Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Farage

voodoo ray

The commies are shit scared of ukip because they know for whatever reason they are making people sit up and listen. Playing the race card to defend it too...dangerous.

I've not seen the melts demonstrating against labours plan to charge 6k a year for university students yet either and assume the unions will be withdrawing their support whilst scruffs will be ripping up traffic cones along whitehall on may day until free education is given.

goose and gander, and all that.

You do know that the 6k is a reduction on current fees don't you?

University is a 3 year piss up with utterly marginal economic benefit. It used to be useful as a screening device (i.e. you wouldn't be allowed to go unless you were bright, so it signaled to employers that you were worth having) but now every bugger goes, it is just a subsidised holiday before adulthood starts. The idea that an intelligent person with 3 or 4 As at A level is rendered significantly more productive by University as opposed to 3 years well payed on the job experience is utterly laughable.

Is that the be all end all of education then, merely to finally become a unit of productivity?

If it is we might as well jack it in and switch the f*cking lights out.

Oh, you think they're all having their minds expanded by intellectual stimulation at ex-poly's being taught by people who couldn't find anything better to do?

Or you think taxpayers should pay for a piss up for the sons and daughters of the middle and upper working class? It is just a jolly up, and a 3 year one at that.

• Moderators

Oh, you think they're all having their minds expanded by intellectual stimulation at ex-poly's being taught by people who couldn't find anything better to do?

Or you think taxpayers should pay for a piss up for the sons and daughters of the middle and upper working class? It is just a jolly up, and a 3 year one at that.

stop-being-a-cunt.jpg

stop-being-a-cunt.jpg

Hilarious, but what is actually the positive argument for it, besides their parents being glad to be rid of them by 18 and otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford to move out until they're 40? Crack on if you're paying for yourself, but given every student means fewer doctors and nurses, and higher taxes, surely there should be something worthwhile at the end of it.

• Moderators

my eldest is paying for it herself

i, and her, dont have a problem with it

seeing as she cant get the job she wants without a degree, i dunno what your point is, mind

maybe we should just pay for education from the age of 5

why wait til 18, eh?

• Moderators

oh, btw, id not take you on in any argument about economics, but ffs, youve a lot to learn about the real world

you strike me as a proper spoilt brat with little understanding of owt other than an easy fcuking life

might be wrong, obvs

my eldest is paying for it herself

i, and her, dont have a problem with it

seeing as she cant get the job she wants without a degree, i dunno what your point is, mind

maybe we should just pay for education from the age of 5

why wait til 18, eh?

Your eldest hasn't take a tuition fee 'loan' then? Most people never pay them off. The government hands over real money on behalf of students who never pay it back, So they're not paying for it.

I don't deny that the present world is structured such that you need a degree to do more or less anything above minimum wage. I'm just saying it's stupid, because more or less everyone beyond medics and academics get less from a University degree than they could get from 3 years work experience. The whole thing is just a silly racket which lets parents feel proud and kids have a holiday at the expense of tax payers. 

I'm sure your daughter is a credit to you do please do not take this personally.

oh, btw, id not take you on in any argument about economics, but ffs, youve a lot to learn about the real world

you strike me as a proper spoilt brat with little understanding of owt other than an easy fcuking life

might be wrong, obvs

I think you're getting a little emotional because you're very proud (rightly) of your daughter. You know nothing of my life and how hard or easy it has been, but I;m guessing you care as little for my opinion of that as I do of yours, so we're probably equal.

Edited by maaarsh

You seemingly don't give a fuck for education, I don't particularly give a fuck for money, let's leave it there.

• Site Supporter

:)

i'm wondering whether to watch us lose by 6 wickets...

Maaaaaaaaaaarsh has clearly got to you.

What other reason could there be for such a dangerous and wildly optimistic post?

University is a 3 year piss up with utterly marginal economic benefit. It used to be useful as a screening device (i.e. you wouldn't be allowed to go unless you were bright, so it signaled to employers that you were worth having) but now every bugger goes, it is just a subsidised holiday before adulthood starts. The idea that an intelligent person with 3 or 4 As at A level is rendered significantly more productive by University as opposed to 3 years well payed on the job experience is utterly laughable.

Well said

Your eldest hasn't take a tuition fee 'loan' then? Most people never pay them off. The government hands over real money on behalf of students who never pay it back, So they're not paying for it.

I don't deny that the present world is structured such that you need a degree to do more or less anything above minimum wage. I'm just saying it's stupid, because more or less everyone beyond medics and academics get less from a University degree than they could get from 3 years work experience. The whole thing is just a silly racket which lets parents feel proud and kids have a holiday at the expense of tax payers.

I'm sure your daughter is a credit to you do please do not take this personally.

I agree that expanding the University network has undermined the value of degrees, however pretty sure that most industries recognise the difference between a degree in classics from a red brick university and a degree in needlework and art from the university of clechuddersfax. (Some might argue a degree in needlework is more use than classics but the point is the intellectual quality of the person likely to be doing the relevant course)

The whole exercise, as is keeping kids in school till 18 is an exercise to improve the unemployment figures rather than an attempt to broaden people's minds.

I have no idea what % of loans are repaid! but if they were nt at college what would they have been doing in last 3 years ? There has hardly been a glut of jobs.(edit http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/education-26688018 45% are projected not to repay the higher fees compared to 28%previouslly)

This does not mean we should criticise people who are working to improve themselves, the old days where as long you had O level maths and English and you would be alight are long gone. If you need a degree to get a job and a kid is prepared to take on the debt and work for the qualification patronising them in the way your post does is totally unfair. There again they could just accept their circumstances and do fuck all.

Out if interest you have long been Tory Boy on here, who are you thinking of voting for in the next election ?

Edited by Ani