Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Flour Cakes or Barms in Bolton

embankment

2 hours ago, Dimron said:

In my travels, have only known them to be called flour cakes in Bolton but Boltoners have always been different. Being born and bred Bolton and raised there in the 1960s & 70s they were always flour cakes. It's probably an age thing, I accept that these differences have now been eroded, I still say Buz rather than Bus and refer to folk as "me old cock-sparrer" to my Cambridge born wife's amusement.

What I do hate are those bread rolls with a hard brown crust that take the skin off the roof of your mouth, they sell them in London sandwich shops often with vile liver sausage filling... and when I first went in a chippy down there I didn't know what the fk a saveloy was, having tried one you can stick it, it's got an ideal shape for an arse.

My kids lovely saveloys, have to say they are rather good.

57 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

From a value point of view should you not always get a bag of chips and a barm and not just a chip barm?

Surely youri or someone has done research into this?

At Sue's Chippy the barm is incorporated into the costings.

There are less chips than with a small portion but one has a barm, and vice-versa.

I used to have a fish across two barms to stretch it out a bit.

That always seemed more substantial.

My scrubber go-to is a scallop and a fishcake (a proper battered one made with her trimmings) together on a barmcake.

I so frequently have no cash money these days but I can somehow manage to scrape the £1.30 together for one.

She'll probably up the price now.

19 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Probably invented there.

Tight fuckers won't chuck owt out...

I suspect they're made with unsold chips and fish trimmings .

I couldn't care less though, they're good for 80p or whatever, especially with scallop on a barm.

I think small chips is the same price.

We get scallops up here but badged as fritters. But you get about 8 in a portion. Far too much to eat although I’ve tried it. It felt a wee bit sick. Although it could be the two barms I had with them that tipped me Over the edge 

1 hour ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Probably invented there.

Tight fuckers won't chuck owt out...

I suspect they're made with unsold chips and fish trimmings .

I couldn't care less though, they're good for 80p or whatever, especially with scallop on a barm.

I think small chips is the same price.

Yeah fish trimmings then 2 slabs of potato about 1cm thick top and bottom. Dipped in batter. Can't go wrong... especially for 80p.

• Members
47 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

We get scallops up here but badged as fritters. But you get about 8 in a portion. Far too much to eat although I’ve tried it. It felt a wee bit sick. Although it could be the two barms I had with them that tipped me Over the edge 

My Owd fella introduced me to them when my mam was in hospital after giving birth to my brother, my dad unable to cook to save his life said let’s get a scallop barn, it’s like a big chip, I loved it. 
I went to a fish and chip restaurant in London asked for a scallop barm she looked really confused , it came and it looked like someone had thrown up on a barm as they had given me a scallop the shellfish version.

Im annoyed that it’s got the same name, your lot up there have got it right 

They always have Warbies ones in the 'eat within the next five minutes' basket at Lidl for 20p.

Dunno why they date them so, they're so rammed with carbonates they'd probably keep for a year.

I bet they only stock them because some old duffer wrote in to request them or withdraw their custom.

I've noticed brand creep in Aldi and Lidl both, if folk want brands piss off to Tesco.

21 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Probably going a bit off subject here but was talking about food today at work and told girls that I've never had a potato cake. They think I'm a weirdo now. 

Tattie scones are a thing of beauty. Eat them most months with a full breakfast. I would’ve thought most folk would have eaten them.

Edited by Escobarp

You always have to ruin it with some southern puff's poncifications (NiC).

Potato cakes are for best butter (not the regular kind) and a bit of salt and pepper.

Your way would necessitate cutlery and is not on.

What next? Black pudding and scallops?

Edited by Youri McAnespie

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

My Owd fella introduced me to them when my mam was in hospital after giving birth to my brother, my dad unable to cook to save his life said let’s get a scallop barn, it’s like a big chip, I loved it. 
I went to a fish and chip restaurant in London asked for a scallop barm she looked really confused , it came and it looked like someone had thrown up on a barm as they had given me a scallop the shellfish version.

Im annoyed that it’s got the same name, your lot up there have got it right 

Yeah I’ve never understood where the name came from to describe them as a scallop. We used to get a scallop barm as a treat From the chippy on church street in LL (no longer there) on the way home from karate at the school on a Friday night. Always loved them. Giant chip with batter. What’s not to love about that!

2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

You always have to ruin it with some southern puff's poncifications (NiC).

Potato cakes are for best butter (not the regular kind) and a bit of salt and pepper.

Your way would necessitate cutlery and is not on.

What next? Black pudding and scallops?

That's a northern tea, used to have that as a kid all the time.

Mind you, last time I do then, they were from M&S and they called them Irish Farls?

2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I took some Warbies crumpets and Eccles Cakes as a taste of Lancashire to some Spaniards once.

Even with my instructions I bet they did them wrong.

Cheese on crumpets is permissible btw.

Beans and cheese with crumpets are also lovely (with chilli flakes liberally sprinkled over the top)

Edited by Not in Crawley

2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Beans and cheese with crumpets are also lovely (with chilli flakes liberally sprinkled over the top)

I admit to putting Encona Hot Sauce on crumpets, but then again I was putting it on pretty much everything bar cereal at one point.

I rarely open a tin of beans as it means committing to eating a whole tin.

Don't like them that much.

One other thing...

Hash browns on a 'full English'.

Fuck off with your cheap American fillers (not you).

It's a travesty, and they're often there at the expense of a traditional ingredient, such as mushrooms, plum tomato, grilled tomato or fried bread.

I expect Welsh rarebit is banned nowadays? I'm struggling to think of, pound for pound, owt more cholesterol and calorie laden.

18 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Tattie scones are a thing of beauty. Eat them most months with a full breakfast. I would’ve thought most folk would have eaten them.

Square sausage, tattie scones and eggs. Oh how I long to be back working north of the border!!!

Edit: proper Scottish tattie scones are a million miles different to the Warbies dry shite that you could resole your shoe with

Edited by MancWanderer

7 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I admit to putting Encona Hot Sauce on crumpets, but then again I was putting it on pretty much everything bar cereal at one point.

I rarely open a tin of beans as it means committing to eating a whole tin.

Don't like them that much.

One other thing...

Hash browns on a 'full English'.

Fuck off with your cheap American fillers (not you).

It's a travesty, and they're often there at the expense of a traditional ingredient, such as mushrooms, plum tomato, grilled tomato or fried bread.

I expect Welsh rarebit is banned nowadays? I'm struggling to think of, pound for pound, owt more cholesterol and calorie laden.

They do a 300g tin now which is perfect for those of us that want to eat more than half but less than a full size normal tin.

5 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Square sausage, tattie scones and eggs. Oh how I long to be back working north of the border!!!

Edit: proper Scottish tattie scones are a million miles different to the Warbies dry shite that you could resole your shoe with

Deep fried tattie scones when you are in a greasy spoon or hotel doing breakfast are a thing of utter delight 

• Members
28 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Yeah I’ve never understood where the name came from to describe them as a scallop. We used to get a scallop barm as a treat From the chippy on church street in LL (no longer there) on the way home from karate at the school on a Friday night. Always loved them. Giant chip with batter. What’s not to love about that!

Wilfs?