Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wigan Rename Their Stadium

IMO one thing this shows is how little sponsorship money is out there at the moment. After carrying the name of JJB since it opened, surely Wigan would have gladly accepted a good few million for the naming rights.

IMO one thing this shows is how little sponsorship money is out there at the moment. After carrying the name of JJB since it opened, surely Wigan would have gladly accepted a good few million for the naming rights.

read somewhere that whelan turned down a million from some company . (probably hollands)

it's not help their attendances any

Course not - they were getting 2k a decade ago.

It'd help ours - which was the point I was making

• Moderators
Course not - they were getting 2k a decade ago.

It'd help ours - which was the point I was making

here we go again...

it wouldn't

people don't go because of the stewards or something

or the atmosphere

or the proximity to bolton town centre

if it's not price it's something else

?10 v Fulham and we barely broke 20k

here we go again...

it wouldn't

people don't go because of the stewards or something

or the atmosphere

or the proximity to bolton town centre

if it's not price it's something else

?10 v Fulham and we barely broke 20k

Bollocks - you charge ?250 for ST's and they'd sell - simple as that.

I didn't bother going to Fulham either, as it was Fulham (the shittest fans in the history of football) and I knew the pub would have more atmosphere than the Reebok.

One off offers for unattractive games don't hold much appeal for me either.

If I was at the helm at BWFC I would be focussing on getting Season Ticket sales up. (which they seem to be doing)

Once you've paid your money upfront you are more likely to turn up!

• Moderators
Bollocks - you charge ?250 for ST's and they'd sell - simple as that.

I didn't bother going to Fulham either, as it was Fulham (the shittest fans in the history of football) and I knew the pub would have more atmosphere than the Reebok.

you said it was shite when we had 25k on, so why would the atmosphere be any better this time

just asking whats changed

• Moderators

dunno, but a lot depends on the stadium build cost, surely

almost all our debt is down to the reebok build, if memory serves

maybe wigan got luckier/did a better deal

i don't know

Whelan says Wigan Ath have their debts down to ?15m, and that he expects some Prem club to go into admin before too long.

Wonder how much he's given the club over the last few years to have achieved their position on such low borrowing ?

That is the difference '...given...' With ?15M of debt, it hints that Whelan has 'given' Wigan his money without the need for them to shown it as borrowings, loans, debts etc.

Many clubs have the debt needed to purchase the club reversed into them, e.g. Man United and Liverpool.

Eddie Davies has been our saviour but with our massive increase in debt over the last two years, I get the feeling he is somewhere inbetween; partly donating to the club in exchange for equity and partly acting as the guarantor for increased bank related debt.

dunno, but a lot depends on the stadium build cost, surely

almost all our debt is down to the reebok build, if memory serves

maybe wigan got luckier/did a better deal

i don't know

As it's a smaller and less complex designed stadium this will have helped cut their costs.

Plus the rugger buggers will have stumped some cash up for it too.

As it's a smaller and less complex designed stadium this will have helped cut their costs.

Plus the rugger buggers will have stumped some cash up for it too.

Tesco is now on Central Park. New houses on Springfied Park.

Didnt we get tuppence for Burnden Park?

i don't care much for dave whelan, and there's more to this blast than just football, think ashley is trying to buy off some of his company or something

anyway

he does have a point

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009...le-uniteds-mike

It all goes back to Ashley shopping Whelan and his sports shop mates to the Office of Fair Trading a few years back for their price fixing agreements on the price of replica kit.

Ashley is now trying to block Whelan's purchase of the JJB health club business by the backdoor by writing to all the landlords of the property they are housed in and asking for their support.

Anything that continues to distract him from the job of Newcastle owner has to be good for their ongoing relegation hopes!

• Moderators
Anything that continues to distract him from the job of Newcastle owner has to be good for their ongoing relegation hopes!

he did his bit sometime ago

it's all down to the players now, they won't let him down

Whelan says Wigan Ath have their debts down to ?15m, and that he expects some Prem club to go into admin before too long.

Wonder how much he's given the club over the last few years to have achieved their position on such low borrowing ?

Given that Wigan's debt was ?54 million the year before last, he must have shovelled a fair amount in just lately.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.