Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Israel/palestine Conflict

• Members

Speaking of lefties and the recent events in Gaza, I see that the Jewish Film Festival has now been cancelled at The Tricycle and pressure has forced Jewish acts to be excluded from the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. 

Amazing how these so called Anti Fascist campaigners behave more like Nazis than anyone else.

I wonder what our resident theatre correspondent has to say about this?

• Members

Is this bit actually true?

You please confirm for me C. Certainly reported as the reason for it down here. Even had the actress Maureen Lipman interviewed in the report mentioning hordes of rent a mob types outside The Tricycle Theatre.

You please confirm for me C. Certainly reported as the reason for it down here. Even had the actress Maureen Lipman interviewed in the report mentioning hordes of rent a mob types outside The Tricycle Theatre.

I think our resident thespian will be along shortly to confirm or deny said "fact"

Just done a bit of research and some comedian called Joe Bor has a show called "A Room with a Jew" and some other comedian called Ivor Dembina has a show called "Old Jewish Jokes"

Acclaimed Jewish comedian Ivor Dembina, **** (Guardian), performs some of his favourite kosher gags alongside his personal take on the life of the Jewish comic. The sheer volume of Old Jewish Jokes is mesmerising, centuries of Jewish humour crammed into 60 minutes, loved by Jews and non-Jews alike! 'The success of the performance was down to Dembina's delivery, each quick fire gag delivered with the stereotypical panache natural to this veteran of the Jewish comedy scene. I would urge you to go and see what is an excellent show' (BroadwayBaby.com).

Still, that's only 2 I've found without digging too far, they might be the only two. I'll let our resident luvvie comment, as this really is more his arena

Speaking of lefties and the recent events in Gaza, I see that the Jewish Film Festival has now been cancelled at The Tricycle and pressure has forced Jewish acts to be excluded from the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. 

Amazing how these so called Anti Fascist campaigners behave more like Nazis than anyone else.

I wonder what our resident theatre correspondent has to say about this?

Made me laugh because it's a bloke called John Stalker who brought that show to the fringe, and I'm not his biggest fan.

To be honest, I think it's not on. I went to watch Batsheva Dance Company at Sadler's Wells a couple of years ago, huge protests outside, house light up throughout and a few catcalls during the performance. Yes they are a government funded company, the argument is they are promoting pro-Israeli messages. There was nothing that I saw that was 'pro-israeli' except a representation of their culture, sometimes in a mocking and critical way. Salder's weren't promoting conflict, also were do we stop when culture can't have a voice. If they weren't allowed to criticize their own government because they were funded by them , then there are problems, but this isn't the case.

I have a friend who is working on a show called Voca People (you might have seen them on the BBC fringe show) stupid act in by book doing comedy songs etc but even they have been targeted because they are from Israel.

No one is saying that art isn't a powerful way to transmit propaganda but I'm sorry, when every piece of work from a country is banned, when the artists have no say in governmental affairs is pushing an agenda too hard, and that sort of censorship does make me feel uncomfortable.

If they were pushing a certain cause, then yes, I can understand it, but its not like they are singing songs about how great it is to bomb Gaza. Although after 20 minutes of their act i could have happily used them as a human shield.

Edited by Not in Crawley

Protesters have targeted acts that are (part) funded by the Israeli government, I read. Seems fair to me like.

Are you saying all government funded groups are ok to be targeted. Batsheva get attacked everywhere they perform, even though their artistic director has been openly critical of the government.

Many artists cannot function without government funding, Israeli has a similar policy to the UK with regard to the arts, they are funded on merit, not their political stance. I mean they don't have NDPBs to ensure partisan funding, but they certainly don't gag their artists and the company wouldn't have such worldwide critical acclaim if they were just spouting pro-Israeli rhetoric.

Just done a bit of research and some comedian called Joe Bor has a show called "A Room with a Jew" and some other comedian called Ivor Dembina has a show called "Old Jewish Jokes"

Still, that's only 2 I've found without digging too far, they might be the only two. I'll let our resident luvvie comment, as this really is more his arena

Tricycle have said they won't put on any work funded by any government involved in the conflict. 

you'd think so

unless you had read some of the comments on this thread

I don't think anybody, no matter whether they are Left or Right can draw parallels between kids being murdered in Iraq and those being killed during Israels military offensive in Gaza.