Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

14 Million In Poverty In The Uk

globaldiver

Obviously that is a case deserving of public funds, no-one could argue otherwise. But is thinking that a state pension will cover all the challenges of old age a sign of sensible planning as a younger man? Probably not. What would you tell a thirty year old now if they told you they planned to cover everything from retirement till death with their state pension?

And the reasons we have pensioners freezing to death in winter are global warming hysteria, green taxes and levies on fossil fuels. That may be many things, including a shameful national scandal, but self-inflicted it isn't. 

This guy and all his generation were generally blue collar working class.  What percentage of the population invested in stocks and shares back then? They saved to get married, buy houses or a car. No credit then. They were told for years that the state pension would be enough and for a long time it was. In the 50's the public were told all electricity would be free or cost pennies in the 60's as the Nuclear age opened up.

The privatisation of the utilities has seen catastrophic profiteering. These were not labour heavy money losing outfits, they provided basic power gas and water at affordable prices. I agree with you regarding the green levies but even without them the cost of fuel to the basic pensioner is scandalous. 

I'm not having that.

Not without all the facts anyway.

The problem with folk of that age & generation is that they don't realise, or some are too proud, to know what they are entitled to claim for.

Something like 40% of all pensioners don't claim what they're entitled too! A staggering amount

How many home visits have you made this last 10 years?

"The problem with folk of that age"  says it all really, but carry on!

• Moderators

This guy and all his generation were generally blue collar working class.  What percentage of the population invested in stocks and shares back then? They saved to get married, buy houses or a car. No credit then. They were told for years that the state pension would be enough and for a long time it was. In the 50's the public were told all electricity would be free or cost pennies in the 60's as the Nuclear age opened up.

The privatisation of the utilities has seen catastrophic profiteering. These were not labour heavy money losing outfits, they provided basic power gas and water at affordable prices. I agree with you regarding the green levies but even without them the cost of fuel to the basic pensioner is scandalous. 

is he living in his own home?

Well then why are there not millions of malnourished British 80 year olds? None of my grandparents died in poverty despite being blue collar workers their whole working lives. And they all smoked like fuck too. It sounds a wee bit naive to think that the fella you're describing did not contribute to his current bad position via decisions made earlier in life, especially if you're saying he worked for decades. It's very sad and help must be given to the poor bugger of course, but it seems common sense to manage a lifetime's earnings with at least half an eye on those final years when you will be unable to earn.  Look around any town you like - pensioners seem to me less likely than anyone to be living in poverty. They seem the most likely to be in Wetherspoons most afternoons and having lunch at the garden centre three times a week, high fuel bills or not. Good for them. 

• Moderators

"The problem with folk of that age"  says it all really, but carry on!

i think you need to read what he said, again

for me, its clear hes not putting them down, just saying theyre often guilty of not asking for the help theyre entitled to

Well then why are there not millions of malnourished British 80 year olds? None of my grandparents died in poverty despite being blue collar workers their whole working lives. And they all smoked like fuck too. It sounds a wee bit naive to think that the fella you're describing did not contribute to his current bad position via decisions made earlier in life, especially if you're saying he worked for decades. It's very sad and help must be given to the poor bugger of course, but it seems common sense to manage a lifetime's earnings with at least half an eye on those final years when you will be unable to earn.  Look around any town you like - pensioners seem to me less likely than anyone to be living in poverty. They seem the most likely to be in Wetherspoons most afternoons and having lunch at the garden centre three times a week, high fuel bills or not. Good for them. 

or under the feet in M&S

So proclaim the BBC, via the Joseph Rowntree Foundation.

I'm sorry, I just don't see that

The Joeseph Rowntree Foundation is dodgy as fuck.

Don't be suprised if Iran's new Long Range Missles are funded by them

It would appear our asylum seekers are a long way from the poverty line...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-34527534

Typical example of pissing away public money, they should tender shit like this out to the mar...

Anyway, there aren't malnourished 80 year olds because Werthers are calorific as fuck and they generally do fuck all too, get them down to Asda dragging the punters in, Wally Mart needs a new diamond encrusted bib.

And in other news, two rich blokes are a step closer to pauper's graves after being shafted by two sour-faced sore loser ex-wives. Never mind the money, at least they're now finally shut of them, and that's all that matters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34524641

Edited by Youri McAnespie

In my view, there is "hardly any" poverty in this country. Very few go to bed hungry, very few don't have a bed. And many of those, we should help.

