Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

14 Million In Poverty In The Uk

globaldiver

There are kids in poverty here in the UK, the fact their parents manage to source i-phones or lo-grade widescreen tellies doesn't change the fact. You'd also hope the yardstick against which their lives are measured wasn't that of their counterparts in unequal (and low tax/social welfare) shitholes like India and Mexico.

• Moderators

There are kids in poverty here in the UK, the fact their parents manage to source i-phones or lo-grade widescreen tellies doesn't change the fact. You'd also hope the yardstick against which their lives are measured wasn't that of their counterparts in unequal (and low tax/social welfare) shitholes like India and Mexico.

what do you think a reasonable definition of poverty is

and i accept we shouldn't be measuring ourselves against downtiown mogadishu

• Site Supporter

If you have a mobile phone, you're not in poverty

If you wake up under 5 year old bedsheets that you can't wash, panicking because you can't feed yourself or your dependents that day, you're in poverty.

14 million my fucking ringpiece.

If you have a mobile phone, you're not in poverty

If you wake up under 5 year old bedsheets that you can't wash, panicking because you can't feed yourself or your dependents that day, you're in poverty.

14 million my fucking ringpiece.

I'm glad we have you, the definition guru of poverty on board.

what do you think a reasonable definition of poverty is

and i accept we shouldn't be measuring ourselves against downtiown mogadishu

It might be from this report from 2011

http://www.poverty.ac.uk/europe-poverty-forecast-social-exclusion-whats-new/14-million-risk-poverty-and-social-exclusion

Gives the definition though says at risk of poverty rather than actually in poverty

Edited by DirtySanchez

• Site Supporter

I'm glad we have you, the definition guru of poverty on board.

If I may remove my tongue from my cheek then

Poverty - literally - means having little or no money, goods or means of support. So maybe - literally - that is correct.

Poverty - in the real world - has a different meaning in the general consciousness. It brings to mind images of people fighting over UN aid parcels and having no running water or access to sanitation. In the real world, this is not the case for 14 million Brits.

Words, like statistics, can be used to generate feelings and opinions depending on what you want to achieve from your statement. The JR Foundation may be - literally - correct, but being honest I would still say those 14 million could have a smaller TV if it means paying the water bill.

I call BULLSHIT!

Watched a programme a few week back, think it was Beeb 2 so it might be still be kicking about on iPlayer, it had this Swedish Professor type on & it was all about World Poverty & trying to eradicate it & how World Poverty has changed over the last couple of hundred years.

He pointed out that a lot has been banded about, with regards to poverty, that they now have a new saying of Real Poverty, none exists in Europe & less than 5% Worldwide.

Poverty, My Arse!

• Moderators

I call BULLSHIT!

Watched a programme a few week back, think it was Beeb 2 so it might be still be kicking about on iPlayer, it had this Swedish Professor type on & it was all about World Poverty & trying to eradicate it & how World Poverty has changed over the last couple of hundred years.

came with rave reviews that show

didnt watch it but hes supposed to do a good turn, yon stats man

was repeated a couple of days ago

Here's an example of Dr Rosling's great thinking...

Q: Do you think in 80 years traditional developed nations will pay people to immigrate as they won't have enough labour?

A: Yes, Vietnamese migrants are yearly picking the wild lingonberries in the Swedish forests.

_70950952_rosling_this-world.jpg

He should stick to what the Swedes do best, making Volvos and wandering around Maspalomas with his cock out.