Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v Blackpool


gonzo

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, captainmed said:

I’d take 4 points from the next two games.

Still over 2 games a game at 5PM Sat and I’ll be happy. 

This is the key. Yeah, you want to beat 'local-ish' rivals, yeah you want to wion those games where there's a big turnout, but you don't get more points for beating Wigan or Blackpool than you do for grinding a win out at Tinpot FC.

The aim is simple : enough points to go up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
3 hours ago, captainmed said:

I’d take 4 points from the next two games.

Still over 2 games a game at 5PM Sat and I’ll be happy. 

 

1 minute ago, Traf said:

This is the key. Yeah, you want to beat 'local-ish' rivals, yeah you want to wion those games where there's a big turnout, but you don't get more points for beating Wigan or Blackpool than you do for grinding a win out at Tinpot FC.

The aim is simple : enough points to go up.

This ⬆️ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
17 minutes ago, Traf said:

This is the key. Yeah, you want to beat 'local-ish' rivals, yeah you want to wion those games where there's a big turnout, but you don't get more points for beating Wigan or Blackpool than you do for grinding a win out at Tinpot FC.

The aim is simple : enough points to go up.

aye, im sure we have lost 3 must wins so far!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have to go into every game, whether is Northampton at home or Pompey away with the belief and desire to win.

I know it's a cliche, but we are aiming for the top 2 this season and around 90+ points, we have to be ruthless.

Blackpool are obviously dangerous, but we're a better team than them and we need to believe it.

Just as importantly we have to also match their fight, local derby, big crowd. I completely agree with somebody comment about showing the players the horrific Wigan game, hopefully we've learnt! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
19 minutes ago, tomski said:

Does feel like we are getting the excuses in a bit, though I agree with Trafs point whole heartedly. 

i know theres plenty water between you and I regarding evatt, but there is a certain type of supporter who loves a fucking crisis

and part of that is bigging every game up to be pivotal

so they can jump in and have a meltdown when something goes to shit

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blackpool are play off contenders so if we have aspirations of promotion I'd think of the game as a "six pointer" if only to put some breathing space between us and the teams behind us, let alone to keep pace with those ahead. Sure all games are worth the same, but playing top ten teams is about proving that we're good enough.

Tough opposition but we have to be better than them if we are serious about promotion IMO.

F*** the excuses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Casino said:

i know theres plenty water between you and I regarding evatt, but there is a certain type of supporter who loves a fucking crisis

and part of that is bigging every game up to be pivotal

so they can jump in and have a meltdown when something goes to shit

 

Completely agree. I’d snap your hand off at Losing every derby and going up. Just think at home to a Lower opposition we should treat as a game to win.

That said if we take 4 points this week and 3 come from Shrewsbury then form is good.

In regards to IE I do think he’s a bit of a Wally but if he gets us up he will be upgraded to a loveable Wally who you like in small doses😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

Blackpool are play off contenders so if we have aspirations of promotion I'd think of the game as a "six pointer" if only to put some breathing space between us and the teams behind us, let alone to keep pace with those ahead. Sure all games are worth the same, but playing top ten teams is about proving that we're good enough.

Tough opposition but we have to be better than them if we are serious about promotion IMO.

F*** the excuses.

We can lose and still be better than them and still get promotion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aside from the end game - promotion - matches like this provide memories.  And I'd just like it to be a good memory of a local derby for a change.  Thinking of previous derby wins whether its v Blackburn, Man U or....I'm struggling to think of any others, still brings a warm glow and I've no idea what impact they had on the rest of those seasons, they were just great days to be enjoyed in their own right.  No doubt they inspired some previously uncommitted young fans to support us.  Not saying Blackpool would be as big a win as those 2, but it would be nice to have a new memory of a biggish league win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Traf said:

This is the key. Yeah, you want to beat 'local-ish' rivals, yeah you want to wion those games where there's a big turnout, but you don't get more points for beating Wigan or Blackpool than you do for grinding a win out at Tinpot FC.

The aim is simple : enough points to go up.

Why mention the same team twice? 🙅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

We could lose the same amount as last year and get automatic promotion, this years standard is poor 

one thing that coud be relevant is we dont seem to draw many - i predict 3 draws  in a row incoming

for all pompey are unbeaten, 2 wins is better than 5 draws

another thing is folk chucking stats around about how many we have conceded - same folk who moaned we didnt score enough last season and needed to commit more forward

we may as well lose 4 and 3 as 2 x 1's (I dont see GD playing a part)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Aye.

Whilst no single result is vital, we still need plenty of victories to get promotion. Beating a local rival en route would provide memories and another 3 points towards that goal.

Got to keep good results and performances going. 

Aye 

And the three points would give us a 'buffer' should we slip up to the likes of Carlisle and Reading as we already have done 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Casino said:

one thing that coud be relevant is we dont seem to draw many - i predict 3 draws  in a row incoming

for all pompey are unbeaten, 2 wins is better than 5 draws

another thing is folk chucking stats around about how many we have conceded - same folk who moaned we didnt score enough last season and needed to commit more forward

we may as well lose 4 and 3 as 2 x 1's (I dont see GD playing a part)

Think it was 12 draws last time so yep 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Casino said:

one thing that coud be relevant is we dont seem to draw many - i predict 3 draws  in a row incoming

for all pompey are unbeaten, 2 wins is better than 5 draws

another thing is folk chucking stats around about how many we have conceded - same folk who moaned we didnt score enough last season and needed to commit more forward

we may as well lose 4 and 3 as 2 x 1's (I dont see GD playing a part)

The conversation was just about if we were looking more secure at the back from set pieces, it wasn't a moan, just harmless chat, I'm happy with us winning 3-2 every week or for that matter watching an entertaining 2-2 draw etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
53 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The conversation was just about if we were looking more secure at the back from set pieces, it wasn't a moan, just harmless chat, I'm happy with us winning 3-2 every week or for that matter watching an entertaining 2-2 draw etc.

Not necessarily you

Its a similar story with folk wanting us to 'start fast' last season

We start fast and now its we need to keep it up for 90 minuted

And yes, we do. But we need to find a middle ground...a pace we can turn on and off and rest too, for 90 mins

That will come with experience, fitness and better players, I expect

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those saying "it's just another three points" .. of course.

But derby matches have a different significance aside from the season as a whole and become a part of a history of what are higher profile fixtures for any club. Always has been this way, always will be. 

Would we take promotion but losses in the derbies? Yes. Would we much rather have both. Definitely! And if you check out our automatic promotion seasons the two have largely gone hand in hand. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Them bringing 4k and it being a local match a side, of course this is a big match.

It could be pivotal come May. These will be up there punching for certain.

Last season faltered by not beating those above and around us.

And lets not forget these cunts will be bang up for it and so will their 4k fans.

Remember what happened last time e underestimated an occasion.

Its a huge game and massive change to put a proper marker down.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

For those saying "it's just another three points" .. of course.

But derby matches have a different significance aside from the season as a whole and become a part of a history of what are higher profile fixtures for any club. Always has been this way, always will be. 

Would we take promotion but losses in the derbies? Yes. Would we much rather have both. Definitely! And if you check out our automatic promotion seasons the two have largely gone hand in hand. 

This.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We clearly have a talented team but to become a very good team at this level we need to pick up results against the better sides. Beating Blackpool would be a great start.

6 points from next 2 would start to see gaps opening up below us. 
 

4 would be fine 

3 ok 

any less disappointing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.