Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Israel/palestine Conflict

Unfortunately the Hamas folk don't have tattoos on their head saying there Hamas so they'd just walk out as civilians and walk back in again and start all over again.

But they're fighting a war. They wouldn't sneak out using civilians as cover, surely!

Brilliant stuff from John Snow

http://youtu.be/mR1LGoNg5p4

It's good that Snow feels strongly enough to record this however he said we can make a difference and that's where I think he's wrong I'm 100% sure the Israelis just want peace and security in there country as do the Palestinians unfortunately the Islamic radicals don't want peace they just want to exterminate Israel even at the sacrifice of their own people unless Hamas are taken out of the equation I don't think there can be any peace.

• Members

How much worse does it have to get before you voice your disapproval?

If that's addressed at me, I have been voicing disapproval since Hamas started firing missiles into Israel. I still disapprove.

As far as I am concerned, they are wholly responsible for the deaths on both sides of the border. None would have been recorded had they not fired them.

Was listening to the debate on news night last night the ex Mossad leader explained that this war in Gaza is funded and backed by Iran as was the recent war in Syria, Iran were backing the Syrian government and had Iranian troops on the ground and it would not suprise me if Iranian troops were helping Hamas and weapons fired by Hamas were from Iran supplied by Putiin.

It's clear to me that Israel should be supported by the west to fight Hamas but also clear that a solution must be diplomatically negotiated that brings Iran, Russia, America and Israel to the table to negotiate peace if at all possible.

The losers in this war are the poor people of Gaza who are pawns in a greater and dangerous game being played out in Gaza by the superpowers.

The leaders of the these super powers should be forced by the UN to get round a table to sort this or be cited for war crimes.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

I've just had a minor revelation, a paradigm shift if you were. Bolty isn't just a reactionary. He's actually thick as pig shit.

So do you think Hammas will stop firing rockets or reverse their policy of the complete erradication of jews in the the region if IDF stopped and pulled out and both Israel and Egypt ended the sanctions?

Probably not you will say. So what should they do when the rockets, missiles and bombs start to go off again? wring their hands and cry to the UN?

So do you think Hammas will stop firing rockets or reverse their policy of the complete erradication of jews in the the region if IDF stopped and pulled out and both Israel and Egypt ended the sanctions?

Probably not you will say. So what should they do when the rockets, missiles and bombs start to go off again? wring their hands and cry to the UN?

No - but they could rely on the excellent Iron Dome, and spend their time working with moderates from within Gaza and the West Bank to find a viable 2 state solution. Hamas is something Palestine needs to sort out for itself. In the meantime, Israel could become a hero in the eyes of rest the world by resisting provocation and acting responsibly. It could slowly lift the embargo on Gaza and allow it to flourish. The international community could divert some of the obscene amounts of money we send to Israel in military aid to rebuild Gaza's infrastructure in return for continued stability.

No, I just think that reading Bolty is like watching Fox News. Half truths dressed up as statements of fact.

At least Maggie has the knowledge, wit and brains to have a reasonable debate.

For my own opinions on this I don't need to add anything more than what Kent has said, although I do have sympathy with what Maggie us saying. I've supported pro Israeli artists (in fact I'm off to Edinburgh today to work on an Israeli funded arts project) It's a sad state of affairs, I think both sides on here agree on that and no one wants to see children die. But also I would defend my right to live in a place if that had been deemed my homeland.

• Members

I've just had a minor revelation, a paradigm shift if you were. Bolty isn't just a reactionary. He's actually thick as pig shit.

If you have resorted to asinine insults, you have already lost sonny.

Come back when you've grown up a bit.

• Members

No, I just think that reading Bolty is like watching Fox News. Half truths dressed up as statements of fact.

At least Maggie has the knowledge, wit and brains to have a reasonable debate.

For my own opinions on this I don't need to add anything more than what Kent has said, although I do have sympathy with what Maggie us saying. I've supported pro Israeli artists (in fact I'm off to Edinburgh today to work on an Israeli funded arts project) It's a sad state of affairs, I think both sides on here agree on that and no one wants to see children die. But also I would defend my right to live in a place if that had been deemed my homeland.

I'm becoming an obsession with you, aren't I? Gratifying.

It may have been better to suck up to Maggie when he was mauling you a few days ago. 

We do agree on that one thing though.

Mauling? Hardly. He's bright, and I enjoy his banter.

Yes, I admit I'm a bit taken with you. You're quite something. It's like prodding a wounded animal at times.

And Kent, I'm paying for nothing. One of the very few perks of this job; got some dance stuff to watch, going seeing loads of free comedy and Underbelly stuff, git my invite to all the launches over the weekend and on sat seeing a show produced by Liverpool Everyman called Live Forever about the heady post Brit pop days of 97, sounds right up my street - I think it's in Liverpool in the autumn and I'm sure the WW lot might like it.

• Moderators

They seemed to be making different points, KW is discussing the ongoing crisis, the one that's in the news, Maggie was pulling out the history of the area going back to the Exodus. I think most folk are only concerned about the humanitarian side, be they muzzies, Arabs or Kalahari Bushmen.

"They started it" isn't a defence for atrocities.

They seemed to be making different points, KW is discussing the ongoing crisis, the one that's in the news, Maggie was pulling out the history of the area going back to the Exodus. I think most folk are only concerned about the humanitarian side, be they muzzies, Arabs or Kalahari Bushmen.

"They started it" isn't a defence for atrocities.

Totally agree, as I'm sure most reasonable folk do.

• Moderators

easy to sit on the fence until someone pushes you off it..

am firmly on it myself

they are both being twats

no need to pick sides

this article makes for an interesting read

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ali-a-rizvi/post_8056_b_5602701.html

end of the day

israel could deflect all missiles and not fire anything back in the manner they have been doing, whilst still making a point

it'd be the war equivalent of this

Giant_Meets_Midget.jpg

am firmly on it myself

they are both being twats

no need to pick sides

this article makes for an interesting read

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ali-a-rizvi/post_8056_b_5602701.html

That's an interesting read and frightening the number of people killed in other conflicts. Half a million killed in Sudan! 180,000 in Syria! It would be easy to make light of the current situation in Palestine but you really do wonder why this crisis is more news worthy than the other atrocities.