Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

28 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Page 72 of the Tory manifesto.

We are clear about what we want from Europe� We say: yes to the Single Market� Yes to turbo- charging free trade� Yes to working together where we are stronger together than alone� Yes to a family of nation states, all part of a European Union – but whose interests, crucially, are guaranteed whether inside the Euro or out� No to ‘ever closer union.’ No to a constant flow of power to Brussels� No to unnecessary interference� And no, of course, to the Euro, to participation in Eurozone bail-outs or notions like a European Army�

And yet you ignore the following paragraph:

It will be a fundamental principle of a future Conservative Government that membership of the European Union depends on the consent of the British people – and in recent years that consent has worn wafer-thin. That’s why, after the election, we will negotiate a new settlement for Britain in Europe, and then ask the British people whether they want to stay in the EU on this reformed basis or leave. David Cameron has committed that he will only lead a government that offers an in-out referendum. We will hold that in-out referendum before the end of 2017 and respect the outcome.

So the tory 2015 manefesto actually indicates that they will go with the public vote, and that they would prefer a remain.

So not a vote for remain at all then.

12 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

So the tory 2015 manefesto actually indicates that they will go with the public vote, and that they would prefer a remain.

No. The manifesto clearly wanted to remain. You weren’t voting for a referendum from a party who at the time wanted to take us out. They wanted to keep us in. As I’ve clearly demonstrated. Both major parties wanted to stay in in 2015. That is a fact. And now you are trying to use weasel words to pretend that wasn’t the case. I did in fact acknowledge they were offering a referendum. But their base view was remain. As I’ve outlined. 

1 minute ago, bwfcfan5 said:

No. The manifesto clearly wanted to remain. You weren’t voting for a referendum from a party who at the time wanted to take us out. They wanted to keep us in. As I’ve clearly demonstrated. Both major parties wanted to stay in in 2015. That is a fact. And now you are trying to use weasel words to pretend that wasn’t the case. I did in fact acknowledge they were offering a referendum. But their base view was remain. As I’ve outlined. 

The Labour 2015 manefesto was committed to remain. The 2017 was to commit to uphold the referendum result.

In 2015, the Tory view was to remain.

In 2015 the tories commitment was to hold a referendum, and respect the result.

As a trained negotiator (no, really), I'm amazed you fail to see the difference between committing to something, and desiring something.

Oh, Well.

19 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

The Labour 2015 manefesto was committed to remain. The 2017 was to commit to uphold the referendum result.

In 2015, the Tory view was to remain.

In 2015 the tories commitment was to hold a referendum, and respect the result.

As a trained negotiator (no, really), I'm amazed you fail to see the difference between committing to something, and desiring something.

Oh, Well.

Who is a trained negotiator?

1 hour ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Disagree. As none of us knew the referendum result in 2015 a vote for all parties in the 2015 GE was for remain and in addition, in the Tories case, a vote for the chance to have the referendum (which was strictly speaking advisory). 

Vjpsr0BS_normal.jpg

· 5h
In creating the #euro, we turned an improbable aspiration into a daily reality for millions of Europeans. The banknotes in our pockets are worth far more than the numbers written on them. They are the tangible symbol of a united Europe. #ECBForum (link: https://europa.eu/!vy88RW) europa.eu/!vy88RW

21 minutes ago, darwen_white said:

Excellent news.

Another one in the face for believers in the 'rise of the centre ground'.

Yeh you've got to fear those centre ground fanatics delivering more money in the pocket of low earners. Nasty lot.