Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Proper Promotion Poll

HomerJay

promotion, playoffs, nowhere  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Site Supporter

after the debacle of the other promotion thread, here we go.

whats it to be with 9 games remaining.

fuck in the playoffs?

fuck up the playoffs?

fuck off the playoffs?

post-14-0-52500100-1363183390_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-87397900-1363183401_thumb.jpg

Edited by HomerJay

I'll say again...if we go up with this side well get mullered...

Because we are poor and a run of good results cant paper over that...the best side as a example lost on Saturday...

Our best players are current short term loan players...

So I hope we just miss out...albeit with a run of victories, confidence high...some good summer signings...and kick on into next season in bouyant mood and romp it with 100points and 100 goals...

Because we are poor and a run of good results cant paper over that...the best side as a example lost on Saturday...

So I hope we just miss out...albeit with a run of victories, confidence high...some good summer signings...and kick on into next season in bouyant mood and romp it with 100points and 100 goals...

We'll never go up with a side good enough, that's the point.

Even when Allardyce took us up, staying up with that team was a miracle - they do happen.

Let's get there first and worry about it later.

Oh, and it's ON !!

• Moderators

I'm not convinced about this go up too soon mentality

if you've been out the PL for years, or never been in and go on a good run, maybe

but I would expect us to get weaker, not stronger, in the summer, so for me we go up now with what we've managed to hold onto from our last season in the PL and add better quality to the squad and retain what we've got

then when we get in, we do it the hard way like we did under fat sam

I can't see how a team we assemble next season on next to no money would fare better than we one we could put together after getting promoted, with more money

I'm also in the confused by the 'we'd be better prepared by staying down another year' school of thought - do they mean like when we had a record breaking season and a brand new spanking stadium to move into? I agree with Zico, I think another season would weaken us (even after the deadwood has been cut, if there is much more deadwood left to cut?)

Let's get up and worry about staying there (or not staying there) if and when it happens. I do understand reservations about us going up, then getting pasted week-in, week-out and the bedsheet brigade and other sundry mongalongs and boo-boys rounding on the management and board. Which leads us to back to the original dilemma, in the Premier and struggling to survive, or challenging in the Championship, and things are interesting with no 'quick fixes', knee-jerks, inflated wages, useless loanees and other associated 'Premiership' bollocks required?

Edited by Youri McAnespie

I'm not convinced about this go up too soon mentality

if you've been out the PL for years, or never been in and go on a good run, maybe

but I would expect us to get weaker, not stronger, in the summer, so for me we go up now with what we've managed to hold onto from our last season in the PL and add better quality to the squad and retain what we've got

then when we get in, we do it the hard way like we did under fat sam

I can't see how a team we assemble next season on next to no money would fare better than we one we could put together after getting promoted, with more money

Exactly, Zico

Interestingly, this table in the link below (from Wikipedia), if you ignore the massives, I'd reckon these are the clubs who are our overall nearest competitors/similar sized clubs* (historically).

http://en.wikipedia....b#Overall_Total

Provided we didn't get cut adrift, would it be that terrible to be bobbing in and out of the top flight on a long term basis? Should we adjust our expectations to this - with perhaps the glimmer of the odd cup run, or even challenging for a European place once in a blue moon (or rather, whites moon)? Or is this an unsustainable plan? Surely it's sustainable if we're not slaves to staying up at all costs?

* On a wider scale, well - you know what I mean! Before some pedants come on with average attendances at The Stadium of Light etc.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Think we wil miss out but personally wouldn't mind another season down here.

Done a lot more away and had a lot more fun.

If we did make the play offs our away game is likely to be mid week which could be a shitter if we get Palace or Brighton for example.

Happy with 7th this year, and unbeaten next.

We were the blueprint once. Stokes, West Broms all aimed to do what Allardyce, Gartside and Eddie achieved in those prem years.

football has changed, gone are the days that you go out and get world class freebies and loans. we had a fantastic time with big sam and he did the best he could in that culture but a decade has passed and now its about investing in youth and making money on player development, f we go up we have to get the ballance rite. if freedman is the right man to do that only time will tell.

do i think we will go up? yes im starting to belive we just mite

will it be a good thing for us? yes playing in the premiership is the only place to be for the money side of things. if your a fan who just wants a decent day out then championship aint a bad place to be but unfortunatly money is more important to the club

We win on Saturday and hull beat forest, we're 6th..

unless Middlesbrough score at least 8 against Birmingham.

And anyway, Brighton play on Sunday (but at Palace).

There is no particular advantage in being in the top 6 yet. In fact 4 May will do.

The clubs who do get there all seem to wobble!

• Moderators

We were the blueprint once. Stokes, West Broms all aimed to do what Allardyce, Gartside and Eddie achieved in those prem years.

you reckon?

granted they wanted our success, but i'd say the 3 clubs have 3 different approaches to it

stoke have a mega rich backer

i'm sure west brom always followed the yoyo plan

they are about 500k in debt

i'm not one for kicking how we are run, but it does raise some questions

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/12/west-bromwich-albion-profit-debt