Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

When Saturday Comes

luke_

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on ww yet, but the WSC magazine for August has a double page spread of the wanderers division 2 winning side of 1978, there are some belting pictures of fans outside the town hall and the open top bus going through Le Mans Crescent. =D> it's a good little article for anyone who doesn't usually buy the mag... and no I don't flog magazines for a living.

Guest Holly_Goodhead
This will be a double must buy for me as one of my biggest regrets as a bolton fan was deciding not to go to the open top bus celebration in 78, did not realise there was many photographs of the day, what date does the magazine come out?

I think he must mean the issue which is in the shops now.There was a long article on the West Brom v Bolton game towards the end of last season in WSC that included a photo of the Bolton end.Is there a Bolton fan on the staff?

• Members
I think he must mean the issue which is in the shops now.There was a long article on the West Brom v Bolton game towards the end of last season in WSC that included a photo of the Bolton end.Is there a Bolton fan on the staff?

Gobsmacked. No' Megson out' twist. Are you ill?

• Moderators

dunno, but theres at least one on 4-4-2

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on ww yet, but the WSC magazine for August has a double page spread of the wanderers division 2 winning side of 1978, there are some belting pictures of fans outside the town hall and the open top bus going through Le Mans Crescent. =D> it's a good little article for anyone who doesn't usually buy the mag... and no I don't flog magazines for a living.
thx m8 I will be buying this mag. I was in the crowd in the square. I will be particularly looking to see if I can spot my mum who was on the town hall steps that night when the players were parading the trophy. She worked for Bolton Wanderers for over 30 years in the promotions department. She is retired now and in her 70s. I am very proud of her, and especially proud that she ran the 'Lifeline' when it was first conceived. BWFC were pioneers in this weekly draw. She worked alongside Nat Lofthouse for many years. They often promoted the Lifeline Draw together at different venues in Bolton and also they travelled to different football clubs around England explaining to the Promotions and Marketing the concept of the Lifeline Draw, which the new club then emulated.

I am also proud to say that Nat came to my mum's 60th birthday party because he very rarely accepted invitations to outside functions. And he didn't just show up and leave, he stayed all night, chatting and having his photo took with people. :good:

I'm getting a bit sentimental now and probably boring most of you. :)

Anyway getting back to the Town Hall parade mi mum only towd mi last year that Neil Whatmore handed her the trophy that night to take back stage so to speak. She didn't even make a special effort to tell me that story, it just casually came up in conversation as though it was something and nothing :mellow: If that would have been me it would have been my Claim to Fame story every week since.

Guest squidgy66
thx m8 I will be buying this mag. I was in the crowd in the square.

You are getting worse than Brixton you :rofl:

Don't know why that made me laugh, but it did :rofl:

Good on yer Mrs D :good:

thx m8 I will be buying this mag. I was in the crowd in the square. I will be particularly looking to see if I can spot my mum who was on the town hall steps that night when the players were parading the trophy. She worked for Bolton Wanderers for over 30 years in the promotions department. She is retired now and in her 70s. I am very proud of her, and especially proud that she ran the 'Lifeline' when it was first conceived. BWFC were pioneers in this weekly draw. She worked alongside Nat Lofthouse for many years. They often promoted the Lifeline Draw together at different venues in Bolton and also they travelled to different football clubs around England explaining to the Promotions and Marketing the concept of the Lifeline Draw, which the new club then emulated.

I am also proud to say that Nat came to my mum's 60th birthday party because he very rarely accepted invitations to outside functions. And he didn't just show up and leave, he stayed all night, chatting and having his photo took with people. :good:

Anyway getting back to the Town Hall parade mi mum only towd mi last year that Neil Whatmore handed her the trophy that night to take back stage so to speak. She didn't even make a special effort to tell me that story, it just casually came up in conversation as though it was something and nothing :mellow: If that would have been me it would have been my Claim to Fame story every week since.

great story thanks

great story thanks
I am really glad that I got this feedback from you medway :good: I was wondering whether or not to share my story because I was thinking it could be just seen as boring or uninteresting to outsiders.

Anyway I won't be sharing my stories as often on WWays for a while because the Mods have really p!ssed me off with the new petty rules which mean that I can't post without it being vetted first before it gets placed on the messageboard. This place is supposed to be light-hearted fun not serious sh!t like this. Things like this annoy me were I can't have a bit of fun with my cyber friends.

I am very proud of her, and especially proud that she ran the 'Lifeline' when it was first conceived. BWFC were pioneers in this weekly draw. She worked alongside Nat Lofthouse for many years. They often promoted the Lifeline Draw together at different venues in Bolton and also they travelled to different football clubs around England explaining to the Promotions and Marketing the concept of the Lifeline Draw, which the new club then emulated.