As Maggie intimates, we have poverty of thought, of aspiration and my concern is those who need to understand that, cannot. This is what is holding us back.

I don't have to make home visits, they come to me, & a monumental larger amount than you've visited in the last 10 years.

No use debating with you. I could throw at you the malnutrition data for the over 65's but then you'd probably claim you have seen it all before or disagree with it. Fuck me!

Carry on with your attitude that its all "their fault" or  there are no breadline old pensioners if it makes you feel all warm and cosy  :nea:

i think you need to read what he said, again

for me, its clear hes not putting them down, just saying theyre often guilty of not asking for the help theyre entitled to

The problem "with folk that age" is exactly that many would not have a clue were to start, they are often confused, frail and suffering from ailments.

Its using the term guilty that pisses me off.

I think with many of these 14 million it's a case of them not knowing, or caring to manage the money and resources they have. If the answer is  government monitoring of how they spend their money(as in America with foodstamps), it gets very Orwellian.

Edited by land_and_sea

This guy and all his generation were generally blue collar working class. What percentage of the population invested in stocks and shares back then? They saved to get married, buy houses or a car. No credit then. They were told for years that the state pension would be enough and for a long time it was. In the 50's the public were told all electricity would be free or cost pennies in the 60's as the Nuclear age opened up.

I've no idea what the circumstances are regarding the pensioner that you are referring to but to say that people of that age were told that the state pension would be enough is totally wrong. All my elder relatives, who would be of that age and were typical 'working class' folk, always knew that they would have to 'put something away' for retirement. That could be savings, private pension or property. I know of none that invested in the stock market or had the benefit of an inheritance.

No use debating with you. I could throw at you the malnutrition data for the over 65's but then you'd probably claim you have seen it all before or disagree with it. Fuck me!

Carry on with your attitude that its all "their fault" or there are no breadline old pensioners if it makes you feel all warm and cosy :nea:

Except I didn't say that did I? If you get off your high horse, I'll happily debate it with you & help with some suggestions, like a do with lots of people every day.

The point I was making, if there were more facts, is that there is no need in this day & age, in our society, that any oap, pensioner, or the much derided 'people of a certain age' should be in that situation. There are many services available to avoid it & I'm guessing you are involved in one of them.

3 million people at any one time in the UK suffer from malnutrition or are in significant danger of becoming malnourished using the MUST tool as the standard screening technique. Research quantifying screening shows that 10% of the UK over 65's suffer from malnutrition so that  is 10% of 10.9 million so no there are not millions but there is over 1 million over 65 who suffer.

See evidence below. But if your measure is "pop your head around the door of Spoons" or walking around town then yes its highly likely you won't see these malnourished old folk as they will be hardly in the sort of health to be marching down the high street for a session.

Now i agree with managing finances, but this is now and that was then. Like I said many thought they were covered.

http://www.nutrition.org.uk/.../153_Undernutrition%20in%20the%20UK.pdf

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Malnutrition/Pages/Introduction.aspx

https://www.rcn.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/12537/malnutrition.pdf

A total abuse of language as usual. People rightly find poverty abohorant. Sp campaigners just decide to redefine 'poverty' to mean something that no longer really generates that emotional response, in the hope they can generate an emotional response to the fact some people have lower incomes than others, but on the whole still eat, watch TV and have a roof over their heads.

It's all dependant on your definition of poverty

When I think poverty I think of a Charles Dickens description of it

10 in a bedroom, all the girls in your family whoring themselves out etc etc

Clearly the description used to get to 14m is vastly different

For me as long as you have a decent roof over your head with full utilities and enough budget for a reasonable diet and to get by (clothing travel etc) then your not poor

The reason why opinion is polarised is because there are far too many taking the piss and spending welfare on scratch cards, fags & booze - then going to a food bank and crying poverty to anyone who will listen

U fortunately these people just aren't capable / responsible enough to spend their own money

Edited by birch-chorley

It's all dependant on your definition of poverty

When I think poverty I think of a Charles Dickens description of it

10 in a bedroom, all the girls in your family whoring themselves out etc etc :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Clearly the description used to get to 14m is vastly different

For me as long as you have a decent roof over your head with full utilities and enough budget for a reasonable diet and to get by (clothing travel etc) then your not poor

The reason why opinion is polarised is because there are far too many taking the piss and spending welfare on scratch cards, fags & booze - then going to a food bank and crying poverty to anyone who will listen

U fortunately these people just aren't capable / responsible enough to spend their own money