Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

14 Million In Poverty In The Uk

globaldiver

• Site Supporter

Poverty in the UK is calculated as anyone below 60% of the median income..

That basically means anyone under 16.5k per year..

The figures become more realistic seen as minimum wage full time is roughtly 13k Per year...

Also the figures also reflect what's known as relative poverty, which means in reflection to those around you, rather than absolute poverty, which is when you have feck all..

However a deputy director at the Rowntree foundation earns over 66k a year.. They have an agenda to push,

Nah, he didn't mean it like that.

Theyre reframing the language so " Poverty =  Absolute Poverty " in folks minds , barely works in real life, doesn't work at all in a world that's on the internet all the time.

Surprised it (the statement) didn't come with Solar Panel and Loft Insulation Grant adverts around it.

• Site Supporter

Agenda to push? What agenda exactly? I'm struggling to understand your point.

If my 60k+ job depended upon making the UK look poverty stricken, I would use any technique possible to achieve that goal..

Same with the Trussell trust..  they're businesses at the end of the day and the executives want their pay.

Do you know what the Rowntree Foundation actually does? How it is funded? The history of it? Told you before if you are going to be a teacher you need to read more.

Is it something to do with Kit Kat?

Poverty in the UK is calculated as anyone below 60% of the median income..

That basically means anyone under 16.5k per year..

The figures become more realistic seen as minimum wage full time is roughtly 13k Per year...

Also the figures also reflect what's known as relative poverty, which means in reflection to those around you, rather than absolute poverty, which is when you have feck all..

However a deputy director at the Rowntree foundation earns over 66k a year.. They have an agenda to push,

So there will always be poor people then? Even if they were all well fed, had a detached house, car etc they could still be classed as poor

That's a bollocks way of measuring it

As we've already said, the easiest way to measure it is if you don't have a mobile phone your poor, if you have one your not poor

• Site Supporter

If my 60k+ job depended upon making the UK look poverty stricken, I would use any technique possible to achieve that goal..

Same with the Trussell trust..  they're businesses at the end of the day and the executives want their pay.

So you're suggesting the figures have been manipulated to keep someone in a job?

• Site Supporter

So you're suggesting the figures have been manipulated to keep someone in a job?

nope not manipulated just using other terms.. I'm saying that you never see a security salesman saying crime rates are down. So by using relative poverty figures, they paint a negative picture to raise awareness.  

• Site Supporter

nope not manipulated just using other terms.. I'm saying that you never see a security salesman saying crime rates are down. So by using relative poverty figures, they paint a negative picture to raise awareness.  

So are you suspicious of cancer charities too? Do you think they're making things up to keep themselves in a job? Or is it just charities whose research results don't fit into your political views?

• Site Supporter

I'm not saying that charities don't do good work, McMillan were brilliant for me last year and I've tried to repay that to them in every way I can and will continue to do so.

However there are some where a huge chunk of money raised goes on salaries of people high up.. 

either way its clear that people with opposing views wont see eye to eye on the matter, hence why you have tried to belittle my opinion by using the default "oh so cancer charities make stuff up". 

• Site Supporter

I'm not saying that charities don't do good work, McMillan were brilliant for me last year and I've tried to repay that to them in every way I can and will continue to do so.

However there are some where a huge chunk of money raised goes on salaries of people high up.. 

either way its clear that people with opposing views wont see eye to eye on the matter, hence why you have tried to belittle my opinion by using the default "oh so cancer charities make stuff up". 

I wasn't trying to belittle you at all and apologies if it came across that way, I just wondered why you're suspicious of this charity in particular, and the only reason I can think is that the results of their research doesn't tie in with your own personal beliefs.

So are you suspicious of cancer charities too? Do you think they're making things up to keep themselves in a job? Or is it just charities whose research results don't fit into your political views?

What?

That must be the daftest comment you've ever made!

& that's going some.

Where's the correlation in that text?

Good Lord!

• Site Supporter

What?

That must be the daftest comment you've ever made!

& that's going some.

Where's the correlation in that text?

Good Lord!

Why? If someone suggests charities manipulate research results for their own gains, why is it daft to question that theory? Maybe they do, I'm just trying to work out why someone would think that.

Of course they have to keep their charity in the spotlight. It's their job to ensure they create as much income as possible. It does not make them bad people. One might question their moral stance and pulling of emotional heartstrings advertising starving children on third rate sky channels whilst your tucking into a chicken leg but that's their job.

Why? If someone suggests charities manipulate research results for their own gains, why is it daft to question that theory? Maybe they do, I'm just trying to work out why someone would think that.

There is a huge difference between people being paid at a charity, talking & researching Poverty, needing poverty to exist to continue their well paid job.....

Hence the agenda comment.

& cancer! Something that truly exists, is probably the biggest blight on humanity & the charitable work is greatly needed for help , support & research.

A poorly chosen comparison, massively at the other end of the spectrum. Though you really do like to be controversial to exact reaction, so I shouldn't be surprised & you got your reaction.

Very sad.

• Site Supporter

There is a huge difference between people being paid at a charity, talking & researching Poverty, needing poverty to exist to continue their well paid job.....

Hence the agenda comment.

& cancer! Something that truly exists, is probably the biggest blight on humanity & the charitable work is greatly needed for help , support & research.

A poorly chosen comparison, massively at the other end of the spectrum. Though you really do like to be controversial to exact reaction, so I shouldn't be surprised & you got your reaction.

Very sad.

So presumably people who run cancer charities want cancer to exist so the can continue their well-paid jobs? Obviously not, but why suggest that of one charity and not the other? Or are you suggesting that poverty doesn't actually exist?

Edited by Cheese