Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

14 Million In Poverty In The Uk

globaldiver

If I may remove my tongue from my cheek then

Poverty - literally - means having little or no money, goods or means of support. So maybe - literally - that is correct.

Poverty - in the real world - has a different meaning in the general consciousness. It brings to mind images of people fighting over UN aid parcels and having no running water or access to sanitation. In the real world, this is not the case for 14 million Brits.

Words, like statistics, can be used to generate feelings and opinions depending on what you want to achieve from your statement. The JR Foundation may be - literally - correct, but being honest I would still say those 14 million could have a smaller TV if it means paying the water bill.

The fact you think it's about tv's and phones suggests we differ greatly. I think it's all rather sad to be honest that kids grow up without fuck all, that may make a soft bastard but so be it.

I won't also claim I do a great deal to change this but I think to come out with 'get a smaller Tele' or 'don't have a mobile' comes across as a bit daft imo.

A Polaroid telly (which is really the XiangDengXiaoping Electrics and Farmery Company, but trading under Polaroid's previously good name) is about £61.69 on Black Friday, £61.69 wouldn't pay anyone's water bill.

Well, maybe it would buy a well for those idle c*nts in Burkina Faso, the ones who Keke Rosberg reckons have never had it so good (which may be true, but doesn't detract from the fact it's still pretty shite).

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter

The fact you think it's about tv's and phones suggests we differ greatly. I think it's all rather sad to be honest that kids grow up without fuck all, that may make a soft bastard but so be it.

I won't also claim I do a great deal to change this but I think to come out with 'get a smaller Tele' or 'don't have a mobile' comes across as a bit daft imo.

I think you've missed my point a bit too mate

I'm more concerned with the definition than the fact people are definitely on the bones of their arse.

To make such a sweeping generalisation that 14 MILLION people are in poverty just strikes me as a political, attention grabbing headline.

We are a developed nation and quite rightly, people are aspirational. No problem with that at all.

I just think this "statistic" glosses over the fact that many people are unable to have "nice" things, as opposed to simply not starving to death.

I take your point, though.

Through my time volunteering with a young persons charity in Bury I can say compared to The Sudan people over here aren't in poverty.

Compared to the living standards of the vast majority of people there most certainly are folk living well below the bread line and with no real hope of ever getting above it.

What complete toss. Although this is easily explained by poverty charities and advocates not requiring to exist any more once poverty doesn't exist.

The only poverty in the UK is self-inflicted. I bet mind you that the poorest are those who the most welfare money has been spent on.

Who would you want the most welfare spent on?

The only poverty in the UK is self-inflicted.  

Bit a of sweeping generalisation there. Tell that to the malnourished 80 year old veteran I visited as a shadow Dietitian in August. There were many other in this age bracket worrying about whether they would have to put their gas fires on this winter. They were told in their youth that their state pensions would cover all in their retirement.

Bit a of sweeping generalisation there. Tell that to the malnourished 80 year old veteran I visited as a shadow Dietitian in August. There were many other in this age bracket worrying about whether they would have to put their gas fires on this winter. They were told in their youth that their state pensions would cover all in their retirement.

Was obviously a pisshead head in his youth wasting his money on bakelite phones and radiograms.

Obviously that is a case deserving of public funds, no-one could argue otherwise. But is thinking that a state pension will cover all the challenges of old age a sign of sensible planning as a younger man? Probably not. What would you tell a thirty year old now if they told you they planned to cover everything from retirement till death with their state pension?

And the reasons we have pensioners freezing to death in winter are global warming hysteria, green taxes and levies on fossil fuels. That may be many things, including a shameful national scandal, but self-inflicted it isn't. 

I'm not having that.

Not without all the facts anyway.

The problem with folk of that age & generation is that they don't realise, or some are too proud, to know what they are entitled to claim for.

Something like 40% of all pensioners don't claim what they're entitled too! A staggering amount