Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm taking a small amount of comfort from Leeds fans going through what we went through, so far.  Southampton fans got more in common with Oxford with their relative lack of passion and general poshness;  Leeds fans straining every sinue and desperate to go up, packing that end in white, making no noise any more because they are pissed off and their team is under performing, just like us.   A play off final when you're losing isn't the place for coming up with nice singalong songs is it.

"Poshness"?

It's a sizeable place, and has its share of deprivation as well as wealth. Just like Bolton.

• Moderators

Tight finish at the bottom of serie A tonight 

3 teams could go down, Empoli at home to Roma, Frosinone at home to Udinese

Screenshot_20240526-191825.png

2 hours ago, Zico said:

Tight finish at the bottom of serie A tonight 

3 teams could go down, Empoli at home to Roma, Frosinone at home to Udinese

Screenshot_20240526-191825.png

Injury time goal decisive!

• Site Supporter
On 26/05/2024 at 13:53, radcliffe white said:

That’s because your losing your memory 

Haha, probably because of about 10 pints @ 8%.

It doesn’t have dark fruits so you’re better off staying away.

• Site Supporter
On 26/05/2024 at 19:15, Tonge moor green jacket said:

"Poshness"?

It's a sizeable place, and has its share of deprivation as well as wealth. Just like Bolton.

I’ve worked for a Southampton company and been there many times.

It’s nothing like Bolton.

Well that German play off 2nd leg was a bit dramatic, I didn't intend to watch it but it just came on TV and I was drawn in.

I rarely watch non UK domestic leagues but the grounds in Germany always seem on a different level to this country for atmosphere.  The Fortuna Dusseldorf stadium and fans, top quality (and still in Div 2).  Makes some of our top flight games look like mid table Div 3.  

11 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Well that German play off 2nd leg was a bit dramatic, I didn't intend to watch it but it just came on TV and I was drawn in.

I rarely watch non UK domestic leagues but the grounds in Germany always seem on a different level to this country for atmosphere.  The Fortuna Dusseldorf stadium and fans, top quality (and still in Div 2).  Makes some of our top flight games look like mid table Div 3.  

Only just checked the result, assumed they'd be promoted after winning first leg 3-0 away. Wow!

They've done a few games this season where their tickets are free for everyone, it's a different world. Even though I'd recommend going watching games in Germany to anyone though there's still things I maintain we do better here.

The chanting and noise and action in the ultras sections is constant from well before kick off to well after full time which is great in itself but I've found it kind of sucks out any atmosphere from other parts of the stadium, people just tend to sit in silence watching what's happening in the ultras section. Also when a goal goes in sometimes the noise barely changes, no "limbs" or anything, it just carries on as one constant noise as before!

• Members
On 25/05/2024 at 17:58, radcliffe white said:

Unlucky city

Other way around this place would be in meltdown😀

You can just come right out and say it matey. We all know anyway.

9 hours ago, Marc505 said:

Only just checked the result, assumed they'd be promoted after winning first leg 3-0 away. Wow!

They've done a few games this season where their tickets are free for everyone, it's a different world. Even though I'd recommend going watching games in Germany to anyone though there's still things I maintain we do better here.

The chanting and noise and action in the ultras sections is constant from well before kick off to well after full time which is great in itself but I've found it kind of sucks out any atmosphere from other parts of the stadium, people just tend to sit in silence watching what's happening in the ultras section. Also when a goal goes in sometimes the noise barely changes, no "limbs" or anything, it just carries on as one constant noise as before!

8 hours ago, Cheshire Youri said:

Like most things in Germany, the atmosphere always seems very manufactured to me. Scripted, almost fake.

Let's create some atmosphere for the sake of creating some atmosphere.

Both spot on. Scotland has gone down the same route with the little ‘ultra’ groups being the only ones allowed to sing, and it’s the same constant drone. The best thing about the atmosphere here is how it ebbs and flows with what’s happening on the pitch. 

Looked some game in Germany last night with their play offs.

Dussledorf won the 1st leg 3-0 away then Bochum won the 2nd leg 3-0 away.

Bochum win on pens and stay up. 

6 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Looked some game in Germany last night with their play offs.

Dussledorf won the 1st leg 3-0 away then Bochum won the 2nd leg 3-0 away.

Bochum win on pens and stay up. 

You’d of won a few quid on that. Consensus was it was all done and dusted.

28 minutes ago, tomski said:

You’d of won a few quid on that. Consensus was it was all done and dusted.

They were having street parties before the game apparently.

Makes Dawn's Sheffield Wednesday coaches look small fry :D

I'll post it here.

Leeds up to their old Ridsdale ways again.

Leeds owe other clubs £190m in transfer instalments. As many as 5 of their top players are being eyed up by other teams. Just shows how spending to return HAS to work or the wheels come off.

16 hours ago, Marc505 said:

I did think it was wierd last night when their team was on the verge of blowing it (0-3 down) and they were still bouncing up and down behind the goal, as if on the verge of something great rather than on the verge of the biggest balls-up in history.  On a much lesser scale, Pompey can be a bit like that, they just sing along as if everything in the world is rosy with apparently little allowance made for what's happening on the pitch.  Not for me, but I do like the German vibe generally and the stadium designs just look better than our newer versions like the identikit one tier stands at eg Leicester, Southampton

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I did think it was wierd last night when their team was on the verge of blowing it (0-3 down) and they were still bouncing up and down behind the goal, as if on the verge of something great rather than on the verge of the biggest balls-up in history.  On a much lesser scale, Pompey can be a bit like that, they just sing along as if everything in the world is rosy with apparently little allowance made for what's happening on the pitch.  Not for me, but I do like the German vibe generally and the stadium designs just look better than our newer versions like the identikit one tier stands at eg Leicester, Southampton

Totally missed the posts above about this fixture. Drinking in the sun that :D

17 hours ago, Cheshire Youri said:

Like most things in Germany, the atmosphere always seems very manufactured to me. Scripted, almost fake.

Let's create some atmosphere for the sake of creating some atmosphere.

Could be just perception but that's the impression I get watching games at Arsenal and Liverpool.  It doesn't feel real and reactionary, lacking passion somehow.  Like they are saying "look at us, we've got some songs".  It all seems pre-determined and rehearsed.

I'm probably being unfair and they are no different to anyone else 😀

9 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Both spot on. Scotland has gone down the same route with the little ‘ultra’ groups being the only ones allowed to sing, and it’s the same constant drone. The best thing about the atmosphere here is how it ebbs and flows with what’s happening on the pitch. 

Spot on.  Sometimes, silence and tension/disappointment is best, like for most of our play off final 😀

Those Scottish "ultras" look odd, a little pocket of them at the likes of Aberdeen and Hearts, dressed in black.  Very intimidating.

How is the manager meant to hear the footballing genius like instructions from the stands with all that attention seeking bumchuffery going on?

Gerrit forward.

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

How is the manager meant to hear the footballing genius like instructions from the stands with all that attention seeking bumchuffery going on?

Gerrit forward.

Unfortunately ours just thinks about Jerome on 65mins. 

Anything to distract him would be wasted.