial night and was interesting.

For food in the centre and if you are on your way to get the train back, pop over to Granary Square at King's Cross. Loads of nice places to eat and drink.

If, of course this is all round us visiting Millwall, get yourself to Borough Market - good food, good beer, easy to get to the ground from there and you can have a look at the bottom of the Shard if you are so inclined.

If you want some good views of London without paying to go up the shard you can book in at the Walkie Talkie to go to their Sky Garden for a drink or food. You can book 3 weeks in advance to get your free tickets - book early though or you won't get in. https://skygarden.london/about

Also, if you fancy clearing your head after a night out I'd walk up the O2.

gordons wine bar is superb, we wwere all on the port in there out of big wooden casks, it got a bit messy

Yeah - it can if you're not careful. There is a lot of young rah rahs from PWC as well of an evening which can spoil it a bit.

You have to time it right to get a table, though I've never been turned down when I've asked to share at a table where they look like they might leave soon.