Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Israel/palestine Conflict

I'm putting it out there, I'm risking a nasty rebuke but I don't give a fuck who digs any tunnels. Dig

You would if a nut job popped out of one at night, attacked your house, murdered your family and then scarpered. The tunnels are one of, if not the, main reason for all this current aggro, hence the buffer zone while they are cleared. The Israelis certainly give a fuck and rightly so

The tunnels have only just come into it, read back, it was the rockets!

No problem with them destroying the tunnels either, so long as they don't do it next to a UN shelter or school !

The rockets have been coming over in greater numbers since May. Israel spends a lot more money defending itself than it does attacking other countries so it's shit hot iron dome system takes out most of them. Israeli got strong intelligence that Hamas was planning a 'spectacular'terrorist attack sometime at the end of September (they even had an exact date) using these tunnels. That's why Israel went into Gaza with ground troops knowing that a large number of their own troops would be killed.they wouldn't have done that just to stop the rockets, they know the rockets will continue anyway. They can't allow Hamas to extend these secret tunnels into Israel

I went down a tunnel once, under a mill, we were playing a game imaginatively titled 'Vietnam' - anyhow, when I realised I couldn't turn round I went doolally, problem being there was about ten other little nobheads following me, me being 'on point'.

Used to go down tunnels a lot, now I think of it, spoiled bastards these days wouldn't do that.

Serious question, how big is the border and can they not get a geologist to use sonar to detect the tunnels?

About 25 miles long I think which doesn't seem that big I know. You'd have thought a sophisticated army with the amount if resources Israel had would be able to locate them with equipment but apparently not yet anyway. Human ingenuity trumping the machines it would seem for now

About 25 miles long I think which doesn't seem that big I know. You'd have thought a sophisticated army with the amount if resources Israel had would be able to locate them with equipment but apparently not yet anyway. Human ingenuity trumping the machines it would seem for now

The part I don't understand about the tunnel situation is this. Presumably, they start in Hamas controlled territory and end in Israeli controlled territory. Why can't the Israeli military just destroy the tunnels from their own end?

'A moral outrage and a criminal act' according to the UN Secretary General.

Buuuuuuut Hamas started it.

Its like when your little brother wound you up as a kid and you beat the shit out him for it. 

Yes he was being a dick, but you were meant to be more sensible and react in an appropriate way

I thought the council started it. I'm getting confused about who to hate now.

Tony Blair

He's supposed to be the great peace-keeping Messiah in the Middle East

• Moderators

Ground-penetrating radar, sorted.