Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Official Ashes Thread

Horwich

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
I reckon ONE more mention of weather,and the " mature mod" should be banned from here :::::::::lol:::::::::

What!!!??? Surely not when I was asked a specific question on the subject! Anyway, I reckon all of the mods on here are grand lads :p

Another right hammering!

I reckon we lost this series before a ball was bowled! Leaving out Panasar and Reid for Giles and Jones was simply bad management and captaincy. Without Jones our bowling lacked the penetation of 18 months ago. Anderson and Mahood are simply not up to the standard required.

We were unfortunate in that injury and lunacy put paid to Vaughan and Trescothick. Making Flintoff captain was just as big a mistake as giving to Botham in the 80's.

Oh well I expect interest in cricket will slip back to its pre 2005 levels for a few more years.

Another right hammering!

I reckon we lost this series before a ball was bowled! Leaving out Panasar and Reid for Giles and Jones was simply bad management and captaincy. Without Jones our bowling lacked the penetation of 18 months ago. Anderson and Mahood are simply not up to the standard required.

We were unfortunate in that injury and lunacy put paid to Vaughan and Trescothick. Making Flintoff captain was just as big a mistake as giving to Botham in the 80's.

Oh well I expect interest in cricket will slip back to its pre 2005 levels for a few more years.

Lets be fair - Australia are a great team. Truly, a great team. There's no shame in losing to them.

I agree on Panesar, not on Read though, and we have had bad luck to be denied Vaughan, Trescothick and Jones. 3 big players for us.

Don't think interest in cricket will be affected though, don't see where you are coming from on that one. We were so bad for so long I don't think England cricket fans base their support on success.

• Moderators

Penesar for Giles, yes

Jones has kept well, and is a good team man - however if Fletcher keeps his job, and is consistent, we'll be seeing a new wk as Fletcher maintains he needs a a wk/batsman

Jones might never be seen again

I worry about Flintoffs fitness

Mahmood and Anderson are both good bowlers and need games

Test matches in Oz are noyt the place to get fit and learn the game

Positives

Collingwood, Bell and Cook have all made runs

I thought they summed it up well.

Katich was not up to it 2 summers ago. In came Hussey. He has made big runs. Hussey said this morning that to get into the Australian team you HAVE to score big runs EVERY innings and the bowlers are expected to take many wickets. Their mentality is so much more based around winning. We always have the "hard luck" mentality and the "we're still playing for pride".

In addition, they swapped Gillespie/Kasprowicz for Stuart Clark - he has taken wickets.

So all in, their team has got stronger since we last played them. Ours, as BGOE pointed out, has got weaker.

Its a pity that Reid will probably get chosen for the last 2 tests and everything he achieves will be hypothetical given that we won't know how hard the Aussies are trying.

• Members

Maybe you wouldn't back against it Traf but, please, for the sake of us who live here, pray for at least one draw (or preferably a win). Fooking nauseating here already. I never knew the true meaning of the word 'gloat' until I moved here. A national pastime. Can't find the fookers when they lose at owt and that is one more reason I will always be English. Loyal to the death - win, lose or draw.

Maybe you wouldn't back against it Traf but, please, for the sake of us who live here, pray for at least one draw (or preferably a win). Fooking nauseating here already. I never knew the true meaning of the word 'gloat' until I moved here. A national pastime. Can't find the fookers when they lose at owt and that is one more reason I will always be English. Loyal to the death - win, lose or draw.

Bolty, let me refer you to a previous post of mine (posted, ironically, after the poor start to last series)

All we'll hear now is the usual shite about how Australia are a "nation of winners". Nation with a chip on both shoulders more like.

If giving the world its principal language, inventing most of its sports, starting the industrial revolution, creating the biggest empire the world has ever seen, being at the hub of all manner of scientific and artistic endeavours down the years, from Newton and Shakespeare through Faraday and Blake and on to The Beatles and Alan Turing; playing a pivotal role in the development of everything from democracy to Darwinism, from computers to Concorde and from football to fish and chips - if all that does not make us "winners" then what must Australia have bequeathed to the world? I'll tell you what - the boomerang and Rolf Harris. "winners"?? "gary nevilles" more like.

Tell them to stick that in their billabong and smoke it. Twats.

Bolty, today is one of those rare days when I don't envy your life in Perth. Our condolences are with you, mate. It must be f??cking awful there today and I bet it's warm too! :D

• Members

Cheers Satan and Traf. Cheered me up that did. You wouldn't believe the number of people I have not seen or heard of for over a year who are coming out of the woodwork to have a go. Maintaining a stiff upper lip and giving as good as I get. One of the best defences has been ' What? Some cricket going on, is there?'

Slightly different angle to this. At the WACA on Saturday, a good mate of mine, Gibbo, from Brisbane who was at the Rugby World Cup Final with me (Derby fan - runs his own trades personnel agency and is waiting to hear from loads of you lot) comes wandering up in the bar to say hello. Knowing me well he says 'Don't be offended when me scouse mate comes over with the beers'. When I asked him why he says 'You'll see'. This scally in his mid 30's comes wandering up in one of those giveaway (Aussies won't buy their national colours - almost all giveaways by breweries and the like) Australian green and gold shirts. Being calm and serene on that particular day, I ask him "What the fooks with the shirt?". The reply came "I'm an Aussie me, been here for 15 years". After pointing out in colourful terms that I have been here 18 years and will always remain English, I blanked the coont.

Then, wandering out of the bar, I bump into a munich from Stretford and his missus. Draped in the Australian flag with Aussie football shirts on plus Aussie caps. Gobsmacked. Blanked em.

What the fook is happening to this world? Do the words 'undying loyalty' mean nowt any more? Hey, who am I asking? Bolton supporters. The term was invented to describe us.

With St.George in my heart keep me English.

Edited by bolty58

The Aussie's never officially declared indepenence, so, technically, we always win :good:

Correct. They all criminals in the same way that America is a colony. You name me one Aussie famous for their contribution to science or culture? Bloody Retards, the lot of them! Rant over!

Correct. They all criminals in the same way that America is a colony. You name me one Aussie famous for their contribution to science or culture? Bloody Retards, the lot of them! Rant over!

Rolf Harris and Craig McLachlan: to name but two.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.