Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Northampton Town (A)

BeeversLeftPeg

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Yeah, get used to it. His timing is worse than a second hand Rolex.

He's been playing well and doing ok for bookings recently (for him), then every so often his head falls off and he does something daft.

4 minutes ago, Under_Score said:

The persistence with Victor is getting to the point of madness. He doesn’t win headers, he can’t hold it up and he doesn’t make the run when required. IE is clearly just hoping it works at some point with him to justify his price tag. 

Charles is struggling and has been since Portsmouth, he needs taking out the starting 11 for a couple of weeks, bring him on later in the game and hopefully score a couple with his energy to give him his confidence back.

We have brought in Collins and hopefully we see him start on Tuesday. Bringing on Jerome ahead of JDB today is mind boggling. 

Agreed. Vic starting has been crazy for a while but especially so now we have Collins. 

And Charles definitely needs a break, play Bod. Evatt is losing the plot playing Jerome. Let him do his coaching badges.

I'm still an Evatt fan overall but he is testing my patience with these plain stupid decisions 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Im by no means Bods biggest fan, but there must be something going on with him.

You cant be bringing Jerome on over him there surely.

Yeah, I’m thinking of the Declan John situation. IE knows best .

27 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’ve thought this for a few games. He’s managing an injury isn’t he and I think it’s showing that he’s not at 100%.

I’m not criticising, he’s being a team player when we really need him despite it possibly being detrimental to him personally, but I don’t think he’s been at his best for a month or two now and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him rested for a few games once we have Santos and Forrester back.

I'm glad he had the energy for that shot though!  Have we had a better shot all season, maybe 25 yards heading for top corner?  Without that, we don't get the corner that led to the goal.

And I thought he was an absolute warrior v Barnsley, not saying he was perfect, but the last thing he looked was tired apart from by the end having put so much into challenging for every ball that came his way.

Everyone sit in first half.

Legohead is an idiot.

Great battling second half, getting the ball forward quickly can work as an option. 

Good journey home, back in Leeds with a curry by 8. 

Radical but maybe 4 at the back is also an option. 

Edited by Ani

3 minutes ago, Ani said:

Everyone sit in first half.

Legohead is an idiot.

Great battling second half, getting the ball forward quickly can work as an option. 

Good journey home, back in Leeds with a curry by 8. 

Radical but maybe 4 at the back is also an option. 

I would cream my pants at a 4 at the back

Most good teams play a back 4, and generally a 4231/433 seems the best formation overall. And actually think we have the personnel for it now.

Chances of it happening are zero though

• Site Supporter
Just now, Stig said:

Most good teams play a back 4, and generally a 4231/433 seems the best formation overall. And actually think we have the personnel for it now.

You'd wet your pants and stamp your feet as soon as we condeded a goal.

44 minutes ago, Stig said:

He's got the best squad in the league. If he doesn't get promotion he's failed.

I can accept off days, but our team seems to have such dips in performance it's unreal. I can't remember seasons like this where we're one of the best teams, but get battered every now and then, or completely fail to turn up.

My view is they're mentally weak, and Evatt is too, and we're lucky the league is so weak this season

Bob on, I'm surprised Wellen's comments the other week that he would piss the league with our squad didn't gather much interest??? because that is a real dig at Evatt

6 minutes ago, Cheese said:

You'd wet your pants and stamp your feet as soon as we condeded a goal.

Probably not. I concede 4 at the back leaves you slight more likely to concede goals but it's generally a better formation overall so you'll dominate more of the pitch than with 5 at the back

• Members

Northampton yoof after the match stood on that grass hill

Must have been eleven or twelve years old, Burberry scarf and stone island giving a bit 

Police walk over, ask them what they doing and the reply waiting for mum to pick them up 

Police say from as grass hill?

They soon fucked off 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Stig said:

Probably not. I concede 4 at the back leaves you slight more likely to concede goals but it's generally a better formation overall so you'll dominate more of the pitch than with 5 at the back

Evatt clearly has no idea what he's doing. You should send a letter to Sharon explaing to her that he's doing it all wrong.

13 minutes ago, Stig said:

Mendes Gomes looked excellent when he came on today but he played in his actual position of winger. I fear that maybe today is the last time he gets to play in that position when we revert back to our standard back 5 for the remainder of the season. 

Jones looked excellent aswell 2nd half at right back and was an attacking presence and defended well.

Playing 4 at the back is the way forward with this current squad of players, just a shame IE’s stubbornness will mean we rarely get to see it. 

1 hour ago, Stig said:

Not read any post game analyses from anyone else, will catch up, but.... In summary that was terrible

Whole team doesn't seem on it some games, and that's squarely Evatt's fault. 

The team selection was dire - Vic starting when he has been dire for a while and we've got better options. 

I'm Tomo's biggest fan, but that tackle today was stupid. 

And then second half Evatt gets the best squad in the league to salvage a draw at Northampton (who are abysmal)

While day was substandard. Evatt not coaching well, and players not playing well. Many more of these days and it'll be days at Wrexham next season. Evatt needs to sort it, rather than moaning about the fans

So,  evatt out then ?

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Anyone who advocates Jerome over Bod eats crayons.

vic over Bod is mental. 

Crayola muncher just checking back in to Leigh now. Carlisle didn’t have a clue how to deal with Jerome and Northampton today weren’t too sure either. They don’t know what he’s doing next - admittedly, ours don’t either - but he’s always a keen outlet and the ball sticks when it goes up to him. The up and down form of pretty much all of our forward bar Collins (so far) is basically indicative of our entire League One residency. 

I wondered when the 4 at the back shout would come again. 

Imagine we did do it. Who sits in front, breaking up play and distributing, i.e. our Rodri, our Rice, our Guimaraes, our Hojberg? I think that's where we'd fall down as none of our current CMs are that kind of player.

And christ, imagine how exposed Rico would be without two other CBs. I love the bloke but he surely isn't good enough to be one of two.

Its a non-starter, for this season at least.

11 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Evatt clearly has no idea what he's doing. You should send a letter to Sharon explaing to her that he's doing it all wrong.

What? I've simply stayed my view that one formation is stronger than another at football, and that most of the top teams play said formation.... 

And that's why I've posted it on a football forum for debate, wondering if someone will argue that 5 at the back is a better formation. What are your thoughts?

Just now, Stig said:

What? I've simply stayed my view that one formation is stronger than another at football, and that most of the top teams play said formation.... 

And that's why I've posted it on a football forum for debate, wondering if someone will argue that 5 at the back is a better formation. What are your thoughts?

I think the idea that we play 5 at the back is a bit of misnomer tbf as we’re very much a three with the odd pair filling in just as much as other midfielders would be expected to. I think the issue comes when, as currently, we’re struggling to field three centre halves whilst also limited on numbers at wing back which is why the second half back four sometimes looks more appealing. Personally, I see why the three works with the system we play but also how four was far more effective today.