Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

So When Did It..

Owdun

All start going wrong ?

After 20 years away from this town and returning this June, I noticed what a shithole this place had become. The number of boarded up empty shops, shitty looking takeaways, pound shops everywhere..

Jesus it was never this bad!!

Moor lane, Bradshawgate and down bank street are what you would call eye sores. Even my old stamping ground of Chorley old road is a shithole. Halliwell road ( bottom end) is an infested eye sore..

Don't get me wrong, I grew up till the age of 12 with an outside bog, so was not born with a silver spoon shoved in my mouth.

So, when did it start to go downhill ??

• Site Supporter

There are still areas where there's a bit of pride in your surroundings. Bradshawgate became a ghost-town during the day when Primark were permitted to block off that entrance to their shop. Businesses have closed because of this. It aso left the door open to the takeaway shops. Bolton Council are desparate for the shops to look used. Used but closed during the day is fine for them. They're still pulling in rates.
Pound shops are giving the scutters what they want. Take a walk across Victoria Square. The coffee house on the corner looks like a meditteranean square with all the foriegn folk whiling away the day sat around tables fag in one hand, espresso in the other. You'll do well to hear a Bolton accent, such is the town's 'diversity'

I had the misfortune of having to kill a couple of hours this afternoon in town....

Jesus...it's bad...the amount of empty shops...even those e.g debenhams, originals, foot asylum, jd seem to stock shite....

And if they think creating these two cinema complexes is going to regenerate the town....

To many out of town shopping parks, that one on folds road, the sainsburys one...haven't helped...

They would be best flattening from great moor street down to Manchester road for a start off....

Still they think student accommodation is the answer now don't they

Its a nationwide problem, all small towns seem to be like this, especially around north west.

Shh pabbers everyone knows it's just Bolton that's gone to shit.

Bury has the rock which is decent and the market.

But the other towns round here are just as fucked. McDonald's has left Rochdale's town centre its that shite

You just can't compete with Manchester.

No word of a lie my mate text me on Sunday saying he was in Bolton at Prestons jewellers getting his mrs ring re-sized. He had 3 hours to kill and asked me for any suggestions.

I said go to Manchester.

Not knocking Bolton by the way,it's no worse than any other town in the country. Your just in the shadow of a brilliant vibrant city centre one side and middlebrook the other.

And that's not even mentioning the Trafford centre.

Edited by gonzo

Its a nationwide problem, all small towns seem to be like this, especially around north west.

Bolton is a huge town which makes the decline seem much worse, much more dereliction on show, you can see the past glories too

Lots of town centres down south are fine but there's more spending power amongst the locals and it's harder to get somewhere else to shop. If you have money and live near Bolton it's easy to get to get to Manchester or Trafford centre or a.n.other out of town place and why wouldn't you

What has happened to the town centre does smack of complacency and poor planning though, it has felt that way since the 90s at least

• Moderators

What has happened to the town centre does smack of complacency and poor planning though, it has felt that way since the 90s at least

but ultimately that fat cunt morris and his cronies have a lot to answer for.

frank, another couple that arent buying your hype

i admire youre loyalty to ex colleagues but the town centre is a shambles and it cant all be blamed on timing

once all the 'decent' shops were attracted to the market place, everywhere else was left to ruin

and thats forgetting the mess that is an unfinished one way ? plan

you can tell me and folk i know all you want about the fact that bury is also shite but the proof for me is bumping into loads of bolton folk when i venture to bury

• Members

Shh pabbers everyone knows it's just Bolton that's gone to shit.

Bury has the rock which is decent and the market.

But the other towns round here are just as fucked. McDonald's has left Rochdale's town centre its that shite

Errrrrr, I suspect our Leyth friends might have something to say about this.

• Members

you can tell me and folk i know all you want about the fact that bury is also shite but the proof for me is bumping into loads of bolton folk when i venture to bury

....and we all anticipated this mon leaping to the defence of Bury but he's reet.

Wife comes back every year and will only shop in Bury (or Manc/Trafford Centre). I don't give a fuck about shopping (apart from my trips to Scotts in Manc when over there) but have to say that Bolton does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Bury when it comes to shopping/pleasant environs etc.