Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Peterborough (H)

captainmed

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I thought it was the other way round and he’d signed as a centre back but we ended up sticking him at LWB?

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/20125273.bolton-wanderers-sign-cambridge-uniteds-jack-iredale-three-year-deal/

Maybe a bit of both 

Ian Evatt is looking forward to seeing Iredale compete with Declan John for a place on the left - or potentially pit himself against young player of the year George Johnston as a wide centre back.

11 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

My personal opinion that some of his signings have been poor and made no difference so far, expectations are of automatic promotion I can’t see any improvement as yet

Totally fine with that Radcliffe - although I think that the chat about automatic promotion is just hype, unnecessary and premature. If anything it's a burden.

I think some bookies and media idiots were touting that idea about before the window was closed and before a ball was kicked.

It was always going to be difficult to improve the team when we're replacing Premiership loanees, two of whom were central to the team last season TBH. I guess the "improvement" - if it can be called that - is that we now have a squad of our own players.

I think it's clear now that Vic and Dion shouldn't be playing together and made more apparent by JDB's impact yesterday. As others have said they are too similar, both can't hold the ball up and bring others into play meaning we generally lose possession. The times they do get in front of their man when its played up to them they generally either turn into trouble, do too much and rarely play it simple.

If I remember rightly yesterday Vic had a chance to get a shot off nearing half time on the edge of their box, chose not to (something you could level at many of our players) and lost possession. Seconds later the ball is down our right and Jones made that 'tackle'  and gets sent off. The worst that could have happened taking the shot on was a goal kick running the clock down.

Think it's got to be Dion with another preferably JDB from now on.

BTW Dempsey doesn't look fit enough to play at the moment clearly carrying that back injury.

2 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Totally fine with that Radcliffe - although I think that the chat about automatic promotion is just hype, unnecessary and premature. If anything it's a burden.

I think some bookies and media idiots were touting that idea about before the window was closed and before a ball was kicked.

It was always going to be difficult to improve the team when we're replacing Premiership loanees, two of whom were central to the team last season TBH. I guess the "improvement" - if it can be called that - is that we now have a squad of our own players.

Promotion was mentioned by the owners they obviously have a clear target possibly unneeded pressure yes

filling the gaps of traf & Bradley was always going to be hard though I must say I’m impressed with cogley

20 minutes ago, tomski said:

I can understand the consensus to defend the team and manager but are you suggesting players and manager should be bullet proof as we don’t know the budget? 

Not exactly  - but without knowing the budget and without knowing what players were realistically available to us we can't know whether the signings we ended up with are the best we could possibly have got i.e. we don't know if Markham/Evatt did well or badly in the circumstances they were faced with.

PS: I have no problem criticising the players for a bad performance or indiscipline or criticising the manager for tactical ineptitude - but there are too many variables in the transfer market to comment.

Edited by Wanderlust

5 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Not exactly  - but without knowing the budget and without knowing what players were realistically available to us we can't know whether the signings we ended up with are the best we could possibly have got i.e. we don't know if Markham/Evatt did well or badly in the circumstances they were faced with.

That’s fair enough and applicable to all clubs I suppose.

my concern is/was 18 months ago it was Evatts biggest strong point (keeper aside) all signings seemed astute. Since then I think it’s fair to question most of them to be honest. Really rate Cogley. Others I think time will tell. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Very true, though they ought to be able to assess whether those players are actually going to improve us.

I don't mind Vic, although he is a bit hit and miss.

Other strikers meh.

Wouldn't mind seeing one or two of the youngsters at least making the bench- this is an area that as yet the coaching team haven't had any success with, and with so many injuries and "off form" players then it may buck a few up.

1 minute ago, tomski said:

That’s fair enough and applicable to all clubs I suppose.

my concern is/was 18 months ago it was Evatts biggest strong point (keeper aside) all signings seemed astute. Since then I think it’s fair to question most of them to be honest. Really rate Cogley. Others I think time will tell. 

Agreed. That said, in backfilling the squad to get the numbers up instead of using loanees is likely to bring in players of a similar standard - whereas upgrade in quality = upgrade in price so there's little choice but to gamble - and Cogley seems to be a gamble that's paying off so far.

1 hour ago, Walkden White said:

I think it's clear now that Vic and Dion shouldn't be playing together and made more apparent by JDB's impact yesterday. As others have said they are too similar, both can't hold the ball up and bring others into play meaning we generally lose possession. The times they do get in front of their man when its played up to them they generally either turn into trouble, do too much and rarely play it simple.

If I remember rightly yesterday Vic had a chance to get a shot off nearing half time on the edge of their box, chose not to (something you could level at many of our players) and lost possession. Seconds later the ball is down our right and Jones made that 'tackle'  and gets sent off. The worst that could have happened taking the shot on was a goal kick running the clock down.

Think it's got to be Dion with another preferably JDB from now on.

BTW Dempsey doesn't look fit enough to play at the moment clearly carrying that back injury.

I’d like to see 4-3-3 with bod, Dion and Victor front 3… i know Evatt prefers 3-5-2 but id like to see us at times switch formations. 

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Sometimes wonder if he would be better wide in an attacking role.

Ie in a 442 in front of a left back, or in a 4-5-1

It can be disguised in formations, tactics but it boils down to having players of the right quality, and he's lacking in so many aspects we simply need better if we're looking at top 6.  It was clear he was limited after about 10 minutes of his debut,  not that I'd make a snap judgement 😀