There was also a fella called Alf Davies from Athy who worked on, and promoted Lifeline, from the beginning

Great gesture from Nat, that sums up the great man.

Good read that Zozzy. :good:

Edited by athywhite1958

That is right Athy. Alf Davies was the Commercial Manager at the time, I was going to mention his name in the original post.(but it seemed to getting a bit long winded). He was head of all matters of generating funds for the club, including the distribution of the predecessor to the scratch cards, which was basically cardboard folded in half and fastened together with a perforated edge. This was then ripped open to reveal pictures of fruit machines e.g. 3 cherries won a prize.

If this was one of the main sources of income for the club, it is no wonder that we had to build a supermarket on the embankment ::lol::

Yes Alf Davies was my mum's boss and was the person who put her in charge of running the Lifeline Draw. I think he lived on Newbrook Rd. Athy , or maybe that was his daughter.

There was an interesting article in the Sun newspaper at the time. A reporter went down to the Promotions Office after hearing how successful the Lifeline Draw was in helping to save a struggling low league club called Bolton Wanderers that was on it's knees financially. In this article my mum(Mavis in case anyone knows her) was quoted talking about Alf's initiatives.

Alf Davies 's passion was rugby league not football and he later joined Leeds RL as their commercial manager.

Other staff later included Des McBain (who is still a Director ) and young Gary Porter who she helped train up, and subsequently went on to be Commercial Director at Lancashire Cricket Club.

Andrew the current Promotions Mananger and Alison arrived at the Club well before Mave retired, they still keep in touch and are doing an excellent job for BWFC :good:

That is right Athy. Alf Davies was the Commercial Manager at the time, I was going to mention his name in the original post.(but it seemed to getting a bit long winded). He was head of all matters of generating funds for the club, including the distribution of the predecessor to the scratch cards, which was basically cardboard folded in half and fastened together with a perforated edge. This was then ripped open to reveal pictures of fruit machines e.g. 3 cherries won a prize.

If this was one of the main sources of income for the club, it is no wonder that we had to build a supermarket on the embankment :::lol:::

Yes Alf Davies was my mum's boss and was the person who put her in charge of running the Lifeline Draw. I think he lived on Newbrook Rd. Athy , or maybe that was his daughter.

There was an interesting article in the Sun newspaper at the time. A reporter went down to the Promotions Office after hearing how successful the Lifeline Draw was in helping to save a struggling low league club called Bolton Wanderers that was on it's knees financially. In this article my mum(Mavis in case anyone knows her) was quoted talking about Alf's initiatives.

Alf Davies 's passion was rugby league not football and he later joined Leeds RL as their commercial manager.

Other staff later included Des McBain (who is still a Director ) and young Gary Porter who she helped train up, and subsequently went on to be Commercial Director at Lancashire Cricket Club.

Andrew the current Promotions Mananger and Alison arrived at the Club well before Mave retired, they still keep in touch and are doing an excellent job for BWFC :good:

Good read C, my dad used to take my son Paul from the age of three to all the home games at Burnden, he had a special card to get in, and would take my lad in the players lounge at H/T. Me and Gubbins got in a few times, but i mithered Norman Hunter and Joe Royle one match and got kicked out. On the last day at Burnden V Charlton, my son is on the footage coming out of the tunnel at H/T. Happy Days.

• Site Supporter
I am really glad that I got this feedback from you medway :good: I was wondering whether or not to share my story because I was thinking it could be just seen as boring or uninteresting to outsiders.

Anyway I won't be sharing my stories as often on WWays for a while because the Mods have really p!ssed me off with the new petty rules which mean that I can't post without it being vetted first before it gets placed on the messageboard. This place is supposed to be light-hearted fun not serious sh!t like this. Things like this annoy me were I can't have a bit of fun with my cyber friends.

It'd be a shame to lose your occasional gems and your occasional inane ramblings. Take the modism on the chin though, roll with it, serve your sentance then get back to normal posts. The more you piss off the mods the longer that'll take. Also remember, when you do get to post normally, try biting your lip instead of wearing your heart on your sleeve and telling exactly what you think of the mods.

If this was one of the main sources of income for the club, it is no wonder that we had to build a supermarket on the embankment :::lol:::

No wonder you're on mod preview yer boring coont

:D

Only joking, nice bit of nostalgia Zoz :good:

Got the magazine some great photos in particular the team entering Le Mans crescent on the open top Bus preceded by 4 police horses, a packed town hall square and for Zozzy a picture of the team and BWFC staff on the town hall steps, there is also a picture of the team gathered round Tony Dunne's sponsored Lada in the background is the Happy shop and the turnstile to the Manny road entrance at ?1.40.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.